The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Flatpicking Carl Miner's Preston Thompson d42 tune on my new guitar (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637669)

tdlwhite 01-21-2022 11:06 AM

Flatpicking Carl Miner's Preston Thompson d42 tune on my new guitar

Another month, another attempt at a Carl Miner TNAG demo tune.

This one's a beauty, and it gives me the opportunity to show off my new guitar. I figured a dread would help me match Carl's tone -- but really it mostly helped me reduce my bank balance by a large amount.

Didn't bother with anything in the DAW except a high-pass filter. I did use a different pick for this, a 1.0 Ultex. I was going to do something more interesting with the mics, but ended up just spaced-pair SDC panned hard right/left.

Glennwillow 01-21-2022 02:27 PM

Very nice job on this, Tom!

Is your new guitar a Martin D-42? Very pretty and it sounds great! :)

- Glenn

tdlwhite 01-21-2022 02:40 PM

Thanks Glenn!

It's a D-41 (yes, yes, I should have matched TNAG's D-42). I am not a huge fan of the fancy inlay, but I was looking locally for a dread and it played so beautifully I managed to look past the abalone to the inner beauty.

It's the reimagined version -- I couldn't believe how easy it was to play (compared to other martins/gibsons that I tried) and how big it sounded. Not cheap though, even used.

Tom

Tnfiddler 01-21-2022 03:20 PM

That’s pretty awesome! I’m in awe of everything Carl does on those TNAG demos! Next time, you have to pan the camera back and forth constantly, so we can’t watch your hands and see what you’re playing.(The only part of their demos I don’t like!) Great job on playing that!

815C 01-21-2022 03:49 PM

Great job! Killer tone!

tdlwhite 01-21-2022 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tnfiddler (Post 6912376)
That’s pretty awesome! I’m in awe of everything Carl does on those TNAG demos! Next time, you have to pan the camera back and forth constantly, so we can’t watch your hands and see what you’re playing.(The only part of their demos I don’t like!) Great job on playing that!

Thanks! You're on to something - I really should start panning - and I should probably get an out-of-focus mic in the way too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 815C (Post 6912407)
Great job! Killer tone!

Thanks - every now and then, when I'm playing, it sounds so nice that it tricks me into thinking that it's not me!

UKPhil 01-22-2022 03:00 AM

As I commented on YT this is superb Tom!!

I have recently started fumbling about with a pick after decades of just playing fingerstyle so I now really appreciate this style of playing and the difficulties involved.

You seemed to have this nailed and the Martin sounds superb!!

tdlwhite 01-22-2022 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKPhil (Post 6912803)
I have recently started fumbling about with a pick after decades of just playing fingerstyle so I now really appreciate this style of playing and the difficulties involved.
You seemed to have this nailed and the Martin sounds superb!!

Thanks Phil! I have to admit, I am really loving the Martin. 'Copying' Carl is really helping me focus on all aspects of playing from right hand picking, left hand cleanness, timing and sound and more.

I'm about 11 months into my 'get better at picking' journey now (add a couple more months if you include some electric guitar stuff I had a go at) and it is slow progress. I mean, I am happy to be able to play what I can, but I wasn't starting from anywhere near zero; it's 30 years since I started playing!

These recordings are really very helpful. They pretty much take the place of practicing for a live performance; they give me an end-point to work toward: start-to-finish-in-one-take-with-few-errors.

RodB 01-22-2022 08:18 AM

I really enjoyed listening to this, Tom. Lovely tone and expression in your clean playing. Thanks for sharing.

Glennwillow 01-22-2022 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdlwhite (Post 6912326)
Thanks Glenn!

It's a D-41 (yes, yes, I should have matched TNAG's D-42). I am not a huge fan of the fancy inlay, but I was looking locally for a dread and it played so beautifully I managed to look past the abalone to the inner beauty.

It's the reimagined version -- I couldn't believe how easy it was to play (compared to other martins/gibsons that I tried) and how big it sounded. Not cheap though, even used.

Tom

Tom,

I think your new D-41 both sounds and looks great! Congratulations! :)

- Glenn

started with 1 01-22-2022 12:16 PM

The sound you get is amazing.

string1399 01-22-2022 12:50 PM

That's some nice playing. I enjoyed it.

SalFromChatham 01-22-2022 01:14 PM

What a fantastic tune, playing, and recording. I am in awe.

tdlwhite 01-22-2022 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodB (Post 6912940)
I really enjoyed listening to this, Tom. Lovely tone and expression in your clean playing. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Rod - pleased you liked it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by started with 1 (Post 6913224)
The sound you get is amazing.

And that's straight to mics with a HPF only - nothing to it! (well, not quite true, lots of messing around went into it, but in the end simple was best)

Quote:

Originally Posted by string1399 (Post 6913261)
That's some nice playing. I enjoyed it.

Thanks string!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SalFromChatham (Post 6913297)
What a fantastic tune, playing, and recording. I am in awe.

Thanks Sal. The tune's been on my 'carl list' for ages, and was perfect for my new guitar.

Doug Young 01-22-2022 06:05 PM

That's really nice, Tom! Excellent sound.