The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Build and Repair (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Neck adjustment (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496204)

Dirty Bill 01-12-2018 09:26 PM

Neck adjustment

Do you all have any tips for adjusting acoustic guitar neck? It seems I just go back and forth. :confused:

mirwa 01-12-2018 11:41 PM

In what way are we talking adjusting, are we refrring to truss rod adjustments or neck shim adjustments

Steve

BT55 02-21-2018 04:38 PM

Neck adjustments can be misunderstood. Adjusting the neck is to correct its bow, not for string height. As a rule you should adjust about a 1/4 turn at a time. Let the guitar neck move and about 10 minutes later another 1/4 turn as required. If this is a string height issue that is corrected by adjusting the height of the bridge saddle.

charles Tauber 02-21-2018 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BT55 (Post 5647456)
Adjusting the neck is to correct its bow, not for string height. As a rule you should adjust about a 1/4 turn at a time. Let the guitar neck move and about 10 minutes later another 1/4 turn as required.

I've never met a professional who adjusts a truss rod this way.

Start by measuring what you have, rather than randomly adjusting the truss rod. A common value is .005" to .01" as measured at the 7th fret. If you have that, adjustment of the truss rod isn't likely appropriate.

Silly Moustache 02-21-2018 05:42 PM

Quote:

Neck adjustments can be misunderstood. Adjusting the neck is to correct its bow, not for string height. As a rule you should adjust about a 1/4 turn at a time. Let the guitar neck move and about 10 minutes later another 1/4 turn as required. If this is a string height issue that is corrected by adjusting the height of the bridge saddle.

I concur, on the understanding that neck relief has already been adjudged to be too extreme in one way or another.

I prefer action on my guitars to be a tad higher than the makers recommend - they say .005" and I prefer more like .008" at the seventh with capo on first and string pressed done on highest (19th) fret.

DenverSteve 02-21-2018 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Bill (Post 5600874)
Do you all have any tips for adjusting acoustic guitar neck? It seems I just go back and forth. :confused:

Tips for adjusting what aspect of the neck? Back and forth how/with what? The question as it is presented can’t be answered.

BT55 02-23-2018 04:52 PM

Neck adjustment

Quote:

Originally Posted by charles Tauber (Post 5647512)
I've never met a professional who adjusts a truss rod this way.

Start by measuring what you have, rather than randomly adjusting the truss rod. A common value is .005" to .01" as measured at the 7th fret. If you have that, adjustment of the truss rod isn't likely appropriate.

You are correct based on the concept that you have measuring devices that can determine the relief. The OP is looking for an answer that he can use. If he wanted pro help he would go to a Luthier. Anyone can use a household straightedge to determine the neck relief. For regular people - not luthiers, small adjustments with testing will accomplish correcting the neck bow. You can also use a quarter to determine string height at the twelfth fret. No special tools required.

Guest 1928 02-25-2018 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BT55 (Post 5649687)
You are correct based on the concept that you have measuring devices that can determine the relief. The OP is looking for an answer that he can use. If he wanted pro help he would go to a Luthier. Anyone can use a household straightedge to determine the neck relief. For regular people - not luthiers, small adjustments with testing will accomplish correcting the neck bow. You can also use a quarter to determine string height at the twelfth fret. No special tools required.

That's a strange response, as nothing in Charles's response requires terribly sophisticated tools. A straightedge and feeler gauges only on cost a few dollars. Anyone wishing to make their own adjustments ought to be willing to invest a few dollars in such simple tools. For $25 or less we can dispense with crude methods like coins.

John Arnold 02-26-2018 02:40 AM

'back and forth' would imply that you are overshooting, possibly because you are not waiting long enough for the adjustment to take effect. Turn it less and wait longer. Also, adjust when the strings are up to pitch, if possible. That prevents wild swings that can occur when tightening and loosening the strings.

JackB1 02-27-2018 11:49 AM

Quote:

it really takes 10 mins for the neck to move? I have seen guitar techs adjust a truss rod and then IMMEDIATELY check it again.

BT55 03-01-2018 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 5653732)
it really takes 10 mins for the neck to move? I have seen guitar techs adjust a truss rod and then IMMEDIATELY check it again.

Stew-Mac article “Don't be nervous about adjusting that truss rod!”
“After adjusting the rod I’ll usually let the instrument “settle” into the adjustment for a few hours and then I’ll evaluate it again and tweak it if necessary.”

Rodger Knox 03-02-2018 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 5653732)

That depends on the type and condition of the truss rod. Most will respond in a few minutes or less, some take longer.

murrmac123 03-02-2018 11:57 AM

I may be unique in doing this, but I never tighten a truss-rod without first applying pressure to the center of the back of the neck.

Way I see it, that gives the neck a chance to "settle back" instead of "creeping forward".

Dirty Bill 03-04-2018 06:36 PM

Thanks for your replies.