The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Question for Kramster: X20 vs CH-OM. (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528317)

gerardo1000 11-15-2018 09:01 PM

Question for Kramster: X20 vs CH-OM.

Hello sir,

Which is the one that you prefer between your Emerald X20 and your Rainsong CH-OM ?

Thank you for your opinion !

:)

kramster 11-15-2018 09:33 PM

If I had to say and was forced at gun point or twizzler stick ...the 20...Hmmmm How'd I get dragged into this anyway ...I was minding my own business playing piano??

gerardo1000 11-16-2018 03:09 PM

Thank you Kramster. Do you have time to describe the differences in tone ?
I ordered a Rainsong CH-OM only acoustic from Ted, at a fantastic price. My son has an Emerald X20 built 11 years ago ! I understand that Emerald guitars now are even better, but I could not afford the price now that Alistair only offers the Artisan models.

Earl49 11-16-2018 03:23 PM

Tone is very hard to describe with words. The Emerald X20 is fairly loud, very warm, and quite nice overall. The Rainsong CH is a little warmer than their standard woven topped series because of the uni-directional CF top, but otherwise Rainsongs tend to have a fairly forward, loud, and bright-ish tone.

To use an analogy, The Rainsong could be described as a spruce topped guitar versus the Emerald as a warmer mahogany topped guitar. But that description is just as arbitrary is any other.

GuitarLuva 11-16-2018 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerardo1000 (Post 5891351)
Hello sir,

Which is the one that you prefer between your Emerald X20 and your Rainsong CH-OM ?

Thank you for your opinion !

:)

I used to have a Rainsong Black Ice (BI-WS1000N2) which seems to be very similar to the CH-OM. While I thought the guitar was nice looking and beautifully crafted there were several things that I disliked about it which is why I got rid of it. I found it very uncomfortable to play. That N2 neck which is pretty beefy now has a truss rod. When you pick up the guitar you can actually feel all the weight is in the neck so sitting down I found I was fighting to keep the guitar upright (standing up playing is even worse). I found the tone to be very bright and it had a weird "hifi" kind of sound. Now the OM has a unidirectional sound board compared to the all carbon of the black ice so I would imagine its warmer sounding.

But in all honestly when it comes to just comfort alone I think Emerald is not only miles ahead of Rainsong, but miles ahead of all guitar makers. This is of course just my opinion but I hope this info helps!

jdinco 11-16-2018 04:47 PM

I had a H-WS1000 and liked it a lot, until the X20 came along, then I sold it because it wasn't getting played. Rainsongs are nice, but.....

Frettingflyer 11-16-2018 08:31 PM

My experience is a bit differn’t here. I sold the X20 and have 2 Rainsongs. I love the Shorty and can’t see it ever leaving, while the WS-1000 is a big bodied guitar with distinct edges, which I have found a bit big in the bout, but the sound is awesome.
I had some issue with the X20 neck(due to me,nothing wrong with it), which kept me from being able to play for an extended period of time without hand pain, so it reluctantly left. The Emerald is an awesome instrument and I would second Earl’s analogy. Fortunately I really like the “spruce” sound, but I also have a “hog” guitar.
I think you will enjoy CH-OM which is essentially the Shorty by another name if I understand correctly. I certainly enjoy the Rainsong and would be surprised if you didn’t as well. Then you can save your pennies and have both one day:)

Captain Jim 11-16-2018 10:27 PM

A Shorty was my first carbon fiber guitar; it is a very nice guitar. When the X7 arrived, the Shorty didn't get much play. (I liked the sound and feel of the X7 that much more.) When the X20 arrived, the Shorty stayed in its case for a year before I decided to find it a good home. The X20 is (to me) more versatile; a warmer (and richer) sound, louder, and more comfortable. That didn't make the Shorty any less of a great guitar - the X20 was simply better for me; I found the N2 neck on the Shorty too chunky for my preference.