The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Who does it best? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515967)

brad2001 07-11-2018 06:26 PM

Who does it best?

As some songs go, written and performed by one, or written for another, it seems that sometimes another party comes along and just "owns" the song. What comes to my mind is Dave Masons' "Feelin Alright", I've had it on disk forever, even saw him perform it, but Joe Cocker, (saw him in a 1200 seat venue,what a show) well, it seems to be his song, may he rest in peace. Anyone else feel this way? If so, what say you?

Gibson Dove
67 Fender Coronado II mod

agfsteve 07-11-2018 06:42 PM

Such Great Heights, originally by The Postal Service, covered by Iron and Wine.

Except now I like them about equally.

Basalt Beach 07-11-2018 06:53 PM

Here are two that I can easily recall

The song New York, New York made famous by Frank Sinatra was originally sung by Liza Minelli in the 1977 movie of the same name directed by Martin Scorsese. Sinatra owns that song.

The song Hurt - originally written and performed by Nine Inch Nails then performed by Johnny Cash. With 122M views on YT, Johnny owns that song now.

StrummingMadMan 07-11-2018 07:00 PM

I’m a big fan of Sound of Silence originally by Simon and Garfunkel then covered by Disturbed.

BrunoBlack 07-11-2018 07:13 PM

catdaddy 07-11-2018 07:26 PM

All of The Byrds' Dylan covers I prefer over the originals. On the other hand, I prefer The Turtles' cover of the Byrds' You Showed Me. However, I prefer The Mothers' version of The Turtles' hit Happy Together. I've never heard a Zappa cover that I've liked better than the original, but maybe one day Dylan will do one and just like he did with The Band the circle will be unbroken.

frankmcr 07-11-2018 07:33 PM

Well now I like ol' Uncle Bob's voice, myself, but even so:

Byrds - you ain't goin' nowhere
The Band - when I paint my masterpiece
Julie Driscoll & Brian Auger - this wheel's on fire
Johnny Cash - don't think twice, it's all right
Fairport Convention - i'll keep it with mine
oh, and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZes9-dadVg

Johnny Winter - from a buick six

Nyghthawk 07-11-2018 08:15 PM

Johnny Winter - Highway 61 Revisited
Indigo Girls - Tangled up in Blue

Earwitness 07-11-2018 11:29 PM

“You’ve Got A Friend”—Carole King or James Taylor

“LA Freeway”—Guy Clark or Jerry Jeff Walker

Earwitness 07-11-2018 11:53 PM

“I Will Always Love You”—Dolly Parton’s song or Whitney Houston’s?

mtcross 07-12-2018 12:06 AM

I was having a variation on this discussion just the other day; I am a huge fan of The Band's version of Atlantic City, but my friend was more impressed with Springsteen's rendition.

Silurian 07-12-2018 04:58 AM

Killing me Softly. I prefer Lori Liebermans original recording to Roberta Flack.

Hallelujah. Cohen or Buckley?

The Dutchman. Written by Michael Smith. Goodman's is probably the best known, but IMO Clancy's version is in a different league.

M19 07-12-2018 05:06 AM

Dylan >> The Byrds- Mr. Tambourine Man.

John Denver >> Peter, Paul and Mary - Leaving on a Jet Plane.

and, IMO:

Paul Simon >> Yes - America

Johnny K 07-12-2018 06:14 AM

Gary Moore - Shapes Of Things, originally the Yardbirds. He kills it. My first exposure to the greatness that was Gary Moore the solo artist (Thin Lizzy dont count). I like the Yardbirds version too.

Van Halen - Pretty Woman originally Roy Orbison and You Got Me Going, originally by the Kinks, I'm going from memory, but doesn't Eruption precede this song on the album?

Jeff Beck - Goodbye Pork Pie Hat, originally Charles Mingus. Love both versions, Beck's version is outstanding.

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Little Wing, Voodoo Chile, Superstitious. Just really grooving versions of already great songs.

Allman Brothers - Come On Into My Kitchen, a great version of the old Robert Johnson song.

Robben Ford - Politician by Cream and Worried Life Blues by Big Maceo Merriweather. Two great covers, re imagined spectacularly by Ford.

This may not count, since he asked him to do it,

Arlo Guthrie - City of New Orleans, Steve Goodman wrote it and I've seen him perform it on YouTube, but Guthrie's version is the best.

KevWind 07-12-2018 06:35 AM

While it is natural to have favorites . I don't know it is so much "who does it best" as it is just different and great and sometimes more commercially successful . The ability of great performers to take somebody else's song and make it their own, while being recognizable, has long been part and parcel of great talent. The mark of great talent is the ability to cover a song convincingly . The mark of a great song is that great talent can and do, make it their own

Here is a good example of a multi talent effort with the Buddy Holly tune "Not Fade Away" at the Austin City Limits 40 yr. show