The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Taylor Expression System 2 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628408)

pjbelsch 10-12-2021 11:20 AM

Taylor Expression System 2
 
What are your recommendations for getting the most out of the Taylor expression system 2? I currently use a Helix for my acoustics but wondering if anyone uses any other DI boxes to get the most out of the system.

Thanks!

dnf777 10-12-2021 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjbelsch (Post 6830877)
What are your recommendations for getting the most out of the Taylor expression system 2? I currently use a Helix for my acoustics but wondering if anyone uses any other DI boxes to get the most out of the system.

Thanks!

Howdy! What guitar is it in? Didnt see a Taylor in your signature. I prefer K&Ks, but have a couple Taylors with the ES2, and am happy with them. I guess they get some bad reviews, but Im not seeing (hearing) why.

Ive tried a Helix, but I find it too complicated for my simple, Luddite needs, so I settled on the fishman ToneDEQ. Have also played with Aura and ToneDexter, and while they certainly do what they do, I dont find them necessary. The DEQ gives me all the tone shaping I need, and have a decent reverb and chorus aas bonus.

Good luck and have fun. I think the ES2 exceeds its reputation.

Gordon Currie 10-12-2021 12:46 PM

The Helix IS all of those 'other boxes'. EQ, delay, reverb, compression, IR, even variable impedance.

pjbelsch 10-12-2021 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnf777 (Post 6830943)
Howdy! What guitar is it in? Didnt see a Taylor in your signature. I prefer K&Ks, but have a couple Taylors with the ES2, and am happy with them. I guess they get some bad reviews, but Im not seeing (hearing) why.

Ive tried a Helix, but I find it too complicated for my simple, Luddite needs, so I settled on the fishman ToneDEQ. Have also played with Aura and ToneDexter, and while they certainly do what they do, I dont find them necessary. The DEQ gives me all the tone shaping I need, and have a decent reverb and chorus aas bonus.

Good luck and have fun. I think the ES2 exceeds its reputation.

I got a 414ce-r that Isn’t in my signature

dnf777 10-12-2021 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjbelsch (Post 6831072)
I got a 414ce-r that Isn’t in my signature

Nice. And yes, that helix really is “all the other boxes”. Only problem, is I can spend hours exploring all its features. Strymon reverb, too. They really are amazing boxes!

pjbelsch 10-12-2021 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnf777 (Post 6831078)
Nice. And yes, that helix really is “all the other boxes”. Only problem, is I can spend hours exploring all its features. Strymon reverb, too. They really are amazing boxes!

yeah I had a big sky for a while excellent product. I have a few helix patches for my acoustics already. ill need to add one in for the Taylor

tbtxaz21 10-14-2021 05:20 PM

I have an older 2004ish 810 that had the expression 1. Never liked it. Sent it back to Taylor to install an expression 2. It’s better but still not great.

Late last year I took my whole rig into a local shop with great inventory and just started playing guitars through it. Was looking for something that sounded the best plugged into my specific system. Ended up with a Larivee with an Anthem.

I still play the 810. Plays great and sounds great, just not that great plugged in to my ears.

Def loving the anthem.

lpaul626 10-17-2021 05:53 AM

2014 Taylor 814ce here. I went through a similar “adventure.” My Taylor had the original ES2 which I found to be too midrangey. After researching here,I upgraded to the latest ES2 which has much less midrange and “punch.” Huge improvement.

That said, I added a Fishman Pro Eq/DI and works/sounds great.

craigj 10-18-2021 01:34 PM

Best consistent acoustic live sound I’ve heard was a guy with a Taylor 810 through a Baggs Venue. I have a Venue and just picked up an AD17e blacktop with the ES-2 that I’m eager to check out.

SalFromChatham 10-18-2021 02:40 PM

I just got a Taylor AD17e… I am trying it in my Loudbox mini. It’s ok. I’m also trying it through a fire eye red eye into the mic channel (not instrument). Again just ok. I feel like I am hearing some quack or distortion or break up. I am still trying to figure it out. Maybe my ear are having a bad day because my J45 with k&k also sounds blehhh.

I’ll take any tips! I’d like to use it at a gig Thursday night. I would be plugging into a PA system, and I would like the fire eye for the boost functionality.

DjFuzzyMcPickle 10-18-2021 08:42 PM

I have ES2 latest version in both my guitars in my signature below. I think they are exceptional for a simple plug-and-play system that you can definitely tweak if needed. But if you don't I think they work excellent.

TedBPhx 10-19-2021 09:41 AM

2019 Taylor 814 - latest ES2, I think. Play through a Mesa Rosette. The amp’s tone stack with its two semi-parametric mids allows me to dial in an excellent acoustic tone.

tbtxaz21 10-19-2021 10:11 AM

I run my 810 through a Venue when I use it. It’s certainly workable, just not my top preference. I bring it every gig as a backup in case I break a string.

jjbigfly 10-19-2021 08:59 PM

I always disliked the Taylor system. The first one (in a 710) was difficult to get a good sound, but you could. Sold that one and ended up with a 814ce with the es system. Had issues with that one also. While cruising around the net I ran across a video with Bob Taylor and 2 others (sorry, memory must be slipping) about adjusting the ES system. Finished the video, turned on my system and dialed in my guitar. Pretty simple, I had just never thought about setting up the system correctly. Hey! Volume bass and treble, what else is there to know? Duh!
Too sharp/harsh? Bring the bass and treble up.
No mids? Turn the bass and treble down.
Then use the volume knob for most clean signal.
Or either knob…. The mids are fixed, so you adjust around them. I think of it as “gain staging” but for tone, not volume. Getting the best setting for tone only makes it easier to dial in the tone on a mixer or whatever.
I think…..but sometimes I read something I wrote and wonder what I was trying to say.
Taylor makes a good system FOR MY USES. Your experience could be a whole lot different. But this is my tale 😇

waterlooz 10-19-2021 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjbelsch (Post 6830877)
What are your recommendations for getting the most out of the Taylor expression system 2? I currently use a Helix for my acoustics but wondering if anyone uses any other DI boxes to get the most out of the system.

Thanks!

ES2 -> Sarno Black Box -> RedEye


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=