The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Fishman Aura Spectrum DI & Audient ID22 Interface (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534370)

amsmarle 01-12-2019 03:49 AM

Fishman Aura Spectrum DI & Audient ID22 Interface

Please can you tell me if THE Fishman Aura Spectrum Di preamp:

1) Will work with an Audio Interface... (Audient ID22)
2) I have just got the Aura Spectrum as an Xmas present and the volume output is extremely low.
I'm using an ( XLR to 1/4 TRS balanced cable) connecting the XLR out of the Aura and the 1/4 TRS end into my interface channel
combo connection (Line in),
3) I should not need the interface channel volume turned up at all... but I need it turned up
at least 80% before I get any sound at all, which means I am doubling up on the preamps..?
4) Even if I connect the Aura into the Return send of my interface which should bypass the interface preamp altogether I get absolutely no sound at all
5) I am also using a Fishman Rare Earth blend (not a piezo)

Please can anyone advise me

Monsum 01-12-2019 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amsmarle (Post 5945862)
1) Will work with an Audio Interface... (Audient ID22)
2) I have just got the Aura Spectrum as an Xmas present and the volume output is extremely low.
I'm using an ( XLR to 1/4 TRS balanced cable) connecting the XLR out of the Aura and the 1/4 TRS end into my interface channel
combo connection (Line in),
3) I should not need the interface channel volume turned up at all... but I need it turned up
at least 80% before I get any sound at all, which means I am doubling up on the preamps..?
4) Even if I connect the Aura into the Return send of my interface which should bypass the interface preamp altogether I get absolutely no sound at all
5) I am also using a Fishman Rare Earth blend (not a piezo)

Yes, both will work perfectly together if everything is gain-staged properly.
Firstly, there is a trim control on the Aura DI which, depending on how hot a pickup output is, can be turned all the way up. This and the Aura volume knob will give the hottest output signal from the Fishman.
Then you can connect to the interface via 1/4 jack cable: Aura output->ID22 input 1 or 2
or using an XLR cable: Aura DI Output -> ID22 XLR inputs.
If the signal is still not high you could turn the gain knob up on the ID44 but you shouldn't need much.
I'm not sure what you mean by 80% volume turned up. Do you mean 'gain' or 'volume'? Because if it's the latter that's normal because on the Audient interfaces every time you switch them on, they default to zero volume and need the volume (the biggest knob)to be turned up. But that's not the same as preamp gain, so you don't double up the preampfification.

amsmarle 01-12-2019 08:56 AM

Hi Monsum, Thanks for your response:

1) I have the Aura volume and trim at full up
2) I have an XLR out from the Aura with the 1/4 TRS end going to the Line In on Ch2 (The 1/4 in on the combo connection) the Ch2 gain knob needs to be at say 80% to be able to get any sound.
(Sorry I'm saying volume when I should be saying gain)

I thought the Ch2 gain knob needed to stay at 0 in order to not be using the Ch2 Preamp (i.e. doubling up)

The only volume knobs are the one on the Aura and the one for my headphones on the ID22

3) Why do I not see the Aura volume clip light working at all..?

Thanks for help
Best Regards

Monsum 01-12-2019 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amsmarle (Post 5946061)
Why do I not see the Aura volume clip light working at all..?

It only lights up when the signal is too hot. I have a Fishman Platinum Stage and there is a similar clip LED and I can see the light coming on only with an active acoustic bass pickup. So I think your Fishman RE blend doesn't produce a hot enough output to cause any clipping on the Aura but that is fine. Many pickups don't.

I have the Audient ID4 interface and made a quick test. I plugged my guitar with a passive pickup (so it shouldn't have a higher output than your Fishman RE) into a Fishman Platinum preamp (trim and volume all the way up) and then into the ID4 interface via XLR cable (the gain knob at 11 o'clock) and achieved a very good recording level, peaking at about -10dB. So your system should perform as good as mine. What does your software meter show about the recording level?

I wouldn't worry about using some preampfification from the interface. Audient is known of having good converters and clean preamps it's okay to add some gain if necessary.

In your setup the only thing that looks suspicious to me is the XLR to TRS cable. Can you not just use XLR to XLR or a normal guitar cable?

amsmarle 01-12-2019 12:04 PM

I set up this time as you suggested using an XLR from the Aura and XLR into the No 2 channel... this gave me a few more dB 's to play with.
So with the Ch2 gain knob @ 1 o'clock with a recording peak of 12dB
Cleaner sound too.
I thought the 1/4 TRS meant it bypassed the preamp and using the XLR use's the preamp.

Ideally with the ID22 I should be able to use the Aura XLR out and connect the 1/4 TRS into the No 2 insert return which would bypass the preamp altogether... thus using only the external Aura Spectrum direct into my DAW.
But I am getting no sound at all when I try this, I have emailed Audient about this..?
I will say though that the ID22 has a great DI built in and gives very very nice results on its own

Thanks again

Alan

amsmarle 01-12-2019 12:49 PM

Should read.... with a recording peak of -12dB

Alan

amsmarle 01-13-2019 12:04 AM

Just realised the ID22 interface does not have a separate volume knob like the ID4

Monsum 01-13-2019 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amsmarle (Post 5946893)
Just realised the ID22 interface does not have a separate volume knob like the ID4

I think it does, it's just called 'Monitor' instead of iD4's 'Volume'. The difference is that on iD4 the biggest knob controls both volume of monitors and headphones, on yours you've got it separate.

But you're right about using 'Insert return' to bypass preamps.
Can you check one more thing, use 1/4TS to 1/4TS cable (regular guitar cable) to connect the Aura output with Insert return of the interface.

amsmarle 01-13-2019 06:24 AM

Using a standard 1/4" x 1/4" TS guitar cable from Aura output into insert return does not work at all.
Yes on the ID22 the monitor knob only controls the volume for my speakers
when I am mixing.. (i.e. no sound/volume control when recording).
BTW I only use my setup for recording and then mixing after. I don't play live... I don't have or use amp's etc.

Weird why the Aura does not work when connect into the insert return
it should work with XLR to 1.4 TRS connection
I think Aura is mainly for live/stage shows i.e. through a PA or amp..?

Although with your advice I am getting a better sound now using the Aura than using just using the ID22 DI

Regards
Alan

Monsum 01-13-2019 06:48 AM

I'm sure there is a way of connecting these two. Because there is no reason why it wouldn't work to bypass the iD22 preamps. Let the Audient guys advice you. It could be some settings the software mixer? Who knows.

amsmarle 01-13-2019 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsum (Post 5946993)
I'm sure there is a way of connecting these two. Because there is no reason why it wouldn't work to bypass the iD22 preamps. Let the Audient guys advice you. It could be some settings the software mixer? Who knows.

OK Monsum, I expect to hear from Audient tomorrow, I will keep you in the loop.

Many Thanks for your input and time,

Alan M

amsmarle 01-14-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amsmarle (Post 5947024)
OK Monsum, I expect to hear from Audient tomorrow, I will keep you in the loop.

Many Thanks for your input and time,

Alan M

Hi Monsum,
I have had a response from Audient ID22 support.
It seems that unless any external preamp can output up to +18dBU then their ID22 audio interface insert return will not hear it. I believe that the Fishman Aura Spectrum output is max +2dB
(Quote from Audient:)
Thank you for your message. If you are able to get audio in via the mic/line input but only when Gain is applied then it would appear that the Fishman is outputting a level which is lower than the +18dBU line level that the return would be expecting.

Alan

Monsum 01-14-2019 10:44 AM

It actually makes sense. The signal coming out from the Aura is not a line level signal so it needs to be amplified. At least you know that your unit is not faulty.
I always use some preamp gain from the interface along with the Fishman preamp turned fully up and it still sounds very clean.

amsmarle 01-14-2019 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsum (Post 5948220)
It actually makes sense. The signal coming out from the Aura is not a line level signal so it needs to be amplified. At least you know that your unit is not faulty.
I always use some preamp gain from the interface along with the Fishman preamp turned fully up and it still sounds very clean.

Hi Monsum, Yes I am too happy enough to get a better sound now and thanks for your help. My Audient interface people need to tell people that they can only get external preamps sound into their insert returns if they also route it through another amp and back into their interface though

Cheers
Alan