The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Pick Blind Test... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546609)

Sonics 05-12-2019 08:31 AM

Pick Blind Test...

...yes I can hear the differences. But would I pay $50 for a pick, are you crazy?

JC. 05-12-2019 01:40 PM

Here in the UK it costs $100 to fill an average car with “gas”.

$50 for a pick is nothin’.

SpruceTop 05-12-2019 01:49 PM

If players desire a long-lasting pick that sounds very good and can be had with or without grips, try Guitar Moose Classic Picks. Hey, for $4.00 a pick, in various gauges, and with free shipping, and if you have carpal-tunnel, how can anyone not give them a try? Guitar Moose Picks

DISCLAIMER: I own Blue Chip and Charmed Life picks, and they're great, but for a low-cost alternative, try Guitar Moose picks. I have no affiliation with Guitar Moose.

Charmed Life Picks 05-12-2019 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpruceTop (Post 6060173)
If players desire a long-lasting pick that sounds very good and can be had with or without grips, try Guitar Moose Classic Picks. Hey, for $4.00 a pick, in various gauges, and with free shipping, and if you have carpal-tunnel, how can anyone not give them a try? Guitar Moose Picks

DISCLAIMER: I own Blue Chip and Charmed Life picks, and they're great, but for a low-cost alternative, try Guitar Moose picks. I have no affiliation with Guitar Moose.

Ken, I've never played the Guitar Moose products, but here a lot of good things about that, from you and others.

sm

tippy5 05-12-2019 02:07 PM

Love all kinds of picks and playing 50% of the time without them.
The CL Vespral for rhythm and the BC's are a tremendous sonic enhancement to plectrum playing.

I am glad they were developed before my acoustic days are over.
Really something these little buggers.
Definitely enhanced tone, and to a slightly lesser extent, feel.

Euphemistically speaking I have told my son I don't want to go.
I want to stick around to see my old hobbies get fully engineered.
Recently I got a GIANT Trance E +1 mountain bike and it is a game changer.

Charmed Life Picks 05-12-2019 02:40 PM

These are always fun, although I must say that I trust the guy in the vid more than my own ears. A one-inch computer speaker doesn't quite cut it. Also, there is the whole matter of FEEL, which to me and many other players is just as important as tone.

my three cents,
memmer

Rosewood99 05-12-2019 02:45 PM

It's a personal decision. If you paid $200 for your guitar a $50 pick might seem crazy. But if you own a $5,000 guitar it might not seem so much.

SpruceTop 05-12-2019 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks (Post 6060180)
Ken, I've never played the Guitar Moose products, but here a lot of good things about that, from you and others.

sm

Scott,

Just keep doing what you're doing as you're providing a great product at a great price!

Ken

Charmed Life Picks 06-20-2019 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpruceTop (Post 6060272)
Scott,

Just keep doing what you're doing as you're providing a great product at a great price!

Ken

Kenny, thanks. You've been a wealth of info on the amplification side for years now. Really appreciation your guidance and insight in that area.

Play On!
Memmer

DownUpDave 06-20-2019 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC. (Post 6060170)
Here in the UK it costs $100 to fill an average car with “gas”.

$50 for a pick is nothin’.

Bingo and if I take the family out to a good steak dinner it's at least $350.00. Worse still because it's gone quicker then a tank of gas.

J Patrick 06-20-2019 06:14 PM

..my bottom line with pick price is a cost/value equation...(that applies to most any purchase actually)...so what is the value??..for me it’s about how much I will use it and how much I will enjoy using it....that after it fulfills it’s basic purpose...

....for me a great pick is great value...and although I have yet to spend more than 30 dollars on a pick..I get a lot of value from my spendy picks...like everything...as the price increases beyond a certain point the rule of diminishing returns kicks in...not sure a fifty dollar pick would seem much better to me than a thirty dollar pick...but the difference between a five dollar pick and a twenty dollar pick is substantial to me...and worth the cost because I like it better..

vindibona1 06-20-2019 08:02 PM

It was a cool test, but a little challenging because there were so many picks. I pick #1 in all instances. #6 came into play as well. There weren't any picks that were outright bad, but on several, the sound just thinned out compared to #1. #1 had the richness, articulation and tone with a minimal amount of string scratch.

619TF 06-21-2019 10:06 AM

I don't buy expensive picks as I lose them too fast. I recently picked up a 6 pack of the Taylor Thermex Ultra Pros ("The Blue Swirl") for $12 and that's the most I'd spend on a pick (they only come in the 6 packs so I had to spend more). I had to go thicker than I normally play to find the one I liked but then it was an easy choice. https://www.taylorguitars.com/taylor...e-swirl-6-pack

Groovingdan 06-21-2019 11:43 AM

The link to see which pick is which isn't working for me. Does anyone know which one the BC is in the video? I liked 3, 4, and 7 the best.

B. Adams 06-21-2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groovingdan (Post 6092151)
The link to see which pick is which isn't working for me. Does anyone know which one the BC is in the video? I liked 3, 4, and 7 the best.

Doesn't work for me either. I tried on PC and Mac, Chrome and Edge. I didn't try Safari, but I'm not optimistic. I am somewhat curious though.