The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   why all the ipads and iphones on stage?? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526629)

bmoney 10-30-2018 10:17 AM

why all the ipads and iphones on stage??

SO 2 years ago I had a business conference in Nashville...and I was at tons of bars during the nighttime with all the awesome musicians....my question

all of them had an iphone or ipad (insert smartphone or tablet if you wish) attached to their mic stand....

what is it for? i was very curious!

thanks

B

robj144 10-30-2018 10:18 AM

To read the music?

Neil K Walk 10-30-2018 10:23 AM

...and here I thought MY memory was going! Whatever happened to actually learning lyrics and improvising?

bmoney 10-30-2018 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robj144 (Post 5876628)
To read the music?

ok if so...do they have an app that scrolls through it? and what if it scrolls too fast or slow?

Nyghthawk 10-30-2018 10:26 AM

If it is just the lyrics and chord progression that would not be a problem. I still use paper but a good friend of mine who busks regularly uses an iPad.

roylor4 10-30-2018 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil K Walk (Post 5876634)
...and here I thought MY memory was going! Whatever happened to actually learning lyrics and improvising?

Apparently it's a new and accepted thing now. For me, cheat sheets are for the house. If I need them for a gig, it ain't ready to be played out yet (IMO).

Then again we only know about 120 songs and I'm 55. If I was 65 and needed access to 300-400 songs I might get over my prejudice. ;) ;)

DavidE 10-30-2018 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmoney (Post 5876635)
ok if so...do they have an app that scrolls through it? and what if it scrolls too fast or slow?

You get can a bluetooth controller from companies like Airturn.

Tnfiddler 10-30-2018 10:37 AM

I have mixed feelings about it. When I played and sang lead in my last band, I practiced continuously before a gig and had all of my songs down perfect. Now that we've adopted 3 kids and taken in 2 more full-time, I don't have the time to practice like I should and give my kids the attention they need and deserve, so I used an ipad at my last gig and was ok with it. The crowd enjoyed my set and gave me great feedback and my Ipad was never mentioned. I think tablets and smartphones are such a normal part of our everyday lives, they'll be accepted as necessary equipment. In fact, I got a song request for a song I knew and had never played. I looked up the chords and went at it! That's a positive in my book.

Goat Mick 10-30-2018 10:45 AM

I'm a solo musician that plays bars and restaurants and the reason I keep getting booked is because I can usually play anything anyone wants to hear. Also playing requests brings in a LOT of tip money. There's no way I could keep 400-500 songs in memory and be able to play them at the drop of a hat. Some songs only get requested once or twice a year. I use an iPad to keep all these songs at my fingertips so I can play requests, get return bookings and make good money in tips.

bmoney 10-30-2018 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidE (Post 5876639)
You get can a bluetooth controller from companies like Airturn.

ooh whats it called?

DesertTwang 10-30-2018 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmoney (Post 5876672)
ooh whats it called?

It's called "Airturn." I know, big surprise! :D

You can also do what I did, and that's copy and paste the terms "Bluetooth" and "airturn" into the Google search engine, and voila! ;)

ljguitar 10-30-2018 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmoney (Post 5876627)
SO 2 years ago I had a business conference in Nashville...and I was at tons of bars during the nighttime with all the awesome musicians....my question

all of them had an iphone or ipad (insert smartphone or tablet if you wish) attached to their mic stand....

what is it for? i was very curious!

thanks

B

Hi bm

Lyrics, charts, and to keep up on the sports scores!!!

ljguitar 10-30-2018 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roylor4 (Post 5876638)
Apparently it's a new and accepted thing now. For me, cheat sheets are for the house. If I need them for a gig, it ain't ready to be played out yet (IMO).

Then again we only know about 120 songs and I'm 55. If I was 65 and needed access to 300-400 songs I might get over my prejudice. ;) ;)

HI r4

My gigging partner and I have about a 100 song active list, but there are 3 songs that either he or I lose lyrics, so we have those queued up, and the set lists as well.

Also, I do a lot of worship gigs where I'm leading but have someone along who doesn't know everything I know, so the iPad becomes their charts for the day.

fazool 10-30-2018 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil K Walk (Post 5876634)

Doesn't like every single professional philharmonic player work from sheet music? I wouldn't tell them to stay home.

Joe F 10-30-2018 11:33 AM

https://onsongapp.com/