The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Best 21st century cover of a '60s song? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566091)

dwasifar 12-10-2019 08:51 AM

Best 21st century cover of a '60s song?

What's your best example of a modern cover of a 1960s song?

Covers of older songs tend to be "updates" in a modern style. A lot of the time that loses the spirit of the song. But once in a while you hear one where the performer really understands the material.

For me, the best such example is Sid & Susie's 2006 cover of "Different Drum."

Sid is Matthew Sweet, and Susie is Susanna Hoffs of the Bangles. They've released three albums together of covers from the '60s, '70s, and '80s, all excellent, all showing great love and respect for the songs, but to me this track is the standout. It starts from the Stone Poneys version (thankfully ignoring the Mike Nesmith version) and adds beautiful harmonies that are right in tune with its time.

What's yours?

matt986 12-10-2019 09:07 AM

This one pops up a lot in these types of threads.

fitness1 12-10-2019 09:12 AM

This was probably off being 2000 or later by a few months, but I find it hauntingly beautiful and pleasing to the ear (and yes, the eyes!;))

Maybe not "the best" but it's the one that came to mind.

frankmcr 12-10-2019 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwasifar (Post 6234979)
Sid & Susie's 2006 cover of "Different Drum."

n (thankfully ignoring the Mike Nesmith version)

Thankfully ignoring the guy who wrote it's version?

dwasifar 12-10-2019 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankmcr (Post 6235046)
Thankfully ignoring the guy who wrote it's version?

Yes. That's why I didn't say "original version" when talking about the Stone Poneys. Nesmith deserves credit for writing the song, but his version is just bleh.

fitness1 12-10-2019 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwasifar (Post 6235067)
Nesmith deserves credit for writing the song, but his version is just bleh.

There's always this one::D

dwasifar 12-10-2019 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitness1 (Post 6235069)
There's always this one::D

That one clearly starts from Nesmith's read rather than Ronstadt's. It's still better than his, but neither one is the pop confection the song is famous for being.

dwasifar 12-10-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt986 (Post 6235007)
This one pops up a lot in these types of threads.

I still don't really know what I think of that. Sometimes I think it goes too far over the top, and sometimes I think the song really benefits from that treatment.

At the risk of hijacking my own thread: There's a young lady, Malinda Kathleen Reese, who does videos where well known songs have had their lyrics mangled by sending them through several languages in Google Translate. Here is her version of that song:

The translations are pieced together, line by funny line, from the Google Translate efforts of her Patreon supporters. (Two lines from my own effort made it in: "with regard to training" and "and a funny voice.")

mr. beaumont 12-10-2019 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwasifar (Post 6234979)
What's your best example of a modern cover of a 1960s song?

Covers of older songs tend to be "updates" in a modern style. A lot of the time that loses the spirit of the song. But once in a while you hear one where the performer really understands the material.

For me, the best such example is Sid & Susie's 2006 cover of "Different Drum."

Sid is Matthew Sweet, and Susie is Susanna Hoffs of the Bangles. They've released three albums together of covers from the '60s, '70s, and '80s, all excellent, all showing great love and respect for the songs, but to me this track is the standout. It starts from the Stone Poneys version (thankfully ignoring the Mike Nesmith version) and adds beautiful harmonies that are right in tune with its time.

What's yours?

The Sweet/Hoffs stuff is just great, and I think you might have picked the best of theirs to kick this off.

dwasifar 12-10-2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. beaumont (Post 6235086)
The Sweet/Hoffs stuff is just great, and I think you might have picked the best of theirs to kick this off.

I hoped I had. There's hardly a false note anywhere on those three albums. They clearly love these songs and treat them beautifully. The '60s collection is the strongest, though.

Here's another great one from the same collection:

CoffeeFan 12-10-2019 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwasifar (Post 6235080)
I still don't really know what I think of that. Sometimes I think it goes too far over the top, and sometimes I think the song really benefits from that treatment.

I think Disturbed nailed it with that rendition...

Quote:

The translations are pieced together, line by funny line, from the Google Translate efforts of her Patreon supporters. (Two lines from my own effort made it in: "with regard to training" and "and a funny voice.")
Not exactly sure what that was supposed to be, but it became too annoying to watch...

dwasifar 12-10-2019 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoffeeFan (Post 6235136)
Not exactly sure what that was supposed to be, but it became too annoying to watch...

Comedy. :)

foxo 12-10-2019 11:33 AM

Are parodies allowed?

Herb Hunter 12-10-2019 01:58 PM

Heart’s version of Stairway to Heaven comes to mind although, the song having been released in 1971, is, technically speaking, not a ‘60s song.

hairpuller 12-10-2019 02:22 PM

These guys do fantastic Beatle covers. Here's one of my faves!
Dig those bass lines!!