The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   What capos are you using on your RS? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429840)

steelvibe 05-15-2016 10:14 AM

What capos are you using on your RS?

This question is directed only to those using them on the N2 and NS necks. Before buying my RainSong in late 2014, I was using Shubb exclusively a on a Breedlove that I've since sold. Those capos (I own several) have a slight radius to them that isn't very compatible to the 20" radiused RainSong fretboard. I've needed to add shims under the rubber pads of at least one of my Shubbs and I'm thinking I'm going to need to do it too another. Anyone experienced this issue? What have you done to rectify it?

Note: I don't like Kysers, so that is not an option for me.

Song 05-15-2016 10:25 AM

NS capo for all of my guitars

NoodleFingers 05-15-2016 12:53 PM

I just bought a Thalia capo in black chrome with the blue abalone inlay:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...g?v=1457122173

Expensive, to be sure ($70). But the abalone is a perfect match for the rosette. The capo looks like it was made for my guitar. :D

If you get one, use the flat insert (C) for classical guitars because of the Rainsong 20" neck radius.

EDIT: Sorry for the hugeness of the image. Anyone know how I can fix that?

AZLiberty 05-15-2016 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelvibe (Post 4936309)
This question is directed only to those using them on the N2 and NS necks. Before buying my RainSong in late 2014, I was using Shubb exclusively a on a Breedlove that I've since sold. Those capos (I own several) have a slight radius to them that isn't very compatible to the 20" radiused RainSong fretboard. I've needed to add shims under the rubber pads of at least one of my Shubbs and I'm thinking I'm going to need to do it too another. Anyone experienced this issue? What have you done to rectify it?

Note: I don't like Kysers, so that is not an option for me.

Sorry you don't like Kysers, they work perfectly for me, at least on my 6-string Rainsong.

On my 12-strign Rainsong I was having all sorts of problems with every capo muting the high A and D strings. Shubb offered to modify one of their 12-string capos for me.

The modified Shubb is the best I have found so far.

You could ask Shubb to moddify one of their 6-string capos, or try one of their classical capos.

SpruceTop 05-15-2016 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZLiberty (Post 4936502)
Sorry you don't like Kysers, they work perfectly for me, at least on my 6-string Rainsong.

On my 12-strign Rainsong I was having all sorts of problems with every capo muting the high A and D strings. Shubb offered to modify one of their 12-string capos for me.

The modified Shubb is the best I have found so far.

You could ask Shubb to moddify one of their 6-string capos, or try one of their classical capos.

+1 Kysers! They do need to be used properly, though, with placement just behind the fret, and so placed, tuning distortions are minimal and sometimes nil and strings are fretted and don't buzz.

Earl49 05-15-2016 03:35 PM

Same one I use on everything else (except 12 strings) - the Dunlop Trigger capo. It works just fine on my WS-1000. On the 12-ers, I use the special Paige 12 string capo with the extra bands to cover the octave strings.

I know that Kysers work well and are popular, but I cannot get over the aesthetics of that curly-Q end sticking up. Maybe it is because I've nearly had collisions with them at jam circles on several occasions, and that would definitely leave a mark.

Captain Jim 05-15-2016 03:54 PM

Planet Waves tri-action for my Shorty...

http://www.planetwaves.com/resources...-09_main_2.jpg

I use it on all my guitars, not just the RainSong.

steelvibe 05-15-2016 08:00 PM

Thanks all for the responses. I think I will still continue to modify my Shubbs.

I understand the appeal of Kysers, and I used to use them- until I had premature fret wear due to the inability to adjust tension on them. This is precisely why Shubb's appeal to me now.

That Thalia sure is gorgeous and I'd already considered one in the past but the cost and initial problems just following the Kickstarter campaign sidelined that idea. I have heard that the company since worked out the kinks- kudos to them for that!

SpruceTop 05-16-2016 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelvibe (Post 4936919)
I understand the appeal of Kysers, and I used to use them- until I had premature fret wear due to the inability to adjust tension on them. This is precisely why Shubb's appeal to me now.

I think Kyser could reduce the spring tension by about 1/3 and still have the capo be just as effective. It is overly powerful for sure!

SteelPastor 05-16-2016 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoodleFingers (Post 4936489)
I just bought a Thalia capo in black chrome with the blue abalone inlay:

Expensive, to be sure ($70). But the abalone is a perfect match for the rosette. The capo looks like it was made for my guitar. :D

If you get one, use the flat insert (C) for classical guitars because of the Rainsong 20" neck radius.

NoodleFingers... Thank you for the new ideas. After some research, it seems that the new 2.0 version of the Thalia Capo is now shipping... AND, it is supposed to be available in carbon fiber as well. It is not yet on their website... so I emailed the company. Waiting for their response.

Just because I'm curious... which model RS do you have? Not all have the abalone rosette... mine is a custom Shorty.

You need to get us a pic of the guitar AND the capo together.

NoodleFingers 05-16-2016 10:38 PM

I haven't heard about a carbon fiber version, but the black chrome is a grey color that goes very nicely with my RainSong.

My Thalia is a 2.0 (got it like a week ago). My guitar is an OM Concert with the shorty neck.

I'd love to get you a picture, but I don't have a Flickr, Tumblr or Instagram account to post it to, and I can't upload it to AGF directly.

SteelPastor 05-16-2016 11:47 PM

Thalia Capo mentions carbon fiber inlay as an option in an official video (approx. 30 seconds in) on the https://www.thaliacapos.com website, as follows:

https://www.thaliacapos.com/pages/inlays

That said... the black chrome with blue abalone inlay is pretty stunning. They are not cheap, but try as I might... I think I am going to need to get one!

gfa 05-17-2016 10:20 AM

I haven't noticed any problems using any of my capos on the RS. Shubb regular, that new Shubb that stays on the guitar, and Planet Waves NS.

Methos1979 05-17-2016 09:47 PM

NS Pro - I use it on all my guitars. Paid like $15 for it new probably four or so years ago and it just works perfectly on all my guitars.

steelvibe 05-18-2016 12:15 AM

So I never realized it until tonight, but when I bought my Shubbs B.R. (before Rainsong) I actually bought Shubbs that are considered "universal". I have the Standard Shubb C1, the Shubb Capo Noir C1k, and the Shubb light L1.

I'm not having zero luck, but I'm not having the fit that I had on my Breedlove with these either! Clearly the NS neck on my Shorty is a very different animal than the shallow C that my Breedlove had. However, I have noticed that when I install these upside down and increase the tension some it helps. Here is a picture and they do show a slight radius on the inside curve of the pads (especially the purple one). One thing I've not done yet and plan to do is to shave down the top side of the saddle under D and G strings to better match the fretboard radius, and this is precisely the area that the capos have a harder time clamping the strings to the fretboard.

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/...psf5wklc42.jpg