The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   ToneDexter Thread (continuation of original thread) (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469074)

SpruceTop 05-06-2017 07:31 AM

ToneDexter Thread (continuation of original thread)

Hi Folks,

With the other Tonedexter Thread closed after exceeding the comment limit, I thought I'd initiate a new ToneDexter Thread for our continuing discussion on this new device.

I'm eagerly awaiting my ToneDexter that I ordered yesterday, and based on user comments, I'm stoked on experimenting with it! My setup for training will be:

Various guitars > Shure SM81 Cardioid Condenser Mic > ToneDexter > Line 6 L2t Active Speaker and AKG K240 Headphones for listening to training results

Let's All Get 'Dexterized! :)

Ken

...Added by request... Link to previous thread

CCHannah 05-06-2017 07:45 AM

I had never heard of that before joining the form so last night I went to the website and checked out all the videos I could and WOW! How cool!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puerto Player 05-06-2017 08:05 AM

So, just to be clear, any acoustic who's on-board pickups use a battery the ToneDexter isn't for, is that correct?

SpruceTop 05-06-2017 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puerto Player (Post 5331070)
So, just to be clear, any acoustic who's on-board pickups use a battery the ToneDexter isn't for, is that correct?

The ToneDexter is good for both active and passive acoustic pickups. You would use the 'Dexter's Gain control to accommodate various inputs.

ToneDexter Features
* works on any acoustic instrument, with most active or passive piezo pickup systems
* stores 11 custom WaveMaps, selectable via rotary switch
* a mute switch that activates a built-in high precision tuner, accurate to within 1 cent
* a boost switch for solos with 0-8dB of settable gain via rear panel pot
* bass and treble EQ
* a sweepable notch filter for feedback suppression
* a character control which adds additional punch to the WaveMap
* latency less than 1ms
* an effects loop (TIP send, RING return)
* 1/4″ pickup input, high impedance (1MΩ)
* 1/4″ line output with output level pot on front panel
* XLR DI output, with rear panel option switch for fixed level or level that follows output level pot
* analog boost circuit positioned after effects loop, so no headroom loss when boosting
* XLR mic input with 48V phantom supply for training
* headphone output for training
* phase (polarity) switch on rear panel
* +-15V internal supplies for professional headroom and dead quiet operation
* SD card slot for field upgrade of software
* 6.3″ W x 5.9″ D x 2.3″ H

open-road-matt 05-06-2017 08:28 AM

Ken,
I'm excited to hear what you think of the ToneDexter.

I retrained my Trance Audio Amulet guitar this morning and I think I got better results.

I need to see if a local studio would let me rent something like an SM81.

I'd like to hear the training results with a quality small diaphragm condenser mic vs my SM57.

Someone needs to start a mic rental business for everyone buying ToneDexters! We'd pay a fee to rent the mic for a short period of time, train our ToneDexter and then ship the mic(s) to the next paying customer!

If we didn't live in such a frozen wasteland I'd set up my PA outside today to really test out my Dexterized tone!

Matt

buzzardwhiskey 05-06-2017 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puerto Player (Post 5331070)

The ToneDexter should work fine for most pickups (other than magnetic).

Petty1818 05-06-2017 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by open-road-matt (Post 5331104)
Ken,

I retrained my Trance Audio Amulet guitar this morning and I think I got better results.

I'd like to hear the training results with a quality small diaphragm condenser mic vs my SM57.

Someone needs to start a mic rental business for everyone buying ToneDexters! We'd pay a fee to rent the mic for a short period of time, train our ToneDexter and then ship the mic(s) to the next paying customer!

If we didn't live in such a frozen wasteland I'd set up my PA outside today to really test out my Dexterized tone!

Matt

We have a music story chain called Long and Mcquade here in Canada and they do just that. You can rent some incredible high end mics for a weekend, week or month at extremely affordable prices. That's probably what I would do although the mics I already have are quite nice.

guitaniac 05-06-2017 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by open-road-matt (Post 5331104)
Ken,

Matt

If you'll check the previous thread, Matt, you'll find that David (Buzzard Whiskey) did a series of mic comparisons which included the SM57. For better or worse (in the case of SM57 owners like you and I), his expensive condenser mic produced the best ToneDexter results.

open-road-matt 05-06-2017 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitaniac (Post 5331188)
If you'll check the previous thread, Matt, you'll find that David (Buzzard Whiskey) did a series of mic comparisons which included the SM57. For better or worse (in the case of SM57 owners like you and I), his expensive condenser mic produced the best ToneDexter results.

I'm going to see if I can track down a good small diaphragm condenser mic to rent.

Other than the SM81, what other makes/models should I inquire about?

Thanks!
Matt

buzzardwhiskey 05-06-2017 10:27 AM

See if you can find an Earthworks SR30 or SR40. Probably the ultimate in precise, incredibly fast mics. I may rent one at some point to train our ToneDexters (yes, I'm certain to buy a second for our lead guitar/mando player).

midwinter 05-06-2017 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey (Post 5331291)
See if you can find an Earthworks SR30 or SR40. Probably the ultimate in precise, incredibly fast mics. I may rent one at some point to train our ToneDexters (yes, I'm certain to buy a second for our lead guitar/mando player).

We need to get together and have a ToneDexter-off in SLC. ;)

buzzardwhiskey 05-06-2017 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midwinter (Post 5331308)
We need to get together and have a ToneDexter-off in SLC. ;)

There ya go! :) Where are your next shows? I'll try to catch you somewhere.

I'm gonna be playing for Race for the Cure's street crowd next Sat and I'm looking forward to using my new rig. Then on the 20th I'll be playing The Cabin in Park City.

open-road-matt 05-06-2017 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey (Post 5331291)

I got a lead on someone who has a studio and might rent some mics. Waiting to hear back.

I have concluded I HAVE TO get a hold of a better mic.

I've decided in my testing thus far that I prefer the sound of the Trance Audio Amulet M without the ToneDexter to any of the results I've had using the ToneDexter with this guitar.

I thought I was on track to getting some good Dextarized results with my Baggs Element but I set up a Zoom H2 and recorded a bunch of stuff with the Baggs Element through the ToneDexter and compared that to the Trance going straight in (no ToneDexter at all) and so far the Trance is winning!

In fact, listening to the recordings of the Trance, I'm not sure how I could do any better. With that said, I hear a lot of potential in the ToneDexter sound of the Baggs Element so hopefully a better mic will help.

I did hear back from the studio guy and he says he has an Oktava MK-012 that I can use this afternoon.

Matt

Uncle Pauhana 05-06-2017 12:39 PM

Ken, it might prove useful to future readers to have a link to the previous thread in your original post of this thread.

I'll put it here, but maybe you'll want to edit your original post? Thanks

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=467276

SpruceTop 05-06-2017 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana (Post 5331442)
Ken, it might prove useful to future readers to have a link to the previous thread in your original post of this thread.

I'll put it here, but maybe you'll want to edit your original post? Thanks

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=467276

Thanks Uncle Pauhana for the suggestion but our AGF moderator, Kerbie, kindly put the original ToneDexter thread link in my OP for this ToneDexter continuation thread. Aloha.