The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Build and Repair (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Best Nut Width and String Spacing For Build? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548392)

HarryQ 06-01-2019 09:51 AM

Best Nut Width and String Spacing For Build?

I have obtained an unfinished build that was begun in the 1980s. It was built by a retired Martin employee. It is a 00 sized body with Brazilian back and sides. There is a Martin built slot head 12 fret neck that is unattached, with a truss rod slot and an unglued 24.9 scale Brazilian fingerboard. I would like to get opinions on what the most popular nut width and string spacing for this style guitar would be. Also the style of bridge. The current width of the neck blank at the nut is right at 2 inches, so I have quite a bit of leeway there. Also any advice for fingerboard inlays. I don't plan on binding the fingerboard, but am open to suggestions. Thanks for any advice!

ChrisN 06-01-2019 10:02 AM

Completely subjective/individual, but, given the likely fingerstyle mission, I'm thinking 1.75 for the nut and 2 1/4 for the bridge. That's enough room for almost anyone to fingerpick, without also limiting it (and future resale) to those who prefer the wider ends of the spectrum (eg 1 7/8 and 2 5/16). I've got nothing on the other issues.

HarryQ 06-01-2019 01:52 PM

That is what I was leaning towards, but I figured it would be good to get other opinions before committing myself. Thanks!

Quickstep192 06-01-2019 07:58 PM

My fingerstyle guitar has a 1-13/16 nut and I like it. 1-3/4 might be fine for people whose fingers aren’t so stubby.

On the subject of neck binding... in my humble opinion, a guitar of the caliber you’ve mentioned should have a bound neck.

tadol 06-01-2019 09:32 PM

00 Braz should have 1-13/16 and 2-5/16 - IMHO -

HarryQ 06-02-2019 07:55 AM

Thanks guys! I'll take your ideas into consideration. I do want to do justice to this guitar, so I'm not in a rush to decide.

runamuck 06-02-2019 08:29 AM

It sounds that you want to build it according to Martin specs, right? If so, ask your question again here https://www.luthiersforum.com/ or here https://umgf.com/

JonWint 06-02-2019 10:53 AM

Is the body bound yet? Binding would indicate Style. Style would indicate marker inlays.

Don't believe Martin used RW boards on any Style above 18 and that no RW boards were bound.

HarryQ 06-02-2019 02:59 PM

Yes, the body was already bound. It has solid white binding top and back, with herringbone purfling on top. The soundhole has a single abalone ring with black single lines about 1/8th inch on either side. The back is 3 piece Brazilian, with the center wedge bordered by strips of maple with an ebony line in the center. I'm pretty open to going outside Martin's exact specs as long as it's tasteful and works functionally. The builder was Paul Berger, who I think was a retired Martin employee who moved to St. Augustine,FL. From what I gather, Martin allowed him to take some wood and parts with him to build on a small scale. Maybe the Brazilian fingerboard with binding and snowflake inlays? I'm still open to suggestions. Thanks!

Silly Moustache 06-02-2019 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tadol (Post 6076387)
00 Braz should have 1-13/16 and 2-5/16 - IMHO -

This - exactly.

Martin did a whole lot of R&D, and developed perfectly designed 0,00, and 000 guitars.

I sincerely recommend that you follow their dimensions.

JonWint 06-02-2019 03:16 PM

Sounds like mix & match custom.

White and herringbone binding is Style 28. Abalone rosette ring is Style 27 or 30. Three-piece back is Style 35.

I like old looks. I'd put on pyramid bridge, bind the FB, and add snowflakes at 5, 7, 9 like a Style 30.

Like this 1900 00-30:

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/ZT7IETa.jpg[/IMG]

JonWint 06-02-2019 03:20 PM

Can you post photos of the back and sides? Is it straight grained?

Dick Boak said Martin sold the rejected figured/flatsawn Brazilian RW for $5 a set in the 1980's.

Earl49 06-02-2019 03:21 PM

It depends on who you are building for, because these things are so personal and subjective. I might want 2-5/16" string spacing at the bridge and 1-7/8" nut width. But that would likely eliminate 80% of your potential customers. Choosing more typical specs would be best for resale. If you are building this as your personal guitar, then do whatever you prefer.

HarryQ 06-02-2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonWint (Post 6076904)
Can you post photos of the back and sides? Is it straight grained?

Dick Boak said Martin sold the rejected figured/flatsawn Brazilian RW for $5 a set in the 1980's.

I haven't learned how to post pics here yet. The back wood looks quarter-sawn. The sides are a really pretty deep brown with black spider web lines running through them. $5 a set sounds pretty reasonable! That's a beautiful 00-30! It's got me leaning toward binding the fingerboard. I'm still trying to decide between pyramid and belly bridge and ebony or rosewood for bridge and fingerboard. Thanks!

HarryQ 06-02-2019 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earl49 (Post 6076905)
It depends on who you are building for, because these things are so personal and subjective. I might want 2-5/16" string spacing at the bridge and 1-7/8" nut width. But that would likely eliminate 80% of your potential customers. Choosing more typical specs would be best for resale. If you are building this as your personal guitar, then do whatever you prefer.

Good advice! I guess I'm doing this for myself, but I do these kind of projects on a regular basis. I keep them a while, then usually sell them to make room for the next one, so I try to keep in mind what most people like in a guitar. My last project was a D-28 kit guitar that had been very poorly put together. I took it apart and put it back together in the hopes it would be a playable guitar, and sound OK. It turned out to be an absolute cannon! I got lucky that time. Thanks to everyone for their advice!