The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Mom is 86 and the TSA ....... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495761)

ahorsewithnonam 01-08-2018 06:53 PM

Mom is 86 and the TSA .......

Patted her down, treated her like crap. She is little, 4-9, 110 lbs., brittle and poor hearing. Her and her other 86 year old blue haired great grandmother flew together. Couldn’t raise her arms high enough in the XRay thing, he kept yelling raise your arms higher. She has arthritis and can’t. Nor could she understand him very well. So he takes her out and pats her down. She is unstable on her feet and started to tip over, so her friend reached out for her arm. He yells, “you can’t touch her until I’m done!”

Yeah, she’s a real threat. You could blow on her and she would fall down. Ugh, so irritated.

Brucebubs 01-08-2018 07:02 PM

I'm sorry to hear of her being treated like that but at least she was still traveling.
My mother turns 89 in just 9 days time.
She can't walk or hold a conversation and doesn't know who I am.

viccortes285 01-08-2018 07:09 PM

So sorry to hear. I understand my mom is in a assisted living place out of state. I wanted her to stay with me and my wife but she won't leave Vegas. She is in the Hospital now from high sugar, she is 91. I feel so lost.

Neil K Walk 01-08-2018 07:13 PM

You guys are going through the wrong airports; my mother went through Newark of all places. She is turning 78 in a few weeks and was spared all of that. They even offered to get her a wheelchair so that she'd be spared any TSA nonsense. Afterward she told me that they said that anyone over 74 didn't have to even take their shoes off.

ahorsewithnonam 01-08-2018 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viccortes285 (Post 5596524)
So sorry to hear. I understand my mom is in a assisted living place out of state. I wanted her to stay with me and my wife but she won't leave Vegas. She is in the Hospital now from high sugar, she is 91. I feel so lost.

So sorry to hear this.

ahorsewithnonam 01-08-2018 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucebubs (Post 5596514)
I'm sorry to hear of her being treated like that but at least she was still traveling.
My mother turns 89 in just 9 days time.
She can't walk or hold a conversation and doesn't know who I am.

I dread the day. Hang in there.

viccortes285 01-08-2018 07:36 PM

Thank you,I am caring now for my wife who had heart attack 6 months ago. Hard to change your diet and exercise 5 days a week,then add mom's alone up there.

flaggerphil 01-08-2018 10:38 PM

I have TSA Pre but found out the hard way that it you admit you have metal in your body (a ton of titanium in my ankle) all bets are off. These days I have to use a wheelchair to get around an airport (partially because of that titanium) and if they ask me about metal i simply say no. They leave me alone.

I doubt it would help but I'd put in a complaint to TSA just on princiiple.

Tyeetime 01-08-2018 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam (Post 5596505)
Patted her down, treated her like crap. She is little, 4-9, 110 lbs., brittle and poor hearing. Her and her other 86 year old blue haired great grandmother flew together. Couldn’t raise her arms high enough in the XRay thing, he kept yelling raise your arms higher. She has arthritis and can’t. Nor could she understand him very well. So he takes her out and pats her down. She is unstable on her feet and started to tip over, so her friend reached out for her arm. He yells, “you can’t touch her until I’m done!”

Yeah, she’s a real threat. You could blow on her and she would fall down. Ugh, so irritated.

This is utterly unacceptable and completely unnecessary. I would be as mad as you are. I hope you complain to TSA management and to as many levels of politicians as you can.

The job is important, but no need for thugs.

frances50 01-09-2018 07:27 AM

This happens a lot. I have TSA Pre-check but I've still experienced over zealous TSA personnel who will still swab my purse for explosives and carefully inspect each coin in my change purse.

I flew out of the Phoenix airport in September and they practically strip searched a 75 year old woman in a wheel chair. It was her first time flying without her husband and she was a nervous wreck by the time she got to the gate. I felt really sorry for her.

RP 01-09-2018 07:32 AM

Thanks for providing additional reasons for me to forgo air travel - the last time was in the early 90s...

imwjl 01-09-2018 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam (Post 5596505)

We just went through this with 3 late octogenarians. My other in law gets grief all the way through because she's been here with a green card since 1962. Yeah you could say it's silly but my mother in law and mother had the right attitude. Understand it's a system one of us won't change at that moment so don't stoop to any levels below you.

My mother has it the most right - smile at everyone and for everything even if that's not how you really feel inside. It may help with others. It helps you regardless.

Basalt Beach 01-09-2018 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imwjl (Post 5597017)
Understand it's a system one of us won't change at that moment so don't stoop to any levels below you.

My mother has it the most right - smile at everyone and for everything even if that's not how you really feel inside. It may help with others. It helps you regardless.

+1

My Mom never flew till my Dad passed and we had to fly him north. It was her first plane trip at 77. It was before 9/11. After 9/11 at 85 years old, her sister passed and she flew again. Similar to what happen to Horse's mother, it happened to my Mom. A white haired 85 year old, 5'1", 120 lbs, with arthritis. She had six heart attacks by then, and had a pace maker, so they had to do a pat down. She also wore a hearing aid, and could not understand their instructions. Through it all, she simply complied and smiled.

Given this was her 2nd flight ever, and after 9/11, on the plane she asked me if they do this to everyone all the time, and humorously wondered if she looked like a terror threat.

SpiderTrap 01-09-2018 09:05 AM

So Sad . From what I read , they make $11 an hour , Barely above Hamburger flippers . Have to be US Citizen or " US NATIONAL" ??
I guess that means Samoa or something ? Never heard that term used before ? ..

Wengr 01-09-2018 10:15 AM

If the security check was not so annoying and given to most everyone,
then how many $85 pre check passes do you think they would sell?