The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Does the wood used for the back and sides realy make a difference? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655139)

Alan Carruth 10-03-2022 12:45 PM

Double (laminated) sides go way back. There are very few 'new' innovations in the guitar world that don't involve new materials.

If you measure the acoustic and mechanical properties of soft maple and American black walnut you'll find that they match very closely. But if you ask people how they sound, they'll usually say that walnut sounds 'dark' and maple is 'bright'. In 'blind' tests people tend not to have consistent preferences for given B&S woods, but when they can see the instruments they strongly tend to prefer the 'traditional' woods. In short, people listen with their eyes. ;)

Some years ago I was told about a study of violin tone, where people were asked to rate various instruments in terms of some tone descriptors. They listened to short recordings of pairs of fiddles and were asked to say which one was more 'bright' or 'nasal' or 'even', or whatever. They found three things:
1) everybody used the terms differently,
2) each listener was consistent in their use of the terms, and,
3) if a given instrument had some quality that a particular listener didn't like, that would be unable to rate it on other qualities.

That is:
1) your 'bright' might be my 'nasal',
2) if you find A brighter than B, and B brighter than C, you'll always hear A as brighter than C, and
3) if find an instrument 'nasal', and you don't like that, you'll have a hard time telling whether it's more 'even' than another one.

By extension, I suspect that if you're turned off by maple B&S, you won't really be a good judge of whether a maple guitar sounds 'sweeter' than a rosewood one. It's hard to get past the wart on the nose....;)

Kinda Old 10-03-2022 12:49 PM

Darn! I hope so, with all the money I've shelled over the years. But honestly, I don't know for sure. I have two Washburn's in my arsenal that have plywood B&S's. They sound great and they both cost less than &500. I have a Martin standard series and a bunch of high end Taylors. The Washburn folk is My favorite for gigging and recording. $350.00 about six tears ago. I finally bought a case for it and it cost more than the guitar.

musicman1951 10-03-2022 01:48 PM

Yes, it definitely makes a difference. I think the question should be, "How much of a difference does it make to you?"

Not as much as the top, or the builder, that's for sure. I also believe your playing style can determine how much of a difference it makes to you.

I personally give it very little weight when I'm shopping. If it sounds good it is good. I've played Mahogany guitars that didn't last 15 seconds because they totally dissatisfied, but others were just lovely - so I'm definitely more about the builder.

But it still makes a difference. Everything makes a difference.

hovishead 10-03-2022 03:08 PM

I can easily tell the difference between my D-18 and D-28 so yes. Also I used to own an Advanced Jumbo which sounded like a rosewood guitar when played back to back with my J-45. An easy distinction between the two.

Matthjs 10-03-2022 03:35 PM

This video by Dana Bourgeois convinces me that the woods used in the sides and back will make a significant difference.

https://youtu.be/KDKTze4g510

jpd 10-03-2022 03:44 PM

Yup

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby Walker (Post 7098952)
... there were times I found it quite difficult to distinguish the differences between the wood being used. To my ears, if an instrument sounded good to me I didn't quite care what kind of materials were used.

What's your experience?

Hey Toby! My experience is the same...but I do prefer a mahogany b/s. Lately I 've found my old ears even like an inexpensive all laminate! ;)

YamahaGuy 10-03-2022 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CASD57 (Post 7098969)
Being I've played/owned both, I hear a difference,,,Rosewood has a more defined note separation...
It's like Microphones

Dynamic is like Mahogany
Condenser is like Rosewood

For me Rosewood is acquired taste as it can be off-putting the notes jumping out at you,, you almost hear to much :)
Where Mahogany has a smoother note separation ..

But of course it's only my .02 :)

I like this comparison and it makes sense to me. I might add that Koa wood is a nice balance between the two.

tommieboy 10-03-2022 03:58 PM

In my lifetime, I have only once owned one pair of (sister?) guitars. My 2011 Guild F30R Standard (EIR/Sitka) and my 2011 Guild F30 Standard (Hog/Sitka), both out of New Hartford, Connecticut. That is as close to the proverbial "all things being equal, except..." that I could ever hope for. In any case, with both guitars being restrung with the same type of string set and on the same day, the (Hog/Sitka) always had a cleaner vibe. Always.

And for what it's worth, I am also in the camp that really can't tell the difference between EIR vs Brazilian. In the 70s and 80s, I owned a lot of Brazilian Rosewood guitars. Now, when I commission a guitar, I typically go with EIR as my preferred rosewood.

Tommy

tommieboy 10-03-2022 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpd (Post 7099353)
Hey Toby! My experience is the same...but I do prefer a mahogany b/s. Lately I 've found my old ears even like an inexpensive all laminate! ;)

That's OK as long as they don't start pushing it as "genuine" laminate with a corresponding upcharge. Also, there is no reason in this day and age why we can't get a Brazilian Rosewood photo-imaged laminate at a reasonable price. OK, bad idea.

:D

Tommy

raysachs 10-03-2022 04:08 PM

I’ve owned guitar with mahogany B&S and with rosewood B&S and they sound different to me. No two guitars sound the same, but there are commonalities to how mahogany guitars sound and commonalities to how rosewood guitars sound. There might be some guitars of both types that pretty nearly meet in the middle and I wouldn’t be able to tell you which was which, but with those I’ve owned, it’s always been pretty clear.

-Ray

KalamazooGuy 10-03-2022 04:34 PM

Does the wood used for the back and sides realy make a difference?

Maple sounds different. I think Clarence White is quoted as saying, “Rosewood for live, mahogany for studio.”

rmoretti49 10-03-2022 04:52 PM

Playing a spruce topped guitar with Myrtle Wood back and sides convinced me that back and sides do make a difference.

Italuke 10-03-2022 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CASD57 (Post 7098969)
Being I've played/owned both, I hear a difference,,,Rosewood has a more defined note separation...

LOL, there are many folks who would say just the opposite! I guess that just goes to show...

On the topic though, heck there are folks who insist that for example r/w or hog LAMINATE make a noticeable difference in backs and sides. I always wanna challenge them to the blindfold test!

TBman 10-03-2022 05:19 PM

I've never had two guitars, made by the same manufacturer with different tone woods to compare in a side by side comparison.

hubcapsc 10-03-2022 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Italuke (Post 7099397)
LOL, there are many folks who would say just the opposite! I guess that just goes to show...

On the topic though, heck there are folks who insist that for example r/w or hog LAMINATE make a noticeable difference in backs and sides. I always wanna challenge them to the blindfold test!

I learned just a few days ago that my 57 Country Western (and many 50's and 60's
Gibsons) have laminated mahogany sides...

-Mike "sounds good to me..."