The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Do mahogany top guitars open up with time? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321065)

blacknblues 12-12-2013 02:41 PM

Do mahogany top guitars open up with time?

I know that spruce and other similar types of wood open up or improve with time, but what happens to mahogany after 80 years?

mstuartev 12-12-2013 02:46 PM

scientifically I can't say
I had a 1934 Martin 0-17 (all mahogany guitar) that sounded really good. Definitely open

catdaddy 12-12-2013 03:02 PM

I will give you a full report on my Martin J-15 in 2088. ;)

In the mean time I can tell you that there was a noticeable opening up of that guitar after about one year. That kind of change is something I've observed in every new guitar that I've ever owned regardless of the type of wood involved. I suspect it may be more of a general construction settling process rather than 'opening up' of the top alone. Since that time I haven't noticed any change.

stephenT 12-12-2013 03:22 PM

I bought my OO-15m custom pretty much fresh from Martin via LA Guitar Sales. I noticed an improvement after a few days of playing it in, but that's the case with most any guitar. It sounds real good now but it sounded real good when new.

I've had a couple OM-15s and they didn't change much. I did put one of the OM-15s on a tonerite and it loosened it up a little.

I think an all mahogany guitar needs to sound pretty good from new to improve much over the years.

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales 12-12-2013 03:52 PM

The short answer is yes, like other tone woods, Mahogany will open up with time. It will take a bit longer to notice a difference than with a Spruce top guitar, but a bit faster than Koa. Bottom line, any all solid wood guitar will improve with age.

SalFromChatham 12-12-2013 03:57 PM

I would not buy one if you do not like the tone out of the box. My current D15s (Mine and my son's) are 4 years old, and I do not notice a difference from when we bought them. This ain't bad; we love them when we bought ours!

#1's: http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/086ec7d9.png

Mine:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o.../photo-8-2.jpg

fishstick_kitty 12-12-2013 04:03 PM

I know this is anecdotal, but Richard Hoover (Santa Cruz) specifically chooses old "aged" mahogany when building the 1929 all mahogany guitars to get that open sound. I personally think it makes a big difference compared to other brand new mahogany guitars...so I would say that the aging process will have an affect for sure.

Tony Done 12-12-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales (Post 3731157)
. Bottom line, any all solid wood guitar will improve with age.

Some just get worse (and worse and worse....) with age. Did I ever tell you about my J-40? :(:mad:

FWIW, I wouldn't buy any guitar on future expectations, and my J-40 expereince is the reason I favour oldish guitars when buying.

Bowie 12-12-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Done (Post 3731184)
Some just get worse (and worse and worse....) with age. Did I ever tell you about my J-40? :(:mad:

FWIW, I wouldn't buy any guitar on future expectations, and my J-40 expereince is the reason I favour oldish guitars when buying.

Please elaborate, I'm interested in this story.

psychojohn 12-12-2013 04:17 PM

Yes but...

Isn't there a machine that you can use to make 'em open up quicker. OOoops. !! Going to call troll on myself. Never mind.

Seriously though, I posted a question about the opening up process in general, and the consensus seemed to be play time was a central factor over age of guitar. I imagine that opening up time would vary with wood density as well, so that hog would open up at a different pace or rate than cedar, for example. My uneducated opinion.

Tony Done 12-12-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowie (Post 3731187)
Please elaborate, I'm interested in this story.

This was maybe 18 years ago. I bought the guitar new because it sounded big and bright, good all round in fact. Over a period of about three years it turned into a miserable dull clunker, and I couldn't even get my mate at the music store to trade it for something else. Apart from the tone, it had other major issues, like the finish lifting in front of the bridge, a low neck angle and a fretboard extension that went up and down like a seesaw. - I couldn't get the action height anywhere near as low as I wanted it - about 1.6-1.8 mm. The importer (I'm in Oz) is responsible for the warranty, and the best he would offer was to steam the top back down again. No thanks.
I eventually did trade it, but at a big loss.

It had always been kept in my music room which is a good environment for keeping guitars, and I used a humidifier on it during dry spells. I'm quite confident that storage conditions weren't the problem, because my other guitars are just fine.

:) This might help you understand why I'm so cynical about more expensive/big name is better.

Bowie 12-12-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Done (Post 3731220)
This was maybe 18 years ago. I bought the guitar new because it sounded big and bright, good all round in fact. Over a period of about three years it turned into a miserable dull clunker, and I couldn't even get my mate at the music store to trade it for something else. Apart from the tone, it had other major issues, like the finish lifting in front of the bridge, a low neck angle and a fretboard extension that went up and down like a seesaw. - I couldn't get the action height anywhere near as low as I wanted it - about 1.6-1.8 mm. The importer (I'm in Oz) is responsible for the warranty, and the best he would offer was to steam the top back down again. No thanks.
I eventually did trade it, but at a big loss.

It had always been kept in my music room which is a good environment for keeping guitars, and I used a humidifier on it during dry spells. I'm quite confident that storage conditions weren't the problem, because my other guitars are just fine.

:) This might help you understand why I'm so cynical about more expensive/big name is better.

Wow, thx for sharing and sorry to hear that. I would expect that form a Gibson but not a Martin. Goes to show how little these "lifetime warranties" mean. I would never buy a new guitar just for a meaningless warranty if I could find the same one used.

My experience has been that they sound smoother with age but I do have a nice Tak that was too dark and murky for my tastes so it sat in the case for 5 years. Amazingly, when I pulled it out to start playing it again it was vibrant and shimmering. I wouldn't believe it if I didn't have old recordings to prove the difference. That experience re-invigorated my interest in acoustics.

muscmp 12-12-2013 06:18 PM

wood is wood! very simple!

play music!

addisj 12-13-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscmp (Post 3731351)
wood is wood! very simple!

play music!

Not that simple, Laminate doesn't tend to change over time like solid wood does. Defo not in my experience.

Tone Monster 12-13-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacknblues (Post 3731016)
I know that spruce and other similar types of wood open up or improve with time, but what happens to mahogany after 80 years?

depends but I had once a 63 Hummingbird that I wish I never gave up.