The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Yet another NGD...I actually STOLE it... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512803)

PTony 06-05-2018 09:03 PM

Yet another NGD...I actually STOLE it...

1 Attachment(s)
I kid, I kid.

But seriously, while perusing my local CL I found a crazy deal for an Epiphone SG G-400 PRO. I really do feel like I stole it. The build quality on these is surprising. And the Alnico V pu’s are quite good.

Anyway, I’ve inserted a Gratuitous pic.

Jerry D 06-05-2018 09:12 PM

I'll give you $200 for it. :lol:

PTony 06-05-2018 09:22 PM

Hahahaha! Well I can’t say I didn’t think there’s some profit in there...eventually...possibly...:D

Btw...I’ve been eyeing the Epi ES-339 PRO. How do you like yours?

Song 06-06-2018 06:42 AM

Congratulations on your new SG!

Jerry D 06-06-2018 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PTony (Post 5749168)
Hahahaha! Well I can’t say I didn’t think there’s some profit in there...eventually...possibly...:D

Btw...I’ve been eyeing the Epi ES-339 PRO. How do you like yours?

It's a great guitar, one of the best Epiphones, I think. I bought mine used and immediately took it to my "guy" for a setup, which helped. :)

PTony 06-07-2018 09:50 PM

Updated with pic

jwguitar 06-12-2018 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PTony (Post 5749158)
I kid, I kid.

But seriously, while perusing my local CL I found a crazy deal for an Epiphone SG G-400 PRO. I really do feel like I stole it.

The build quality on these is surprising. And the Alnico V pu’s are quite good. After I did a setup (string height 5/64 on Bass Side & 4/64 on treble, .012 relief, pickup height 3/32 on bass side 2/32 on treble), I then dressed the frets, Lemon oiled the dry board, then fresh strings. Once that was squared away I stripped it down and cleaned everything. It was pretty disgusting. I’m a bit OCD but it always amazes me how others treat their guitar(s).

I’ll probably throw a set of CTS 500k in it, new caps, pushback cloth wiring (possibly wired to 50’s wiring schematic), and a SwitchCraft toggle and Jack. The pickups seem to be decent enough. If need be I can always swap them out for something else... easy enough. The tuners are decent enough. They hold tune. I may swap the nut for a Graph-Tech also.

All cheap and easy. This will be a fun little “fill in the gap/project” guitar. I suppose none of the above is necessary, but I actually enjoy modding, doing setups, etc.

Anyway, I’ve inserted a Gratuitous pic. I’m open to ideas/suggestions regarding “mods”. One thing I’ve wondered about were caps. I’ve typically used orange drops. Anyone have any experience with PIO “bumblebees” ?

Nice find!

Bob Womack 06-12-2018 10:25 AM

Looks like fun!

Bob

PTony 06-12-2018 09:01 PM

So far I’ve had a blast with it! It’s been fun to bust out some Doors, ZZ Top or AC/DC.