The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Emerald X-20 Owners - String Preferences (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591058)

SprintBob 08-28-2020 02:00 PM

Emerald X-20 Owners - String Preferences

Calling on Emerald X-20 owners to share their preference of string choice especially if you play solo fingerstyle.

I purchased a used X-20 about 2 months ago. I love the ergonomics and the neck but I’m disappointed somewhat with the tone. I play primarily solo fingerstyle and I find the tonal response seems a bit weak primarily with the treble strings. My favorite strings are Thomastik Infeld Plectrums and I set up the guitar first with these strings which work great on all the other acoustics in my sig. The low end was pretty good but I just could not get any volume or depth from the high end. I tried a set of Elixir Nanoweb 80/20’s a couple of days ago and it seems to have gotten worse (coated (Elixir) versus non-coated (Plectrums)?). I also changed out the Tusq saddle with a bone saddle (from McPherson). I’ll reinstall the Tusq saddle to see if there is an improvement with the Elixirs. I bought this guitar to replace a Rainsong CO-WS1005NST and while I love the feel of the Emerald, I have to say I like the tone of the Rainsong better so I’m hanging on to it for now.

I really want to like the X20 so would appreciate those who love theirs to share what strings they like to use.

Thanks!

David Eastwood 08-28-2020 02:07 PM

I've had my X20 6-string for nearly two years now. I play only fingerstyle.

I really didn't care for the D'Addario EXPs it shipped with, so I tried D'Addario Nickel Bronze (lights - 12-53) instead.

Sold. Much more pleasing sound to my ears - really well balanced across the whole guitar. I've used nothing else since, and really have no reason to change.

They last really well (for me, at least), and feel much smoother under the fingers. Also their silvery sheen really looks cool on my red X20.

I just wish I could buy a 7-string set for my X20-7. On that, I've been using a custom set of Newtone Phosphor-Bronze strings, which suit that instrument very well.

ssjk 08-28-2020 02:46 PM

I went through a bunch of them and settled on the NB as well. Full list and reactions below. I hardly ever play in DADGAD, but these strings on this guitar sound great to me for that

D'Addario NB1252BT 2/27 A- nice feel. Solid but controlled bass. Excellent chime. Same reaction on second use.
Tomastik Infield Plectrum AC111 9/19 B+ Good chime and clarity.
D’Addario EXP PB delivered B+ very good clarity/chime. A bit rough on feel. Seemed bass heavy but need to recheck
Martin Retro MM12 8/19 C- muddy. soft feel though
Martin SP 8/19 C thin overall
D'Addario NB1252BT 9/19 A- nice feel. Solid but controlled bass. Excellent chime
Elixer PB 9/19 B+ good feel. meh chime

ssjk 08-28-2020 02:48 PM

now that I think of it, I'm sure I tried the NB because Eatswodo said to. So thanks for that - a bit late.

David Eastwood 08-28-2020 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssjk (Post 6481843)
now that I think of it, I'm sure I tried the NB because Eatswodo said to. So thanks for that - a bit late.

You’re welcome :)

I should mention also that my X20 lives in Open D (DADF#AD), and even these relatively light gauges work beautifully for my purposes.

SprintBob 08-28-2020 05:34 PM

I’ve tried the D’Addario NB’s and they were pretty good so I’ll put them on the list to try.

Anyone tried any John Pearse 80/20’s? I’ve got some JP NB’s too.

Earl49 08-28-2020 06:07 PM

a simple guy

FWIW all of my guitars typically use the same three types strings: Elixir Nanoweb PB, D'Addarrio EJ-16, and GHS White Bronze. I have not done a whole lot of experimenting, mostly sticking with what works for me and is easy to get. Coated strings are for guitars that do not get played very often like my twelve string, and uncoated strings are for those that get tuned up and down repeatedly (that kills tone in a hurry so there is no point in having coated strings). My X20 is currently wearing Cleartones but they are approaching the end of their lifespan after 4-5 months. I'll likely go back to good old Elixir.

I did experiment with John Pearse Pure Nickels on my Lucky 13, but that did not work out well at all. They are fine on my wood guitars, but the CF Lucky 13 really did not care for them. The X30 has a set of GHS White bronze right now -- the brightness helps to balance the inherently bassy character -- but those will be due for a change soon.

seannx 08-28-2020 08:35 PM

My RainSong came with Elixir 80/20 lights. While I’ve always been fine with Elixir PB lights, the 80/20s felt slippery, and to me the sound was kind of metallic. I switched to EJ-16 PBs, and am really happy with them. It’s a lot warmer, and no more slippery feel.
The Emerald X20 I got a few weeks ago (it’s one of the new ones) came with D'Addario EXPs. I’m not sure what specific kind they were, but they looked nickel colored. Didn’t like the slippery feel, and similar to the RainSong, I wanted a warmer sound. I replaced them with a set of Santa Cruz PB low tension, and feel it really added the warmth and tone I wanted, and they feel better, too. Strings last me a long time, and when it’s time to change, I’ll probably try some EJ 16s.

Bax Burgess 08-28-2020 09:54 PM

The OP could try rounding the edges of the saddle's foot. Easy to do, might make a difference.

Puerto Player 08-29-2020 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SprintBob (Post 6481796)
Calling on Emerald X-20 owners to share their preference of string choice especially if you play solo fingerstyle.

I purchased a used X-20 about 2 months ago. I love the ergonomics and the neck but I’m disappointed somewhat with the tone. I play primarily solo fingerstyle and I find the tonal response seems a bit weak primarily with the treble strings. My favorite strings are Thomastik Infeld Plectrums and I set up the guitar first with these strings which work great on all the other acoustics in my sig. The low end was pretty good but I just could not get any volume or depth from the high end. I tried a set of Elixir Nanoweb 80/20’s a couple of days ago and it seems to have gotten worse (coated (Elixir) versus non-coated (Plectrums)?). I also changed out the Tusq saddle with a bone saddle (from McPherson). I’ll reinstall the Tusq saddle to see if there is an improvement with the Elixirs. I bought this guitar to replace a Rainsong CO-WS1005NST and while I love the feel of the Emerald, I have to say I like the tone of the Rainsong better so I’m hanging on to it for now.

I really want to like the X20 so would appreciate those who love theirs to share what strings they like to use.

Thanks!

Does your X20 have a stock/standard neck and nut width?

David Eastwood 08-29-2020 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bax Burgess (Post 6482129)
The OP could try rounding the edges of the saddle's foot. Easy to do, might make a difference.

Not sure I understand this. Care to elaborate?

Bax Burgess 08-29-2020 09:59 AM

Yes. If the saddle is square at the edges and the bridge-slot floor's edges are slightly rounded, the saddle can be bridging over the slot floor instead of firmly engaging it. Sanding the saddle's lower edge gives it a better chance for contact. Trebles will fill out, if that was the issue.

David Eastwood 08-29-2020 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bax Burgess (Post 6482455)
Yes. If the saddle is square at the edges and the bridge-slot floor's edges are slightly rounded, the saddle can be bridging over the slot floor instead of firmly engaging it. Sanding the saddle's lower edge gives it a better chance for contact. Trebles will fill out, if that was the issue.

Got it. Typically the effect of a poorly fitting saddle like that will be much more noticeable if there’s a UST involved, but it stands to reason that it could manifest itself in a purely acoustic setting.

I’d suggest that the better approach might be to ensure that both the slot and the saddle are as flat as possible, but flattening the bottom of the slot would require some knowledge and skill.

Bax Burgess 08-29-2020 01:19 PM

Stewmac and Philadelphia Luthier offer a bridge slot file(s) that makes the process accessible to amateur and pro alike. Using one of these will often initially reveal that the slot floor has some depressions. I still round my saddle edges.

SprintBob 08-29-2020 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puerto Player (Post 6482231)
Does your X20 have a stock/standard neck and nut width?

1-3/4” nut but short scale.

All of my other guitars with the exception of my Robinson sloped shoulder are short scale also.

All of my other guitars with the exception of my SCGC OM/PW and the X20 are 12 fret guitars.