The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Franklin Jumbo Build (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586524)

mhw48 10-09-2020 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindboyjimi (Post 6519845)
This for sure makes me want to trade something in for a 16” or jumbo. I wish I had something I didn’t absolutely love so I could trade up. It’s awesome.

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to getting this guitar in person!

pegleghowell 10-13-2020 08:39 AM

The varnish really brings the wood to life.It`s going to be glorious when finished.

mhw48 10-14-2020 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pegleghowell (Post 6522641)
The varnish really brings the wood to life.It`s going to be glorious when finished.

I am amazed by the way the wood looks, and Nick says the photos don’t really do it justice.

FormerFoodie 10-14-2020 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhw48 (Post 6523860)
I am amazed by the way the wood looks, and Nick says the photos don’t really do it justice.

I'm getting excited and amped up, and I'm not even the person who is going to receive the guitar!!!!!! :D

mhw48 10-15-2020 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FormerFoodie (Post 6523978)
I'm getting excited and amped up, and I'm not even the person who is going to receive the guitar!!!!!! :D

I am similarly excited, but it seems slightly unreal for the moment - I look at the photos, re-read all the posts and catch myself thinking “I’m so jealous!” I am constantly wanting to bug Nick, not only to get the lastest updates (“the varnish is drying”), but to reassure myself that it’s actually happening!

iim7V7IM7 10-15-2020 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhw48 (Post 6524716)
I am similarly excited, but it seems slightly unreal for the moment - I look at the photos, re-read all the posts and catch myself thinking “I’m so jealous!” I am constantly wanting to bug Nick, not only to get the lastest updates (“the varnish is drying”), but to reassure myself that it’s actually happening!

“Drying” refers to the evaporation of the solvent which results in a solid film. Nitrocellulose Lacquer is a common finish that changes to a solid through a “drying” process. “Curing” refers to a chemical reaction that occurs in the finish to bring about the change from liquid to solid. Oil Varnish is a common finish that changes to a solid through a “curing” process...:)

mhw48 10-16-2020 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 (Post 6524724)
“Drying” refers to the evaporation of the solvent which results in a solid film. Nitrocellulose Lacquer is a common finish that changes to a solid through a “drying” process. “Curing” refers to a chemical reaction that occurs in the finish to bring about the change from liquid to solid. Oil Varnish is a common finish that changes to a solid through a “curing” process...:)

The distinction between "drying" and "curing" is an interesting one. Both lacquer and varnish "dry" as well as "cure". As you point out, the processes are different for each. Lacquer "drys" through the evaporation of solvents, and will continue to "cure" over at least the next month as the finish continues to "off-gas" the remnants of the solvent. Oil Varnish dries through a chemical reaction -- precipitated by UV. Nick has a UV box into which he places the guitar for 12 hours to dry between coats. Although dry to the touch, the varnish will continue to cure for several months. In both cases the finish hardens as it continues to cure.

justonwo 10-16-2020 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhw48 (Post 6525066)
The distinction between "drying" and "curing" is an interesting one. Both lacquer and varnish "dry" as well as "cure". As you point out, the processes are different for each. Lacquer "drys" through the evaporation of solvents, and will continue to "cure" over at least the next month as the finish continues to "off-gas" the remnants of the solvent. Oil Varnish dries through a chemical reaction -- precipitated by UV. Nick has a UV box into which he places the guitar for 12 hours to dry between coats. Although dry to the touch, the varnish will continue to cure for several months. In both cases the finish hardens as it continues to cure.

I’m not sure you and Bob are agreeing here. He’s saying drying is a physical process (evaporation of solvents) and curing is a chemical process (not related to solvents). It sounds like you’re saying solvents are evaporating in both cases. I actually know little about finish chemistry.

mhw48 10-16-2020 01:26 PM

Yes, varnish and lacquer go from liquid to solid through different processes. However "drying" and "curing" are different parts of that process: "Most paints and varnishes, as well as many lacquers, undergo both drying and curing processes. Drying is the initial phase, where the coating shrinks due to the loss of the solvent component. Curing is the second (usually much longer) phase where the coating changes physically and/or chemically; it may swell slightly during this process."

justonwo 10-16-2020 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhw48 (Post 6525382)
Yes, varnish and lacquer go from liquid to solid throughdifferend processes. However "drying" and "curing" are different parts of that process: "Most paints and varnishes, as well as many lacquers, undergo both drying and curing processes. Drying is the initial phase, where the coating shrinks due to the loss of the solvent component. Curing is the second (usually much longer) phase where the coating changes physically and/or chemically; it may swell slightly during this process."

I’m fairly sure your guitar is going to dry and cure into a work of art!

mhw48 10-16-2020 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justonwo (Post 6525256)
I’m not sure you and Bob are agreeing here. He’s saying drying is a physical process (evaporation of solvents) and curing is a chemical process (not related to solvents). It sounds like you’re saying solvents are evaporating in both cases. I actually know little about finish chemistry.

I'm not disagreeing with Bob. I think a confusion of tongues occurred between us because, as Bob rightly noted, "drying" of lacquer refers to hardening through evaporation of solvents, while "curing" of oil varnish refers to chemical polymerization. However, for a craftsman "dry time", for either lacquer or varnish, refers to the length of time between coats, "cure time" refers to the time before the instrument can be put to use. So when I call Nick for an update, he'll say "the varnish is drying" because he just put on another coat and stuck the guitar in his UV drying box. Once all the coats have been applied, he'll say "the finish is curing for a while" before he sends it to me.
Both statements mean I have to wait!

Quote:

Originally Posted by justonwo (Post 6525406)
I’m fairly sure your guitar is going to dry and cure into a work of art!

That's the important point!

stuartb 10-23-2020 09:33 PM

oh man, I'm going to have to hear a recording of your guitar once it's in your possession. Particularly given the African Blackwood choice - I'm so curious - makes me want another Franklin! I've listened to some specific African Blackwood guitar recordings, and it's a beautiful sounding tonewood for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhw48 (Post 6450008)
The back and sides with a wipe of Naptha gives an idea of how the African Blackwood will look under finish and shows off the backstrip. The color is very rich, not a solid black but more like a really dark chocolate.

mhw48 10-24-2020 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuartb (Post 6531786)
oh man, I'm going to have to hear a recording of your guitar once it's in your possession. Particularly given the African Blackwood choice - I'm so curious - makes me want another Franklin! I've listened to some specific African Blackwood guitar recordings, and it's a beautiful sounding tonewood for sure.

I'm very curious to hear it too. Nick has had experience building with African Blackwood, and spoke highly of it. He had my guitar set up before he varnished it, and was playing it for about two weeks -- he was really entranced with the sound! He's very curious to hear how it sounds under varnish.

blindboyjimi 11-18-2020 02:12 PM

Any updates?

mhw48 11-18-2020 03:57 PM

Nothing new to report at the moment. Work on the varnish has been interrupted by the fact that Nick is in the process of selling his house -- and he has his finishing room set up there. BUT, the moment there's news, I'll pass it along!