The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Good guitar shops in Columbus, OH? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563543)

fingerstile 11-12-2019 01:09 PM

Good guitar shops in Columbus, OH?

I’ll be in Columbus on Saturday. Have about two hours in the afternoon and hoped to visit a shop or two. I’ll be staying about 10 miles from OSU.

Can anyone suggest a place that has good quality stuff? Someplace where I can find stuff from builders like Bourgeois, H&D, Collings, etc.?

DavidE 11-12-2019 01:36 PM

We used to have stores like that, but alas I think they're all gone. Run off by Sam Ash and Guitar Center. We even had a store that sold Froggy Bottoms years and years ago. I haven't been in a long time, but there's an indepent store in Powell (North) that had a nice Taylor selection a couple of years ago.

I'll ask around and see if there's a place I don't know about.

Even the String Shoppe on campus went out several years ago. If you can't stay open with a huge university across the street....

Lockback 11-12-2019 01:58 PM

Guitar Workshop on Chambers Rd. It’s a small mom & pop store located in an old house in a nice area. I’ve seen some really nice instruments in there, usually on consignment but they sell new stuff too.
John is the owner. A really nice guy. Check ‘em out!
And it’s right by campus.

DavidE 11-12-2019 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fingerstile (Post 6209679)
I’ll be in Columbus on Saturday. Have about two hours in the afternoon and hoped to visit a shop or two. I’ll be staying about 10 miles from OSU.

Can anyone suggest a place that has good quality stuff? Someplace where I can find stuff from builders like Bourgeois, H&D, Collings, etc.?

Fifth Avenue Fret Shop in Grandview has a 2000 Goodall Grand Concert in the shop. $4000. Also: I’ve got that, a 2012 Martin 00-28 vs 12 fret slotted headstock for $3000 and a 2010 Taylor GC6 (steel string classical shape slotted peghead) $1500.

Apparently Guitar House Workshop carries some high end acoustics and it's close to campus: https://www.facebook.com/Guitar-Hous...p-91968766007/ . or . http://www.guitarhouseworkshop.com/?...ozsFdt5R0FSdpU

There's a guy named Greg Hankins who has the following: I have some high end inventory left from Lakewood (German, small shop like H&D, Santa Cruz)
I’m in process of pulling some out of the basement and offering them for sale
I was the importer for Lakewood in the US for a few years. I was a dealer for sure Collings, Santa Cruz, H & Dalton, Goodall and Bourgeois.
Of all those, I prefer Lakewood for sound.

DavidE 11-12-2019 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lockback (Post 6209738)
Guitar Workshop on Chambers Rd. It’s a small mom & pop store located in an old house in a nice area. I’ve seen some really nice instruments in there, usually on consignment but they sell new stuff too.
John is the owner. A really nice guy. Check ‘em out!
And it’s right by campus.

I wonder how I didn't now about this place. Just got the lowdown from a couple of people. I'll have to stop by.

Lockback 11-12-2019 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidE (Post 6209748)
I wonder how I didn't now about this place. Just got the lowdown from a couple of people. I'll have to stop by.

The funny thing is I lived literally a block from them for years and didn't know they were there. They're on a short, narrow street in a house and they don't do much advertising, if at all. I was looking for a luthier to do some setup work for me a couple years ago and stumbled on them while doing a Google search for local luthiers. Very friendly on the phone and they did a great job on my guitar. I need to stop by there again soon. I know John the owner had some health issues awhile back but I hear he's back and doing well.
Hope you stop by. It's a nice little place!

alien 11-12-2019 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidE (Post 6209746)
There's a guy named Greg Hankins who has the following: I have some high end inventory left from Lakewood (German, small shop like H&D, Santa Cruz)
I’m in process of pulling some out of the basement and offering them for sale
I was the importer for Lakewood in the US for a few years. I was a dealer for sure Collings, Santa Cruz, H & Dalton, Goodall and Bourgeois.
Of all those, I prefer Lakewood for sound.

You mention Greg Hankins. He used to own Twin Rivers
over off of Old Henderson and Kenny roads. It was the best shop in Columbus! He sold several high end brands. I bought many guitars from his shop through the years. Then he closed down. And I totally lost track of him. :( Can you tell me...Is he still in the business? Is he still selling guitars? Where is he? And he loved Lakewood guitars! Send me a PM if you don't mind revealing just where Greg is hiding. If not, I understand.

To answer the OP question, check out Bluegrass Musicians Supply 1370 S. High St in Columbus

leew3 11-12-2019 07:44 PM

The Guitar Center on Morse Road has a decent inventory in the back of the acoustic room. They're all typically locked up but if, like me, you have that harmless, potentially affluent old guy vibe it's no problem getting at some high end Taylors and Martins. it's hit and miss whether you'll have to wade through shredders to get to them on a Saturday.

rgregg48 11-12-2019 08:03 PM

There used to be a Bluegrass oriented store on High Street past downtown.
It was called the Bluegrass musicians supply 1370 S. High st. I think it is still there. They had high-end guitars banjos and mandolins and a jam on Saturday mornings.

fingerstile 11-12-2019 08:22 PM

Thanks everyone! Sounds like I’ve got some options. Forum comes through again!

blackbelt308 11-13-2019 07:34 AM

Good to see a Columbus contingent here! My J-50 is currently at the Guitar House Workshop for a setup. My impressions of both the staff and shop have been very positive so far.

Enjoy!
Rick

Lockback 11-13-2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbelt308 (Post 6210364)
Good to see a Columbus contingent here! My J-50 is currently at the Guitar House Workshop for a setup. My impressions of both the staff and shop have been very positive so far.

Enjoy!
Rick

I stand corrected. Their accurate name is Guitar House Workshop, as you said. :D

dave42 11-13-2019 05:36 PM

Guitar House Workshop is my go to place. They restored my 1944 Gibson J45. Great work.

Jeff Scott 11-13-2019 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidE (Post 6209713)
...the String Shoppe on campus went out several years ago. If you can't stay open with a huge university across the street....

I thought they had moved to a different location for a while before closing. I used to buy lots of stuff from Mark and Tim in the early '80s.