The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Mark Hatcher's Studio 2017 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455791)

ukejon 09-07-2017 06:27 PM

Stunningly beautiful

TomB'sox 09-07-2017 09:31 PM

I like that rosette lullaby guitar or not!!!

emmsone 09-08-2017 05:23 AM

wait, what?! how on earth did you cut stars that small that accurately?!

Although you were right, it looks much better in the result you have now.

David

Mark Hatcher 09-09-2017 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukejon (Post 5469499)
Stunningly beautiful

Thanks ukejon!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB'sox (Post 5469670)
I like that rosette lullaby guitar or not!!!

Thanks Tom, Good! So that confirms that it's a good guitar design regardless if it's for a lullaby guitar. We just don't want the guitar to look like it has cartoons on it, if you know what I mean.

Quote:

Originally Posted by emmsone (Post 5469815)
wait, what?! how on earth did you cut stars that small that accurately?!

Although you were right, it looks much better in the result you have now.

David

Thanks David, yeah cutting those stars was nut's right?

We've worked out the trim for the guitar. We narrowed down the binding to light or dark flamed Koa and Black Ebony;

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4420/...ee77e9bf_c.jpg

The Black Ebony would bring out the black grain lines in the Madagascar Rosewood but, maybe a little too formal or dark for a lullaby guitar. The Koa offers a little figured charm and more contrast with the dark top and back. The question being: How much contrast do you want?.

We're going with the lighter Koa.

Mark Hatcher 09-11-2017 11:03 AM

Top Purfling
 
We've also decided on going with abalone top purfling. Here's a mock up;

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4366/...4a20fab4_c.jpg

Meanwhile the body is closing up fast;

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4351/...a83fe0fc_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4388/...b1469f99_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4391/...6864974a_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4408/...01095122_c.jpg

mikealpine 09-11-2017 09:03 PM

I love everything about this guitar, from the look, down to the whole thought process behind the build. My daughters are now 13 and 16, and I wish I had thought of this for when they were younger. As a dad who loves his daughters, this build really makes me smile. Beautiful workmanship, as always, Mark.

Mark Hatcher 09-12-2017 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikealpine (Post 5473482)
I love everything about this guitar, from the look, down to the whole thought process behind the build. My daughters are now 13 and 16, and I wish I had thought of this for when they were younger. As a dad who loves his daughters, this build really makes me smile. Beautiful workmanship, as always, Mark.

Thanks Mike, It's a special build for me too!

Here are two pictures with the body closed;

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4342/...ecb9d488_b.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4394/...179ec3eb_c.jpg

Thanks for following along!
Mark

NewPicker 09-12-2017 12:52 PM

That Carter top is gorgeous! I keep showing my older daughter (3 years) the pictures of our new guitar. She just learned that the moon is sometimes shaped as a crescent, and was pretty excited about the rosette.

cigarfan 09-12-2017 02:14 PM

Lookin' Schweeet! Bet this guitar is going to really sound good!

Mark Hatcher 09-13-2017 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cigarfan (Post 5474066)
Lookin' Schweeet! Bet this guitar is going to really sound good!

Thanks cigarfan! I'm thinking this will sound great. When just tapping that Redwood top now it's loud, full, and it rings and rings.

I've started the Koa trim on the body and that begins with the end graft;

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4401/...ece9bf7d_c.jpg

I'm also working up the neck at this point. We're going with a rosewood neck. The more I use alternative woods for necks the more I like them, There is a great feel, additional sustain, stability, and while I freely admit this is a subjective opinion I believe I can hear tonal advantages as well;

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4317/...6301b4b1_c.jpg

Those who follow me probably know I do a variety of headstock styles. One is what I tend to call my sculpted pillow topped design. This is a lullaby guitar? Hmm that's a no brainer! Here is a picture of the design for those who don't normally follow my work;

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3916/...088298e0_c.jpg

Mark Hatcher 09-14-2017 05:54 AM

End Graft
 
Here is a quick picture of the Koa end graft with a bit of Naptha to sow how the colors all line up;

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4336/...d1c8f6d5_b.jpg

Mark

IBKuz 09-14-2017 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher (Post 5474609)
Those who follow me probably know I do a variety of headstock styles. One is what I tend to call my sculpted pillow topped design. This is a lullaby guitar? Hmm that's a no brainer! Here is a picture of the design for those who don't normally follow my work;

Mark, totally unnecessary (though I never seem to tire of seeing more build pictures), there isn't anyone on the AGF that doesn't follow your work ... :D ... have you decided what headplate material you are going to use?

Mark Hatcher 09-15-2017 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IBKuz (Post 5476174)
Mark, totally unnecessary (though I never seem to tire of seeing more build pictures), there isn't anyone on the AGF that doesn't follow your work ... :D ... have you decided what headplate material you are going to use?

Thanks IBKuz!, were working out the wood combinations now for the head plate and fret board here are the contenders;

Black Ebony fret board and curly Koa headplate;

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4386/...acea710e_c.jpg

Macassar Ebony fret board and headplate;

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4367/...8cc55b60_c.jpg

Macassar Ebony fret board with curly Kos headplate;

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4387/...c7ea7824_c.jpg

IBKuz 09-15-2017 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher (Post 5477134)
Thanks IBKuz!, were working out the wood combinations now for the head plate and fret board here are the contenders;

Black Ebony fret board and curly Koa headplate;

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4386/...acea710e_c.jpg

Macassar Ebony fret board and headplate;

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4367/...8cc55b60_c.jpg

Macassar Ebony fret board with curly Kos headplate;

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4387/...c7ea7824_c.jpg

As I did ask the question, I feel I should forward my thoughts on the contenders. The Koa headplate stands out more for me due to the fact it balances well with the top colour. The future owner's children might also find this piece more visually interesting, bobbing about all glittery and shiny, as their father plays to them. With your pillow 3D design, the curl should look very interesting.

While I like this piece of Macassar very much I find the Ebony ties the headstock and body together better to my eye, especially with an Ebony bridge. It also will provide more contrast with the neck, the Macassar fretboard may get a little lost against the neck unless you were to bind it with a contrasting material.


Just my 02, mileage may vary ... etc :wink:

Nemoman 09-15-2017 03:49 PM

I echo Ian's thoughts--I prefer the ebony fingerboard and the koa headplate. Although all the options are tasty, the ebony brings contrast and better integration with the bridge to the table. YMMV...


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=