The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Build and Repair (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Make a binding jig (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507597)

Mark Hatcher 04-18-2018 02:49 PM

Make a binding jig
 
I made this binding jig about seven years ago and have been using ever since with consistent success:

https://farm7.staticflickr.com/6177/...ce6f8161_b.jpg

I've had a number of people ask me about it and thought others might be unhappy with their current system and would like to try this set up:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2919/...63909798_b.jpg

I put together a little Flickr album with measurements and I added notes in the description. Here is a link to the album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/283528...h/32356157733/

If you go for it I hope it serves you as well as mine has worked for me!

Mark

printer2 04-18-2018 02:58 PM

I have a down cut bit but it is only 1/4" diameter. I find I get inconstant results due to unintended movements with my version of the jig. I was wondering if I should go to a larger diameter even though that means loosing the down cut feature?

charles Tauber 04-18-2018 03:20 PM

As an aside, the original jig comes from Jean Larrivee and his apprentices. I first saw it in the 1970's while visiting Grit Laskin.

A commercial version of the jig is available from Canadian Luthier Supply, https://www.canadianluthiersupply.co...ts/binding-jig. There is an "improved version" also, though I can't find the link to it at the moment.

In my opinion, having tried many binding jig options, this is the best of the jigs out there. Easy to use, gives excellent results and is difficult to screw up.

Thanks, Mark, for sharing your design.

Mark Hatcher 04-18-2018 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by printer2 (Post 5704897)
I have a down cut bit but it is only 1/4" diameter. I find I get inconstant results due to unintended movements with my version of the jig. I was wondering if I should go to a larger diameter even though that means loosing the down cut feature?

If I understand what you said, the cutter diameter is 1/4". If that's the case, I believe the larger diameter is helpful. Here is why, with the larger diameter cutter you can use larger diameter dumb bells and with those you can line the center of the dumb bell with the center of the cutter. This way you rock the side left and right without changing the depth of the cut. This helps a lot for curves, like the inside of a cut away. Also the larger diameter dumb bell is just going to slide easier.

Mark Hatcher 04-18-2018 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charles Tauber (Post 5704922)
As an aside, the original jig comes from Jean Larrivee and his apprentices. I first saw it in the 1970's while visiting Grit Laskin.

A commercial version of the jig is available from Canadian Luthier Supply, https://www.canadianluthiersupply.co...ts/binding-jig. There is an "improved version" also, though I can't find the link to it at the moment.

In my opinion, having tried many binding jig options, this is the best of the jigs out there. Easy to use, gives excellent results and is difficult to screw up.

Thanks, Mark, for sharing your design.

That original Canadian design was probably the first time I saw this kind of set up. They weren't making them 7 years ago when I made this. I've also seen very similar designs that were used in the 40s that were belt driven instead of using a router.

printer2 04-18-2018 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charles Tauber (Post 5704922)
Easy to use, gives excellent results and is difficult to screw up.

So then, what are you saying about me? :confused:

charles Tauber 04-19-2018 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by printer2 (Post 5705033)
So then, what are you saying about me? :confused:

Nothing. It probably says something about your jig, though.

charles Tauber 04-19-2018 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher (Post 5705029)
I've also seen very similar designs that were used in the 40s that were belt driven instead of using a router.

Interesting. I didn't know that.

Kudos for making your own.

printer2 04-19-2018 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charles Tauber (Post 5705550)
Nothing. It probably says something about your jig, though.

Just kidding.

LouieAtienza 04-19-2018 06:08 PM

Chris Ensor makes a really nice version...

charles Tauber 04-19-2018 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouieAtienza (Post 5706180)
Chris Ensor makes a really nice version...


Thanks, that's what I was looking for and couldn't find the link or the name. An obvious improvement over the Larrivee type jig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0phI-2I4DI

AshrafO 04-19-2018 11:55 PM

Thank you, Mark! Much appreciated!

Bonneybear 04-26-2018 04:36 PM

Hi Mark, thanks for sharing those plans and pics. Couple questions.what are the 2 diameter sizes of the dumb bells? Do you need a smaller rabbet bit with the smaller dumb bell? And do the wheels turn or do you just glide across the dumb bell. Hope I donít sound like a dumb bell. Thanks

Mark Hatcher 04-26-2018 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonneybear (Post 5712629)
Hi Mark, thanks for sharing those plans and pics. Couple questions.what are the 2 diameter sizes of the dumb bells? Do you need a smaller rabbet bit with the smaller dumb bell? And do the wheels turn or do you just glide across the dumb bell. Hope I donít sound like a dumb bell. Thanks

The different size dumb bells are to cut different depths. The cutter remains the same. It is better to change the diameter of the dumb bell then to simply raise or lower them. When the dumb bells centers are aligned with the center of the cutter it will cut the same depth when you rock the guitar left or right like when you're in tight places. I actually have about 5 sizes that meet my needs.

The side just slides along the nylon dumb bells. I haven't tried making them roll but, I believe that little bit of resistance might be better for control. In any case it isn't a problem not rolling.

Bonneybear 04-27-2018 06:29 AM

Ok, got it. Thanks, can you share with us the diameter of the wheels most commonly used? You mentioned you had 5 sets. Thanks in advance.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=