The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   A Green Michaud OM-R (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600987)

virob 12-13-2020 10:25 PM

A Green Michaud OM-R

Hi, this all started back in 2016 when my brother-in-law, Dan, asked if I had heard of Joel Michaud out of Calgary. Dan was staying at a friend’s cabin on Haida Gwaii next to Kevin Henning of Symphontree guitars, when Kevin can over one evening raving about a MichaudMade guitar he had with him.

Nope.

Months later, I was checking out a YouTube video by Michael Chapdelaine playing a new Michaud guitar. Hmmm,...my curiosity was piqued. It just so happened there was a Michaud guitar for sale on AGF, which led me to another Michaud that I ended up buying.

It had a really thick neck that was giving me problems, so I contacted Joel about getting the neck shaved down. He assured me it was a relatively simple procedure. We continued to chat back and forth, I was impressed with both the guitar and the builder and before too long I had reserved a build slot.

We tentatively decided on an OM-R, Sitka spruce/ Panama rosewood, cutaway and Manzer wedge. Over the next 2 years or so, I had many opportunities to rethink these specs and occasionally pester Joel with questions.
I also started visiting the custom guitar forum to learn more about custom guitars and get some ideas for the upcoming build. This forum has been a wealth of information, intro to a whole world of incredibly talented people building guitars that I had no idea existed. I have reached out to some of you with questions and everyone has been so helpful and kind. Consider this a bit of a payback for all that help and kindness. So, with that, stay tuned!

pandaroo 12-13-2020 11:30 PM

Looking forward to this build thread. I have no doubt you'd be in for a real treat. My slot is still a long way ahead (2022), I will have to drool over yours first.

Dustinfurlow 12-14-2020 12:41 PM

Congrats on your build...every Michaud I've played has been a lush, luxurious, velvety smooth experience. Nice guy, too.

CoolerKing 12-14-2020 05:17 PM

You won't be disappointed. I played a beautiful guitar of his in Memphis about five years ago, Tree/spruce. It was pretty stellar.

virob 12-14-2020 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pandaroo (Post 6575240)
Looking forward to this build thread. I have no doubt you'd be in for a real treat. My slot is still a long way ahead (2022), I will have to drool over yours first.

I can relate. It can be a long wait :)

Quote:

Congrats on your build...every Michaud I've played has been a lush, luxurious, velvety smooth experience. Nice guy, too.
Thanks. Nice to get feedback from others with more experience with different builders. Love your playing by the way.

Quote:

You won't be disappointed. I played a beautiful guitar of his in Memphis about five years ago, Tree/spruce. It was pretty stellar.
Yes, pretty excited. I did get a chance to play a couple Michaud guitars including one out of pernambuco.

virob 12-14-2020 09:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I knew I wanted a Spruce top, but back and sides were another story, rosewoods, mahoganies, walnuts, maples, ebonies… yikes! With too much time to wait and think,I ended up going down the dreaded tone-wood rabbit hole. Don’t what to do that again.

In early 2019, I visited Joel’s shop, and Joel laid out a smorgasbord of 15-20 different woods for viewing, some, exotics like the “Tree” and Pernambuco, what a treat! We narrowed it down to 3. The first was a lovely set of PRW, a hard-to-go-wrong choice and one of Joel’s favorites. The second was an interesting set of Myrtle. I liked that it was somewhat close to maple tonally. I was still hanging onto to the idea of maple, but have a maple guitar, so this didn’t make a lot of sense. The third was an unusual set of Honduran rosewood. It strangely captured my imagination, much to my surprise, and I think Joel’s as well. I decided to sleep on it for a couple days and get back to him. I kept getting drawn back the HRW.

Attachment 48465

In the end I decided to go with the HRW.

Attachment 48466Attachment 48467

cigarfan 12-15-2020 05:25 AM

Quite the unusual set of Rosewood. Congrats on your build. Met Joel at Woodstock. Certainly a nice guy. Played one of his parlor sized that was destined for an AGFer. What a special guitar. Was able to get that little room in the back left corner for 15 minutes. It was impressive.

funky2x 12-15-2020 06:52 AM

Congrats on your new build. You are in for a real treat. My Michaud is stunning both visually and sonically. And Joel is a great guy and an absolute pleasure to work with. Enjoy the journey.

virob 12-15-2020 06:33 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Cigarfan: unusual rosewood yes, but I have seen several other builds that look like they are using sister sets to this one.

Funky2x: Joel is a pleasure to work with and generous with his time.

I forgot to mention, this build is partially underway. I could dump a bunch of photos all at once, but instead I will try to organize and put a few thoughts together and post something regularly until caught up.

One of the first decisions, keep the sapwood or not?

Attachment 48512

Both options look great to me, but for the overall design goals we had in mind, the decision is to remove the sapwood and go with a less-is-more approach.

Attachment 48513

Next decision, back strip or no back strip?

Attachment 48514

I tend to like back strips but in this case it isn't adding anything. So, again, going with, less-is-more.

Attachment 48515

virob 12-16-2020 09:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
For the top, the choice was Sitka. Living in the PNW I have access to some spectacular old growth Sitka forests. It is a privilege to stand amongst these ancient trees.

Joel is well known for his innovative use of materials and inlay designs; they are simple stunning. While I really wanted to go that route, we decided on a different path and keep the design elements including the rosette, minimal.

Attachment 48560Attachment 48561Attachment 48562

virob 12-16-2020 10:09 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I wish I understood more about bracing. These are pretty cool with carbon fiber in the bracing and bridge plate.
Attachment 48563Attachment 48564Attachment 48565Attachment 48566

pandaroo 12-17-2020 01:53 AM

Thanks for sharing, what an interesting bracing strategy.

Archaic Guitars 12-17-2020 06:41 AM

Yeah, very interesting bracing, especially the traverse bar with the bend for the cutaway on the treble side. Cool stuff

virob 12-17-2020 09:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
In the last year or so Joel has started using structured sides.

Sides with the top being fitted.

Attachment 48581

virob 12-17-2020 03:14 PM

Joel builds with both structured and double sides. In this build, because we are going with an elevated, floating neck, the structured sides help.