The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   LISTEN (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Fingerstylist Doug Smith (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538724)

Kerbie 02-20-2019 07:30 PM

Fingerstylist Doug Smith

Anybody familiar with Doug's music? Wonderful guitarist and one of the finest teachers I've ever had at Swannanoa. I was listening to some of his music today and thought you guys might enjoy a couple of his tunes...

"Order of Magnitude"

"A Fine Line"

Bob Womack 02-21-2019 06:08 AM

Those were nice for first listens of the morning with coffee in hand.

Bob

Glennwillow 02-23-2019 10:03 AM

Very nice stuff, Kerbie!

Like Bob, I was having a cup of coffee and just bathed myself in the sounds. I put some headphones on so I wouldn't interrupt my wife. Lovely playing on some lovely guitars!

- Glenn

fretfile100 02-25-2019 10:24 AM

We got Pat this year...let's start a campaign to get Doug back.:)

islandguitar 02-25-2019 02:26 PM

Wasn't he the originator of that arrangement of Stars and Stripes Forever?

fretfile100 02-26-2019 10:48 AM

I believe that was Guy Van Duser, who showed it to Chet, et.al. Doug has a great version, as does Toby Walker.

jaymarsch 02-26-2019 11:09 AM

Doug Smith has been one of my faves for years. Beautiful arrangements and plays with great emotion. I have seen him play live once and he is also a very gracious guy.

Best,
Jayne

tbeltrans 02-26-2019 11:23 AM

Doug Smith...I have been listening to his music for years. There was a period of time around when those pieces were released, that much was going on, both for solo guitar and solo piano that was absolutely wonderful. I wish that period had lasted longer, but I can still enjoy the music from that time.

OP, thanks for posting those videos...

Tony

SprintBob 02-26-2019 07:16 PM

I fully agree Doug’s solo albums are wonderful and check out some of his duet albums with Mark Hansen. The first fingerstyle song I ever learned was Mark’s Canyon Canon and Mark and Doug do a beautiful performance of it on one of their albums.

I love Doug’s retro cool hair style. Takes me back to my college days!

TomB'sox 02-26-2019 07:38 PM

Excellent Kerbie thanks. So I assume since he was one of your instructors your playing is pretty much the same then? :D

Kerbie 02-27-2019 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB'sox (Post 5991337)
So I assume since he was one of your instructors your playing is pretty much the same then? :D

Absolutely! I can barely tell the difference... :cool:

Good to know so many of you have also been enjoying Doug's music for so long. The first song he taught us in my 2011 class was Mark Hanson's "Key to the Kingdom." When he finished playing the tune, he looked up at us and had this big, ear-to-ear grin on his face. He said that he just couldn't play that tune without smiling. So, ever since, I've thought of it as, "The Smiley Song." Great tune and one of my regulars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fretfile100 (Post 5989980)
We got Pat this year...let's start a campaign to get Doug back.:)

Hey fretfile... I've requested him every year since, but I'll bet he'll be back sometime soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by islandguitar (Post 5990211)
Wasn't he the originator of that arrangement of Stars and Stripes Forever?

I don't know the answer to that, but it seems likely. Both he and Mark Hanson, his frequent playing partner, arrange beautifully. So, I bet one of them did that.

Glad so many of you enjoy Doug's music! Delightful, talented guy. Thanks for listening... :)

HOF dad 02-28-2019 06:49 PM

Great stuff Kerbie!
I've never heard him before - sure have missed out.
Thanks for enlightening me - he's terrific.

Kerbie 03-01-2019 04:59 PM

Good to hear, Dan... glad you like him. Doug won a 2005 Grammy and was the 2006 Winfield International Fingerstyle champion. Here's his website... lots of music to listen to and watch.

Davis Webb 03-05-2019 07:23 PM

Awesome music. Thanks.

jemartin 03-25-2019 08:22 PM

Yes... Doug Smith is a great guitar player. We met him at the Healdsburg Guitar Festival in the 90's. Doug seemed like a very mellow, unassuming kind of guy, and I would expect.. teacher as well. I knew of his song, and like it a lot.. Order of Magnitude, but ironically, I just listened to the other song, A Fine Line...for the first time, a few days ago..! Thanks for posting.....!

Pender 09-01-2019 01:24 PM

Thanks for sharing, Kerbie!
What's the wood combination of the Goodall guitar used by Doug Smith? Cedar and mahogany?

Lilly 09-17-2019 05:54 PM

Doug Smith

He is really good! Love this kind of music.