The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   McKnight Guitars - Olive wood / Redwood siblings (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402354)

Tim McKnight 10-12-2015 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers (Post 4669499)
Olive and old growth Redwood. I'm interested in hearing the results for sure.

Yes indeed, me too.

lizzard 10-12-2015 09:32 AM

Tim,

Nice...

I also dig that you are giving luthier-related insite (e.g.: the sander).

Looking forward to it.

Chris

pdx 10-13-2015 10:11 AM

Cool thread. I recently started an acoustic guitar building class and being a northern californian by birth, the redwoods, and living in Portland Oregon, I decided to do a native guitar too. Iwill be doing a redwood\walnut OM with reclaimed myrtlewood for the neck, with oak and walnut stringers.

Tim McKnight 10-13-2015 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizzard (Post 4673136)
Tim,

Nice...

I also dig that you are giving luthier-related insite (e.g.: the sander).

Looking forward to it.

Chris

Hi Chris,

That is just one aspect of the luthier community that I love. Even though each one of us are competing for segments of the market we also remain quite friendly and most are willing to help each another and share knowledge. Its a friendly and pretty close knit group in case you hadn't noticed?

theEdwinson 10-13-2015 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdx (Post 4674392)
Cool thread. I recently started an acoustic guitar building class and being a northern californian by birth, the redwoods, and living in Portland Oregon, I decided to do a native guitar too. Iwill be doing a redwood\walnut OM with reclaimed myrtlewood for the neck, with oak and walnut stringers.

You're right, this is an inspiring thread. Tim makes guitars with the quality of legend!

I predict you will have great success with your Walnut/Redwood OM. That is a wood combination that just excels. It's one of the best wood combos you can use, for a highly expressive, colorful, full-bodied sound. EXCELLENT for fingerstyle-optimized guitars. I'm not sure what makes it so magical, but it does seem that the sum is greater than the parts. Walnut and Redwood just SING together.
I recently finished a Claro Walnut/Redwood OM-size guitar, and it's one of the best sounding ever. I'm reticent to sell this guitar, because it has re-ignited my love for playing, all over again.
Good luck with your project. Hope you will share it with us here on the Forum!

Tim McKnight 10-13-2015 12:52 PM

Steve,
I agree that Walnut / Redwood combo is a classic combination. I wonder if you or others have experienced this wood combo to sound even better when plugged in? It seems the guitars that I have built with Walnut and Redwood are just even more impressive when amplified. I can't explain it but if you have experienced it you will know what I am trying or failing to convey in words.


PDX,
Good luck on your build and keep us posted of your progress.

Tim McKnight 10-15-2015 07:36 AM

The double sides are bent:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-e...2/IMG_2550.JPG




And out they come:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-A...2/IMG_2556.JPG



Ready for the bonding process to marry the inner and outer sides as one:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-u...2/IMG_2558.JPG



Adhesive is sparingly applied:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-a...2/IMG_2562.JPG



Into the form they go:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-2...2/IMG_2567.JPG




And there they cure for the next 24 hours:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5...2/IMG_2570.JPG

Mary 10-15-2015 07:47 AM

I enjoy re-watching a McGit build from the eyes of others. :)

Eire 10-15-2015 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary (Post 4676659)
I enjoy re-watching a McGit build from the eyes of others. :)

Don't doubt it... but probably not as much as we enjoy watching a McGit build through the camera of Mary. :)

theEdwinson 10-15-2015 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim McKnight (Post 4674597)
Steve,
I agree that Walnut / Redwood combo is a classic combination. I wonder if you or others have experienced this wood combo to sound even better when plugged in? It seems the guitars that I have built with Walnut and Redwood are just even more impressive when amplified. I can't explain it but if you have experienced it you will know what I am trying or failing to convey in words.


PDX,
Good luck on your build and keep us posted of your progress.

Tim, I have not experienced a Walnut/Redwood guitar plugged in yet. But now you've got my curiosity piqued. I wonder why this combination of woods might respond so well. I have a brand new, as yet unsold Walnut/ Redwood 000-size that sounds like a chorus of angels. I think I will get an LR Baggs Lyric and put it in there. Maybe this guitar will be a good stage instrument.
The Lyric, and the K&K Pure Mini are my two favorite pickups. Do you have any particular favorites for amplifying such a guitar?
By the way- First time I've seen you with a mustache. You and Steve Kinnaird could be brothers!

Mary 10-16-2015 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eire (Post 4677123)
Don't doubt it... but probably not as much as we enjoy watching a McGit build through the camera of Mary. :)


:) Thank you, Kurt.

Tim McKnight 10-16-2015 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theEdwinson (Post 4677543)
Tim, I have not experienced a Walnut/Redwood guitar plugged in yet. But now you've got my curiosity piqued. I wonder why this combination of woods might respond so well. I have a brand new, as yet unsold Walnut/ Redwood 000-size that sounds like a chorus of angels. I think I will get an LR Baggs Lyric and put it in there. Maybe this guitar will be a good stage instrument.
The Lyric, and the K&K Pure Mini are my two favorite pickups. Do you have any particular favorites for amplifying such a guitar?
By the way- First time I've seen you with a mustache. You and Steve Kinnaird could be brothers!

K&K PW Mini and Baggs Anthem or Lyric are my favorites as well. K&K for solo or low volume venues and Baggs hardware for LOUD venues because they are less prone to feedback than the K&K in high volume situations.

Steve and I are brothers BTW. We have the same Father but different mothers ;)

Tim McKnight 10-21-2015 06:42 AM

Sides coming out of the mold:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Y...2/IMG_2574.JPG


https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-O...2/IMG_2575.JPG


https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-w...2/IMG_2576.JPG




I cut the inner sides a tad wider than the outer sides and then sand the inner side edges flush with the outer sides. This allows me some forgiveness in case the sides slip a bit during clamping:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-W...2/IMG_2608.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-D...2/IMG_2610.JPG

Tim McKnight 10-27-2015 06:43 AM

Purfling and rosette lams are dry so its time to rip some strips on the cabinet saw:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-y...2/IMG_2583.JPG





Curly Walnut bindings with Ash and Ebony trim:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-O...2/IMG_2584.JPG





Ripping the rosette purflings:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_...2/IMG_2586.JPG





Rosette purflings of Curly Walnut with Ash and Ebony:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-y...2/IMG_2587.JPG





Routed channels in the Olive wood rosette are ready to accept the purfling rings:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-w...2/IMG_2589.JPG

cotten 10-27-2015 07:05 AM

Love your work, Tim, and am especially excited to watch the gestation of this guitar. Thanks, Mary, for the visual updates!

cotten


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=