The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Here’s to Koa...a most under appreciated tone wood (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515874)

Slothead56 07-10-2018 10:19 AM

Here’s to Koa...a most under appreciated tone wood

I pretty much only play my OM 21 or my big ole Jumbo Gurian anymore. But I broke out my OM 42 with Koa back and sides yesterday for the first time in a long time and what a delight. A little less thumpy than rosewood, a little more ummph than mahogany. And beautiful to look at.

So here’s a salute to this uniquely harvested tonewood from the beautiful Hawaiian islands!!

Neil K Walk 07-10-2018 10:37 AM

I wouldn't call koa as being underrated. I consider it to be "rare" and the price reflects it. For me, black walnut is underrated because it's considered to be more plentiful yet also produces a pleasing tone and can be found with some figuring that I find as visually beautiful as koa.

As for tone, that's personal preference. Personally, I'm not wowed by koa. I once played a Martin OMC-15E Koa and found its bass to be "restrained" compared to rosewood and the trebles not nearly as "warm" sounding as mahogany.

Rosewood99 07-10-2018 11:25 AM

I love my All Koa 12 string!

Parlorman 07-10-2018 12:28 PM

I love my Froggy Bottom L Deluxe with Koa body. It compares VERY favorably with some of my other parlors with fabulous Brazilian RW bodies.

zmf 07-10-2018 12:37 PM

I know you're just enjoying your OM-42, but I'm surprised that you think of koa as underrated.

However, this does bring up the interesting question of what are the top five most commonly used and "highly rated" (whatever that means) tonewoods used for guitar back and sides?

You'd have to put rosewood and mahogany on top, but koa might be in there, along with -- what -- maple and walnut?

Bet there would be a range of opinions on the top five.

SprintBob 07-10-2018 12:44 PM

The other thing to keep in mind is that a koa guitar needs time to open up so the tone can be "subdued" when new. I was pretty happy with my Taylor K-22 when I got it last year. It was just not as loud and responsive as my other guitars but it's opened up a bit improving in both areas and it will only get better with more playing time. It's very balanced which makes for a sweet sounding guitar.

wickedwahine 07-10-2018 12:51 PM

I agree, I adore koa, though I find many people disagree with me. I will admit though that part of my love comes from it being Hawaiian. I have three custom koa ukuleles and my family’s ashes are scattered in Hawaii. So I feel a deep sentimental bond to my koa guitar that transcends its sound, though I like that as well.

drplayer 07-10-2018 12:56 PM

I'm a big fan of Koa...good Koa. The problem with it, is that it can be all over the place; but that said, when a builder knows and understands Koa, I find it glorious sounding! I've sold off all my guitars but a few to pursue a build with Michael Greenfield, and that guitar will be Koa because Michael knows Koa...can't wait!

fitness1 07-10-2018 01:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
My Koa twins keep me smiling pretty big!;)

RussL30 07-10-2018 01:18 PM

I’ve always wondered if Koa is either really variable or if you need a really good piece to get good results. I’ve owned one koa guitar and it didn’t last long. It was a Taylor 400 series limited, so the koa may have been low quality to be on a 400. That is the only Taylor I’ve owned of about 10 that have passed through my hands, that was super bright and sterile and had absolutely no character.

I’ve heard clips of koa guitars that sound great so I’m going to write my experience with as a one off for a guitar that just didn’t have it.

jim1960 07-10-2018 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slothead56 (Post 5780365)
Here’s to Koa...a most under rated tone wood

Underrated? Where did you get that idea?

383roller 07-10-2018 01:26 PM

Koa has a very rich mid range overall, that's not my tonal opinion but it's a fact. my opinion is its unmatched in its uniqueness.
How it's presented in the build determines projection potential.
Everyone should experience a good Koa guitar.
http://i65.tinypic.com/2gxis8h.jpg

Slothead56 07-10-2018 02:04 PM

OP here. Wow...getting called out for calling Koa underated. Perhaps I should clarify.
In my opinion Koa is a misunderstood wood in the broader guitar world that focuses (in my opinion) on rosewood and mahogany. My opinion is that Koa, since it doesn’t have a very broad and deep representation in the guitar world is not appreciated by the masses because they don’t get to hear it/see it.

Of course, that’s just my opinion

vindibona1 07-10-2018 02:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a very special Alrvarez Yairi with cedar top and Koa back and sides. With the right fresh strings it is amazing.

ifret 07-10-2018 04:41 PM

I'm a big koa fan. My K24ce has a beautiful tone that gets better the more I play it.