The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (
-   Build and Repair (
-   -   inlay filler (

hat 06-12-2019 11:25 AM

inlay filler
What is the standard filler that is used around fretboard inlays? I normally use epoxy mixed with either black patternmakers dye, or wood dust from whatever wood the board is. This is after I superglue the inlays into place, so they are aligned correctly and don't shift when I use the filler.

JonWint 06-12-2019 11:31 AM

tinted CA is convenient and fast (if accelerated)

Quickstep192 06-12-2019 02:22 PM

I think the best looking is ebony dust and CA.

I pack the gap with ebony dust and then wet it with thin CA. Don't use accelerator because it can make the CA turn hazy. I think the texture of the ebony dust makes it blend nicely with the surrounding wood.

redir 06-12-2019 02:51 PM

I just use black CA to fill ebony and even rosewood if it's a minor fill. Otherwise I sand up a slurry of dust on the board, drop in CA then fit the dust in with it and fill again as needed. It's pretty typical to use epoxy though and the 5-minute stuff is fine for that kind of thing.

I've always disliked accelerator too because of what Quick said but recently I started using Glueboost and their accelerator works really quite well.

mirwa 06-12-2019 05:45 PM

Nothing, i make my inlays 0.15mm undersize the pocket, they are then a drop fit

If i had a need to fill, i would mix ca with wood dust


JDaniel 06-12-2019 07:15 PM

On ebony I use Stewmac medium black CA and their accelerator. Gaps are generally small and it's very hard to detect the fill. Never been happy with ebony dust.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, The Acoustic Guitar Forum

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=