The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   NGD (Resophonic) (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250341)

rockabilly69 05-04-2012 06:20 AM

NGD (Resophonic)

Here's my new custom artist build from National. It's a M2 with a gloss finish,
ebony fingerboard, slightly distrissed coverplate, and their new magnetic pickup...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...9/P1020009.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...9/P1020008.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...9/P1020006.jpg

StillStephen 05-04-2012 07:57 AM

Very cool! Really like the burst on this one.

rockabilly69 05-04-2012 12:32 PM

I like it too, thanks:)

Taylorplayer 05-04-2012 01:24 PM

Wow -- that one is "through the roof" beautiful!

Teleplucker 05-04-2012 01:24 PM

Tell us about the pickup. Cool guitar!

rockabilly69 05-04-2012 03:21 PM

The pickup is the new National magnetic thinline. I'm was going to put another Flatbucker on this one, but Don (National President) told me that these new pickups were great so I told him I'd give it a try. Tonight is my first gig with the M2 and I will also bring my Triolian out to compare it with. Here's the two of them. My Triolian is Flatbucker and Highlander equipped. I had the M2 built to bridge the gap between my acoustic guitars and my metal bodied Nationals. I also have a Polychrome Tricone, and a spider cone Western D which are both Highlander equipped. The M2 was built strictly for a gig that I play 3 times a week where I wanted a softer more all around sound with just a touch of the resonator. The Triolian is an *** kicking blues bucket but can get too aggressive for this gig. To be honest I love all of my National guitars for what they each bring to the table!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...mNationals.jpg

Neal 05-04-2012 07:22 PM

Beautiful M-2. Have both the Flatbucker and the Slimline. 2 National slimlines, 1 Flatbucker. As nice as the Flatbucker is, it's a chunk more expensive, and I'd be curious as to your comparison. Love the National pickups, btw.

My Flatbucker is on an Estralita, and the Slimlines are on an Estralita 12 string and an M-1 12 string.

Teleplucker 05-04-2012 09:04 PM

I have a resorocket with the pickup built into the biscuit bridge, it sounds OK but I would like to explore other options. Let us know how the new pickup does on your gig. Also what kind of setup you are using to amplify your nationals.

Thanks

rockabilly69 05-05-2012 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal (Post 3029917)
Beautiful M-2. Have both the Flatbucker and the Slimline. 2 National slimlines, 1 Flatbucker. As nice as the Flatbucker is, it's a chunk more expensive, and I'd be curious as to your comparison. Love the National pickups, btw.

My Flatbucker is on an Estralita, and the Slimlines are on an Estralita 12 string and an M-1 12 string.

Unless you recently acquired your Slimlines this is a different pickup. The original thinlines were made by LACE, this one is made by Villex. The output on these is less hot than the LACE and sounds considerably different. It's closer in sound to the Flatbucker as it hears the difference in the type of guitar that it is put on, unlike the Lace which sounded way more "magnetic" to me. I was having a hard time listening to the pickup as the place I was playing in had a lot of conversations going on (party), but I will give it a few gigs before I make the call on it. So far so good is the best I can say.

As for amplification I'm plugging straight into an Allen And Heath Zed10FX, and that goes to Mackie HD1221 cabs and a matching HD 1501 sub for big rooms. For problem (ie bad sounding) rooms I use a DTar Equinox EQ before the ZED. No effects other than the reverb on the ZED. I have used tons of external preamps, but the preamps in Allen Heath mixers are ridiculously good, and the sweepable mids work fine in most instances. I find less outboard gear and more attention to what and how I play works better for me.

Dan

Neal 05-05-2012 05:54 AM

One is a Villex, National installed it when the 12 string single cone went for a new cone just last year. The M-1 12 string might be a Lace, it was installed 2 years ago. but I can tell no real difference in any, perhaps due to the string configuration, cones, etc.. They all sound great to me.

Dru Edwards 05-05-2012 07:15 AM

Congrats!!! How long did it take for the custom to get built?

rockabilly69 05-05-2012 11:15 AM

Dru, the process was started on Feb 22. I was amazed at how fast National knocked it out.

Neal, I didn't know when they started with Villex, I just remember that National had a long wait time with the Lace mfd pickups and the next thing you know they had a new supplier, Villex. I bought one of the LACE slimlines for my tricone but it didn't fit that guitar (not enough string clearance), so I sold it to a buddy who used it on his Johnson tricone. I think it sounded fine. But the Villex seems like it has less output and it has way less than the Flatbucker. I had the gain pot on my ZED mixer about one third higher for the Villex to get the same volume as the Flatbucker. The Villex is very quiet, and the tone is good, but I think the string balance is not as balanced as I would like. When the bronze strings wear down, I'm going to put Messer nickle strings on in the same gauge to see if it helps with better balance/tone. But I will say that the Villex works better with bronze strings than the Flatbucker! I like having Bronze strings on the M2 for it's acoustic tone, but for gigging I usually prefer the nickel because they work so well with the pickups.

Teleplucker - I will give a detailed report when I swap strings on the M2!

8daypsalmist 05-05-2012 12:30 PM

Both of your Nationals are stunningly beautiful!

I am currently saving up for one myself. I played a Black Rust NRP at Acoustic Vibes and I was smitten :) I had a Style O about 10 years ago - loved the sound but never cared for the weight or the "shiney".

Peace,

James

rockabilly69 05-05-2012 02:23 PM

James,

The Black Rust NRP is a pretty heavy guitar if it weighs anything like my Triolian, but The M2 is featherweight! Although my M2 is no substitute for a metal body, it still has a great reso tone and it really is a pleasure to play:) Mine is set up for fingerstyle with a compensated bridge and slightly lighter strings.

I'm not a fan of shiney guitars either! I remember performing with a Johnson chrome-bodied brass resonator in a darkened theater and I hated when it would shine in peoples faces. It was that Johnson though that got me into playing Nationals. I had it renecked, and replaced both the cone and the biscuit. It turned out to be a fantastic instrument that I still own and use to record with, but it's like a toy compared to the build feel of the Nationals!

Dan