The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   A foray into the 500 series world. (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540383)

jim1960 03-08-2019 03:01 PM

A foray into the 500 series world.

So this happened today...
A CAPI 11 space 500 rack and a pair of Neve 542 tape emulators.

https://i.imgur.com/UTe2EDG.jpg?1

KevWind 03-08-2019 04:50 PM

I had already acquired a good 2 channel Mic Pre by the time 500 really kicked into the pro audio world .. I still have it and love it and now have added a good 2 channel hardware reverb and 2 channel tube Mastering compressor for my 2 Bus. So I have never used any 500 unites.

That said:However
I always thought 500 seemed like a great option especially if someone is looking for multiple flavors.
Am I correct in thinking most 500 units are single channel ? I know a couple guys that swear by A Designs 500 series

jim1960 03-08-2019 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevWind (Post 6001042)
I had already acquired a good 2 channel Mic Pre by the time 500 really kicked into the pro audio world .. I still have it and love it and now have added a good 2 channel hardware reverb and 2 channel tube Mastering compressor for my 2 Bus. So I have never used any 500 unites.

I'm in the same boat. I don't really NEED this so much as I WANT this. I'm not even sure what I want to put in those empty slots and I'm in no hurry to fill them. I'd like to get a two-bus compressor at some point.. just not sure what I really want. I'm also hoping someone does a decent Curve Bender clone. I mentioned it to the owner of Audio-Scape and he seemed a bit intrigued by the idea, so fingers crossed.

Quote:

That said:However
I always thought 500 seemed like a great option especially if someone is looking for multiple flavors.
Am I correct in thinking most 500 units are single channel ? I know a couple guys that swear by A Designs 500 series

Yes, I think they're all single channel. The A-Designs Pacifica was a pre I wanted for a long time, so I wouldn't mind checking out the P1. But I'm trying to resist filling this rack up with pres as I already have four outboard two-channel units.

Getting this rack simply gives me more options down the road.

gwlee7 03-08-2019 09:16 PM

Must not read this thread. Must not read this thread. :lol::roll:

hazmuz 03-08-2019 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwlee7 (Post 6001251)
Must not read this thread. Must not read this thread. :lol::roll:

same here, same here ... :ha:

jim1960 03-09-2019 01:23 AM

The water is fine. It really is.

Brent Hahn 03-09-2019 08:46 AM

I'm a pro engineer who (being old) started out old-school and got into the 500 stuff maybe 10 years ago. I recommend it highly and will probably never buy non-500 hardware ever again if possible. The CAPI brand (see OP) is a very good one, and their main thing is API-inspired 500 gear in kit form. Great stuff, and they've also done us all the favor of instilling the Fear of God in the actual API company, whose own gear has only gotten better and better.

jim1960 03-09-2019 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Hahn (Post 6001564)
I'm a pro engineer who (being old) started out old-school and got into the 500 stuff maybe 10 years ago. I recommend it highly and will probably never buy non-500 hardware ever again if possible. The CAPI brand (see OP) is a very good one, and their main thing is API-inspired 500 gear in kit form. Great stuff, and they've also done us all the favor of instilling the Fear of God in the actual API company, whose own gear has only gotten better and better.

CAPI is a recent discovery for me. The 500 thing is something I could have pulled the trigger on years ago but I could never make a decision on which rack to buy. I'd read up on the usual suspects and find complaints about one thing or another and it would put me off that unit. I'd been reading quite a bit on the brand in general lately and I wasn't able to find any serious complaints about this CAPI rack so the idea of jumping into the 500 stuff started bouncing around my brain again.

Putting that kit together didn't seem like a fun project to me. I got into a conversation with a guy on another forum who assembles DIY kits and sells them on Reverb. It's a small forum but we're both fairly active there and he gave me a nice price for the assembly.

Brent Hahn 03-09-2019 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim1960 (Post 6001603)
CAPI is a recent discovery for me...

Don't know about the CAPI rack, but their other stuff seems great. Mine's a first-generation API. It's fine but it doesn't have a db25 connector on the back, which is handy for using with one of THESE if you haul your rack around to other studios.

jim1960 03-09-2019 03:56 PM

I remember back in the day that there were complaints about some 500 modules not working in certain racks and some racks being under-powered. Reading it all made taking the leap feel like a bit of a crap-shoot. Then there was the expense of the initial leap which also made me reluctant. I was able to jump in at a reasonable price point with the CAPI and the Neve 542 pair ...and I've been curious about the 542 and that's probably what made me finally order the rack more than anything else. Right after I ordered the rack, I found someone selling a used pair of 542s on Reverb and I made an offer that he accepted.

jim1960 03-11-2019 09:54 AM

Quote:

Am I correct in thinking most 500 units are single channel?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim1960 (Post 6001087)
Yes, I think they're all single channel.

I have to correct myself. As I'm delving deeper into the 500 offerings, there are some two channel units. The SSL G Compressor and Elysia karacter are two that I've run across. There are probably others.

jim1960 04-10-2019 03:11 PM

I recently added an elysia xfilter stereo eq to the new 500 rack.
I also bought the Kush Clariphonic MS parallel eq. Kush has b-stocks they're selling for $1300 as opposed to $2k retail. I looked mine over. No idea why it's a b-stock.

That dbx preamp is not a preamp I use. It's something I bought to test the 500 rack. When I installed those used Neves in it and used it the first time, it lost power and I had no idea why. It could have been the Neves were bad, or the rack was assembled incorrectly by the third-party assembler I used, or the psu was bad. I didn't want to fry the Neves if they were okay, so I picked up that dbx for about $100. If I'm going to fry a unit, let it be a cheap one. Anyway, turned out it was a bad psu. All is good now.

https://i.imgur.com/P2kj21N.jpg?1

KevWind 04-10-2019 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim1960 (Post 6032808)
I recently added an elysia xfilter stereo eq to the new 500 rack.
I also bought the Kush Clariphonic MS parallel eq. Kush has b-stocks they're selling for $1300 as opposed to $2k retail. I looked mine over. No idea why it's a b-stock.

That dbx preamp is not a preamp I use. It's something I bought to test the 500 rack. When I installed those used Neves in it and used it the first time, it lost power and I had no idea why. It could have been the Neves were bad, or the rack was assembled incorrectly by the third-party assembler I used, or the psu was bad. I didn't want to fry the Neves if they were okay, so I picked up that dbx for about $100. If I'm going to fry a unit, let it be a cheap one. Anyway, turned out it was a bad psu. All is good now.

[IMG]

Hey glad you got it working OK.... I have never heard it but UBK has a great rep. The Audioscape is their take on an LA2A ?

Andy Howell 04-10-2019 03:48 PM

There are two channel 500 units out there - sometimes take two spaces in the rack!

KevWind 04-10-2019 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Howell (Post 6032852)
There are two channel 500 units out there - sometimes take two spaces in the rack!

Yep looks like his Elysia is stereo and double space