The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Acoustic Amps again (fender, crate, SWR etc) (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2356)

rsimper 06-12-2001 04:57 PM

Acoustic Amps again (fender, crate, SWR etc)

OK- now after searching more heres what im looking at and the prices i can get them for-thoughts on value/features/sound etc..thanks

Fender acoustasonic SFX - 570
Fender acoustasonic Junior - 335
SWR strawberry blonde - 475
Crate CA60D - 500

Thoughts on any of these? I wasnt able to play an ultrasound anywhere...

ryan

Bill Nichols (CaptBill) 06-12-2001 05:45 PM

Hi Ryan,
I have found the fender acoustasonic to be very good and the strawberry blonde very good as well. As far as the crate I have found that all of their amplifiers tend to live up to their name, as an amp they make a good crate or perhaps an end table maybe even a step stool but not an amp.
I think that the Strawberry Blonde will most likely give the best acoustic sound overall and is less $ than the Fender acoustasonic SFX. I went with the SFX becuse it was a good very clean sound with a few extra features that I wanted.

GordonHLau 06-12-2001 06:02 PM

Hi Ryan,

I'm not sure where in SoCal you are but, The Guitar Shoppe in Laguna Beach, CA carries the Ultrasound line along with the other amps you mention (not sure about the Crates). It's a great shop. I would highly recommend going down there with your Taylor and test all the amps side by side to hear which one you like. Sound is so subjective so let your ears be the judge.

If you live closer to Santa Monica, Guitar Traditions (310)393-4420 also carry the Ultrasound line. I've never been there but many big time artists have their guitars worked on there (Tracy Chapman, Andy Summers, Jackson Browne, etc.). Their web site is http://www.guitartraditions.com

GL

chrisc 06-12-2001 06:32 PM

had a fender acoustasonic sfx, sold it because it sounded electric-y and the effects really highkighted the electric sound. it also took 4 men on steroids to carry it. between the 2 i would take acoustasonic jr. i now have a swr cal bl. it is the best sounding acoustic amp i have heard. i agree with the other forum member by saying crate amps sound best when not plugged in. i have not heard the straw blonde but if it is anything like its big brother i would go for that

KyCabnetMkr 06-13-2001 11:08 PM

crate and peavey are best unplugged! ultrasound is an amp i haven't heard personally, but what i have heard personally were fishman acoustic performers, roland ac-100s, strawberry blondes, and fender acoustic amps.....ew. the fishman acoustic performer pro is really expensive. cheapest i've seen 'em go for lately is around $700 used. seen 'em as high as $1200. i don't think fishman is making them anymore...something about parts not being available?? i know roland has an excellent amplifier, but it's heavy! if i could afford to purchase a roland for studio only use, i'd be all about it. they're awesome, for gigging, or studio use. check out ebay!

ira duncan

trombone 06-16-2001 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by cc:
<STRONG>had a fender acoustasonic sfx, sold it because it sounded electric-y and the effects really highkighted the electric sound. it also took 4 men on steroids to carry it. between the 2 i would take acoustasonic jr. i now have a swr cal bl. it is the best sounding acoustic amp i have heard. i agree with the other forum member by saying crate amps sound best when not plugged in. </STRONG>
I agree with the steriods statement! Around here I am the official amp mover, and at 63 lbs., you gotta pre-plan where you're going to move the SFX. Recently we played one of the Jr's. and it sounded really nice, especially for the size. Would have bought it -- if we didn't have so many amps already. We have a Blonde, too, and it is surprisingly nice. It's also one of the first ones I recommend when asked. Likewise, the Crate makes a good boat anchor or expensive coffee table. Wish I knew then what I know now.....

J.R. Rogers 06-18-2001 02:01 PM

Ummm.. I guess I'm gonna be the Devil's advocate here. :) Those amps sound nice compared to what? Do they sound like your guitar only louder? I think not. The acoustic amps I've owned include:
SWR CA Blonde
Fender Acoustasonic Jr.
Fender Acoustasonic SFX

I've played through and heard many others. I've never been terribly impressed by any of the consumer-grade acoustic amplification, and I'm by no means an "audiophile" or "acoustic purist", etc. I've just always been under the impression that acoustic amplification should re-create the acoustic sound of the guitar as accurately as possible. None of the amps mentioned above come close. All of them cut corners to achieve a price/performance balance, and offer the most features while still leaving room for the company to pocket a nice profit. Forget the combo amps for a second.

Acoustic amplification should sound like your guitar, only louder. To do this, you're going to need to piece together your own system, short of buying the Rivera Sedona. (I've never played this amp, but Doyle sounds great on it.) What you need is a VERY high quality preamp designed for acoustic guitars, a high quality super-low-noise power amp, and the best speakers you can buy.

I use a system built by Daedalus: www.daedalusmusic.com - while this isn't the cheapest system in the world, it sounds incredible - like sticking your ears inside your guitar. My system consists of a Rane AP-13 acoustic preamp, Hafler P3000 Power Amp, and Two Daedalus S-81 speakers. I've you've ever heard a system like this, it would be difficult to go back to a Fender, Crate, or SWR product. (while I will admit that the SWR CA Blonde was considerably better sounding and had the most practical features.)

For some interesting reading on the subject, go here: http://www.daedalusmusic.com/

Just my humble opinion... Well, not so humble. :) Why play your $2000+ Taylor guitars through $300 consumer-grade equipment? Comments appreciated. I'd like to hear from someone else using a component acoustic amplification system.

J.R.

Wanker 06-18-2001 02:16 PM

As far as the Crate I'd step up to the CA125D. Lot's better amp. The CA60D I played sounded a little cheap, IMHO.

sleepwkr 07-03-2001 09:31 AM

I use the Acousonics Jr. too. I think you are right in the sense that none of the above really reproduce the acoustic correctly, but in context of a live band, this is a tool that will give you an acoustic sound. By itself, you can easily tell the difference when A/B'ing the guitar alone and with the amp.

I just saw Richard Thompson for the second time in a year at a small theater seating several hundred. The first time, he had a band and it was a mixed electric/acoustical gig with drums. This last time, it was just him playing through a sound system. One of the best amplified acoustic sounds I've ever heard. Of course, this quality didn't come cheap!

jdpresto 07-03-2001 01:54 PM

If the Crate CA60 is anything like the CA30, I would save your money. It sure didn't sound like an acoustic amp to me. Had to throw it up on eBay because I was so dissapointed. Since then a SWR Strawberry Blonde has taken it's place. GREAT AMP! No complaints about it. None.