The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   LISTEN (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Dylan's greatest song? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540562)

bluesfreek 03-10-2019 09:20 AM

Dylan's greatest song?

In his book Chronicles Dylan mentions that he feels that this song is the pinnacle of his songwriting and in fact has never written anything close since. While I am not going to doubt his opinion I do have to agree that is truly one of his best.

This has always been my favorite version from the "Before The Flood" album. When I heard it as a teenager in the 70's it basically made me want to play the guitar.

6L6 03-10-2019 09:24 AM

To me, "Blowin' in the Wind" is the greatest song ever written followed closely by Phil Ochs' "There but for Fortune".

bluesfreek 03-10-2019 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6L6 (Post 6002558)
To me, "Blowin' in the Wind" is the greatest song ever written followed closely by Phil Ochs' "There but for Fortune".

Indeed both brilliant songs! :up:

Hoyt 03-10-2019 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6L6 (Post 6002558)

Agree on "Blowin' In the Wind." It covers so much that was important at the time. Not sure anyone has ever played/sung it poorly.

bellmaster 03-10-2019 02:37 PM

Like a Rolling Stone, Times They are Achangin, All Along the Watchtower, Maggie’s Farm, on & on ....
The cool thing about Dylan is that so many of his great songs sound good with one guitar & one voice. Plus, they can be played in many different styles. I mainly play fingerstyle. About half of the songs I cover are Dylan Songs.

KenL 03-13-2019 09:52 AM

I would agree with "Blowin' in the Wind" as Dylan's best. Personally, I like "Girl From the North Country".

The greatest lyric of the '60s: "I gave her my heart but she wanted my soul, but don't think twice, it's alright." Great line.

VTexan 03-13-2019 10:46 AM

All good selections

...but my personal favorite is Highway 61 Revisited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hr3Stnk8_k

Lkristians 03-14-2019 06:29 PM

Best Dylan IMO

Tangled Up in Blue, from his Blood on the Tracks album.

raysachs 03-14-2019 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lkristians (Post 6007222)
Tangled Up in Blue, from his Blood on the Tracks album.

If I had to pick one I'd probably pick this one too, but picking ONE SINGLE greatest song of Dylan's is a fool's errand. It's like picking one riff from Keith Richards or one funny moment from Robin Williams' whole career or Michael Jordan's greatest clutch shot. Part of what makes people like that as great as they are is how prolifically great they are. Hence, there is no one greatest.

-Ray

Shaneh 03-14-2019 09:15 PM

I am going to have to go with Desolation Row for best. Man those lyrics are are amazing and I can’t imagine where all that came from in his mind. Nothing comes close for me.

jim1960 03-15-2019 01:11 AM

I don't know how to pick Dylan's best song. Picking his best album is easy enough ...Blood on the Tracks... but too many of his songs mean different things to me in my life.

Blowin' in the Wind
was a great inspiration to me.
The Times They are A-Changin' was an anthem to a generation.
All I Really Want to Do was the song my friends and I would sing to pretty girls on the streets of Woodstock in the late 70s as we drove by with the top down.
I've no idea how to pick one Dylan song and say that was his best.

bluesfreek 03-15-2019 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim1960 (Post 6007418)
I don't know how to pick Dylan's best song. Picking his best album is easy enough ...Blood on the Tracks... but too many of his songs mean different things to me in my life.

Blowin' in the Wind
was a great inspiration to me.
The Times They are A-Changin' was an anthem to a generation.
All I Really Want to Do was the song my friends and I would sing to pretty girls on the streets of Woodstock in the late 70s as we drove by with the top down.
I've no idea how to pick one Dylan song and say that was his best.

I agree about Blood On The Tracks. That and Desire came out around the same time I started to play acoustic guitar and a school friend's older brother (who also played guitar) had those albums. That's how I first heard them.

sportycliff 03-15-2019 04:30 AM

I'm kinda partial to The Band's version of "I shall be Released".

slooky 03-17-2019 07:16 AM

Cross The Green Mountain

bluesfreek 03-17-2019 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportycliff (Post 6007467)
I'm kinda partial to The Band's version of "I shall be Released".

Indeed.:up: The definitive version in my opinion.