The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classical (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Cordoba C5 vs C7 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551998)

Mike Sylvia 07-14-2019 08:46 AM

Cordoba C5 vs C7

I'm considering getting a C5 or C7 and wonder if there is a big enough difference to warrant the extra cost? This would be my first classical guitar. Any other recommendations would be appreciated as well.

harpon 07-14-2019 07:37 PM

I'm not sure what the extra cost is these days- I can tell you for certain that the rosewood back and sides gives a kind of softer sound than the mahogany, but as far as I'm concerned it's largely a matter of taste.

Six or seven years go, I went to Guitar Center with the intent of purchasing a Cordoba C5 on sale. I left with a Manuel Rodriguez with rosewood back and sides for the same cost, even without a truss rod then and although I even like the appearance of mahogany over rosewood.

It simply sounded better to me.

Subsequently through the years I noticed that the body of the Rodriguez was just a little bit diminutive, in fact it matches almost exactly the dimensions of a Cordoba 7/8 Dolce and now an Estudio 7/8 as well. I also finally got a Cordoba C5 too, and then saw that the body was slightly larger than the Rodriguez, and have the feeling that the C-5- with the original strings- Savarez Cristal Corum- and discussed in another thread here now- has a larger booming bass that maybe drowns out the trebles a bit. It's not that considerable but I don't often play the C-5 and it still has the original strings that came on it when I got it for half price new with the bridge saddle lifted off. I glued that back on and it's been fine for 2 or 3 years now.

You might consider BOTH- a C-5 is maybe the most prolific guitar on the used market- they apparently sold many of them and they are easy to find at considerable savings- at Guitar Center for instance where you can return it to a nearby store if there's a problem .

As far as a cutaway with electrics- a C5 is a good choice because it already has a big soundbox before the cut away and electrics are added.

Mike Sylvia 07-15-2019 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harpon (Post 6111738)
I'm not sure what the extra cost is these days- I can tell you for certain that the rosewood back and sides gives a kind of softer sound than the mahogany, but as far as I'm concerned it's largely a matter of taste.

Six or seven years go, I went to Guitar Center with the intent of purchasing a Cordoba C5 on sale. I left with a Manuel Rodriguez with rosewood back and sides for the same cost, even without a truss rod then and although I even like the appearance of mahogany over rosewood.

It simply sounded better to me.

Subsequently through the years I noticed that the body of the Rodriguez was just a little bit diminutive, in fact it matches almost exactly the dimensions of a Cordoba 7/8 Dolce and now an Estudio 7/8 as well. I also finally got a Cordoba C5 too, and then saw that the body was slightly larger than the Rodriguez, and have the feeling that the C-5- with the original strings- Savarez Cristal Corum- and discussed in another thread here now- has a larger booming bass that maybe drowns out the trebles a bit. It's not that considerable but I don't often play the C-5 and it still has the original strings that came on it when I got it for half price new with the bridge saddle lifted off. I glued that back on and it's been fine for 2 or 3 years now.

You might consider BOTH- a C-5 is maybe the most prolific guitar on the used market- they apparently sold many of them and they are easy to find at considerable savings- at Guitar Center for instance where you can return it to a nearby store if there's a problem .

As far as a cutaway with electrics- a C5 is a good choice because it already has a big soundbox before the cut away and electrics are added.

Thank yo very much for all your time. I really appreciate it.

dkstott 07-15-2019 05:50 AM

I tend to like the C-7 a little better just because of a few minor differences between the two.

But for the price, I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.

FWIW- the big box stores don't do a good job at all of maintaining their classical guitars. Their warehouses are too dry for them as well.

I'd suggest that whatever you purchase, take it to a reliable guitar person and have them do an inspection & set-up on the guitar.

Dave

Mike Sylvia 07-15-2019 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkstott (Post 6111912)
I tend to like the C-7 a little better just because of a few minor differences between the two.

But for the price, I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.

FWIW- the big box stores don't do a good job at all of maintaining their classical guitars. Their warehouses are too dry for them as well.

I'd suggest that whatever you purchase, take it to a reliable guitar person and have them do an inspection & set-up on the guitar.

Dave

When you say "Big Box Stores" do you mean GC? Also, do they treat classical guitars differently than other guitars, or do you mean that Classical guitars need to be treated differently ?

dkstott 07-15-2019 08:44 AM

Yep. Big box = GC, MF and others. Because nylon string guitars represent a very small percentage of their sales. The guitars tend to be ignored. They'll typically be found right next to the door entrance to the acoustic rooms. Exposing them to frequent changes in temperature and humidity.

Quite a few of the workers have no clue how to change strings on them, so you'll find old strings on those guitars as well.

Dave

Mike Sylvia 07-15-2019 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkstott (Post 6112058)
Yep. Big box = GC, MF and others. Because nylon string guitars represent a very small percentage of their sales. The guitars tend to be ignored. They'll typically be found right next to the door entrance to the acoustic rooms. Exposing them to frequent changes in temperature and humidity.

Quite a few of the workers have no clue how to change strings on them, so you'll find old strings on those guitars as well.

Dave

Thank you. Any suggestions on where to look/purchase?

Beanctr 07-15-2019 09:19 AM

C-7. You can often find used or repaired models for a significant discount on the bay. The C-7 is a very nice looking and sounding guitar. Its a great beginning or backup classical. Rick

Gitaman 07-15-2019 10:17 AM

Check out Craigslist sf. I will be visiting Thursday because I live nearby and playing golf close to the store Thursday. This vendor has a bunch of Cordovas way below market.

donwarren 07-16-2019 06:49 AM

If you can spend the extra money, there is a huge leap in quality in the C9 and C10 models. Then you will have a quality instrument you can play and enjoy for years to come.

Biscuitninja 07-26-2019 02:36 PM

I was supposed to originally go with a C5 from my beginner cp100, but I straight along the way and purchased a C10. I can say that I am very happy with this purchase.

DJ in FL 08-25-2019 10:47 AM

Craigslist is good when it works well, but so many opportunities for a deal to go wrong, or worse have need to involve POLICE.

Be careful...used as much video as you can; sound clips (although all that can be fixed). Check references, could be YOUR $$$ getting shammed.

CG is good when it is good...local visits