The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What're some of the songs you are focusing on learning most right now? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612757)

LeDave 04-13-2021 11:56 AM

What're some of the songs you are focusing on learning most right now?

Right now, only two.

Let It Be - The Beatles
(Hard because of the F chord).

Let Her Cry - Hootie & The Blowfish
(Challenging because it's my first song to learn that utilizes more than 4 chords).

JayBee1404 04-13-2021 12:03 PM

‘Grand Central Station’ (Mary Chapin Carpenter) in EADGBC
‘Wisteria’ (Richard Shindell) in DADGAD

TBman 04-13-2021 12:09 PM

The Handing Down by Ed Gerhard, Citi Na Gcumann and Si Bheag Si Mor, both arrangements by Stephen Wake.

Rosewood99 04-13-2021 12:14 PM

Led Zeppelin going to California (DADGAD). Been taking me a long time to get the patterns down.

LeftyKev 04-13-2021 12:19 PM

some Irish folk stuff at the moment.

reeve21 04-13-2021 12:28 PM

Sunburst Rag (James Scott, arr. Alan Jaffe).
McGuire's Landing (Pete Huttlinger).

These are fingerstyle instrumentals. Both are stretching my comfort level (not to mention my left hand) and will take several months at a minimum to get to a level worth recording. Coming to terms with that was a bit discouraging at first, but once you accept that it just isn't going to come easy the small victories keep the motivation up.

I always try to keep a simple vocal tune or 2 under development for fun. Just started in on New Minglewood Blues (Noah Lewis, arr. Grateful Dead). One riff, 4 chords :)

egordon99 04-13-2021 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayBee1404 (Post 6689637)
‘Grand Central Station’ (Mary Chapin Carpenter) in EADGBC
‘Wisteria’ (Richard Shindell) in DADGAD

Two great songs! I play Wisteria often. Richard has lots of beautiful songs in that tuning.

dhockenbury 04-13-2021 12:30 PM

Working on River by Al Petteway in Open G tuning.

JayBee1404 04-13-2021 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egordon99 (Post 6689668)
Two great songs! I play Wisteria often. Richard has lots of beautiful songs in that tuning.

He certainly does! I do Reunion Hill, and Next Best Western segué-ing into The Kenworth of my Dreams, all in DADGAD. I also do Your Guitar in EADGBE.

Ol’ Richard knows how to write a song!

egordon99 04-13-2021 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayBee1404 (Post 6689690)
He certainly does! I do Reunion Hill, and Next Best Western segué-ing into The Kenworth of my Dreams, all in DADGAD. I also do Your Guitar in EADGBE.

Ol’ Richard knows how to write a song!

Hard to go wrong with that set list.

Strange Richard experience a few weeks ago. We were driving on the DC Beltway and the traffic was moving along fine while we were listening to Richard on shuffle. All of a sudden, Transit comes on and the traffic slows down due to someone (not a nun) changing their tire on the shoulder. True story!

Back on topic, I have been working on an acoustic guitar version of "The Whole of the Moon" by the Waterboys.

Guilty Spark 04-13-2021 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeDave (Post 6689632)
Let Her Cry - Hootie & The Blowfish
(Challenging because it's my first song to learn that utilizes more than 4 chords).

Actually, there are several pretty decent tunes by Hootie that are pretty easy (and fun) to play.

If you like "Americana" or "roots" music (I hate labels) and/or are a fan of the BoDeans, their live album "Joe Dirt Car" is full of great songs that are easy to play along to.

As for new songs, I've recently been working on "Whipping Post" as done by this guy:

Mirosh 04-13-2021 01:14 PM

"Summer's Almost Gone" by the Doors. Drop D 6th string. I was inspired by George Winston's piano rendition on his fascinating album of Doors music.

il Pirati 04-13-2021 01:47 PM

If We Were Vampires by Jason Isbell - pretty difficult fingerstyle arrangement, for me at least. Although I notice he doesn't play all the bits when he performs live.

If I Could Only Fly by Blaze Foley - uses an irregular Travis "pattern" that's taking some work.

Still working thorough a couple Fingerstyle Blues books I picked up at Xmas, which is giving me plenty to work on.

cliff_the_stiff 04-13-2021 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulzoom (Post 6689649)
Led Zeppelin going to California (DADGAD). Been taking me a long time to get the patterns down.

Hi Paul, of course you may be choosing to play a version in dadgad, but the book I have learned this tune from has the tuning in drop double D, that b tuned down to an a may be contributing to your chord shape challenge.
Guitar Lessons 365 has a great lesson on it.
They released a deluxe version of Led Zeppelin 4 that also includes a version without vocals, that is my favorite version to listen to this piece to play along with.

Bob from Brooklyn 04-13-2021 02:03 PM

Written by Toby Keith for Clint Eastwood but inspired by a fellow AGF'er ;)