The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   One Step Forward, Two steps back (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544519)

Lkristians 04-18-2019 10:50 AM

One Step Forward, Two steps back

Whew. I just took delivery of the presonus usb 96. I did a quick one track recording of my acoustic/electric guitar straight in to garage band and wow...what a difference. I'd previously been using the mic on my computer. Keep in mind, I'm an absolute novice, but enjoying the learning process. So, I'm a bit used to the GB navigation, again, just the very basics. So, with the USB 96 comes the Studio One DAW. I downloaded it, and it seems so complex, that I'm probably going to stick with GB. To add to the confusion, I wasn't even sure if I was downloading the correct version, or purchasing an upgrade. It wasn't very clear. Extremely happy with the quality improvement I'm hearing, but a little frustrated that I am so far behind as it relates to Studio One. Am I missing something? THANKS!

rick-slo 04-18-2019 11:13 AM

DAWs have the ability to do far more things than most users will ever use. You will learn to focus in on the aspects you use and probably set up defaults that match that.

Trevor B. 04-18-2019 11:57 AM

While I don't recommend trying this at home the video below is a hoot!!!

I don't use Studio One but based on how popular it is and a quick perusal of this DAWs editing/mixing features I'd say it's a considerable step up from GB. Just my opinion but the learning curve for basic guitar recording would be well worth the effort.

rmp 04-18-2019 12:13 PM

I had one of the fist ones, I never in a million years thought about running over it with my car.....................
:confused:

Trevor B. 04-18-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmp (Post 6039837)
I had one of the fist ones, I never in a million years thought about running over it with my car.....................
:confused:

Probably a good thing!!!

Here's a Studio One "How to get started" (my paraphrase) video that may help the OP. The advertising takes up the first 2 minutes plus. The instruction begins at about 2.13.

Lkristians 04-18-2019 01:43 PM

Thanks very much

I appreciate the tutorial post. Many thanks!

Trevor B. 04-18-2019 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lkristians (Post 6039902)

There's a pretty good follow-up video by the same guy about actually recording in Studio One Artist. The only qualifier is that if you record acoustic guitar and or voice with condenser mikes you'll need to turn on the 48v phantom power (push the button on your interface. Mic in is a different deal than line in and requires phantom power.
With that in mind here's the video:

Trevor B. 04-18-2019 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lkristians (Post 6039902)

There's a pretty good follow-up video by the same guy about actually recording in Studio One Artist. The only qualifier is that if you record acoustic guitar and/or voice with condenser mikes you'll need to turn on the 48v phantom power (push the button on your interface). Mic in is a different deal than line in and requires phantom power.
With that in mind here's the video:

KevWind 04-18-2019 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lkristians (Post 6039774)
Whew. I just took delivery of the presonus usb 96. I did a quick one track recording of my acoustic/electric guitar straight in to garage band and wow...what a difference. I'd previously been using the mic on my computer. Keep in mind, I'm an absolute novice, but enjoying the learning process. So, I'm a bit used to the GB navigation, again, just the very basics. So, with the USB 96 comes the Studio One DAW. I downloaded it, and it seems so complex, that I'm probably going to stick with GB. To add to the confusion, I wasn't even sure if I was downloading the correct version, or purchasing an upgrade. It wasn't very clear. Extremely happy with the quality improvement I'm hearing, but a little frustrated that I am so far behind as it relates to Studio One. Am I missing something? THANKS!

Congrats yes a dedicated interface does improve the situation .
Since you have downloaded Studio One ( I believe the
"Artist" version comes with the USB 96, a great version ) I would not dismiss is because it looks like so much more than GB .. Because in fact it is so much more than GB.The basic difference is Studio One is laid out like a large format recording console (in the Mixer section ) and a linear ( left to right) track/waveform editing section.

And once you get past the relatively short time it will take you to get the basics of it, you will likely never think about GB again.....

Also There is a ton of YouTube video's to help you and just google something like "getting started with Studio One "

There is also this website that is all about studio one https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/studio-one-expert

MikeBmusic 04-19-2019 07:38 AM

Take the time to learn your new DAW. Any DAW has a learning curve, but once past it, you will not regret changing. Things like non-destructive editing, comping, routing, grouping and automation make using a DAW so useful.