The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Did you all start music lessons on Guitar or other instrument? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572693)

texaspicker 02-19-2020 11:05 AM

Did you all start music lessons on Guitar or other instrument?

Often when you speak with someone as to how they started their journey on guitar inevitably the story will go that they started on some other instrument.

As for myself I started on violin as a kid. Never really developed a passion for it and after watching the movie "Help" and seeing John Lennon strumming that 12 string acoustic singing "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" I was hooked! I wanted a guitar so badly and begged my parents for one. They finally relented and bought a Sears Silvertone acoustic for me and started me on lessons.

Needless to say the violin interest disappeared and I found myself playing along to Beatle records and later as a teen Zeppelin, the Who, the Eagles and Aerosmith..

Cincy2 02-19-2020 11:08 AM

Similar story here. Started on drums in grammar school to play in the school orchestra. In high school, I saw the connection between girls and guitars. Never really worked out that way but at least I've kept a lot of luthiers in business over the years.

Cincy

Brent Hahn 02-19-2020 11:09 AM

Bass player first. Far more "job opportunities" for a 13-year-old.

penname 02-19-2020 11:13 AM

Violin followed by trombone in elementary school. Stopped playing in 6th grade and then had a 40+ year gap until I started guitar in 2011.

k_russell 02-19-2020 11:15 AM

I played bells in grade school.

Bob Womack 02-19-2020 11:24 AM

I started with voice and school band and ended up all-city in choir, believe it or not. It was a cultural thing. In band I started with trumpet. I really wanted to play drums, but my father said no. The trumpet fizzled due to lack of interest. Then came the end of the '60s and some really great popular music and I just HAD to make some of that music. My parents bought me an acoustic (a classical). I was a lefty playing righty. I got about four lessons on the guitar from my youth leader before he gave up on me so i was on my own. I got a job and bought an electric and amp. Right about then I became a latchkey kid. I lived out in the country, away from my friends. My guitar became my companion and I spent a couple of hours a day learning, all through junior high and high school. In college I studied classical guitar.

Bob

Chipotle 02-19-2020 11:34 AM

6 months or so of piano lessons, started when I was 6. But I really wanted to play the guitar, and told my parents, "I promise if you let me take guitar lessons instead, I will actually practice!" And I did.

dwasifar 02-19-2020 11:39 AM

Piano first. Then clarinet, in the school band. Violin for one year then back to clarinet and eventually sax.

Never any good at any of them. When I wanted a guitar my parents didn't want to get me one, because they thought it would just be another failed attempt. But that's what I eventually stuck with.

Jeremy 02-19-2020 11:44 AM

Started with guitar. Then did a deep dive into music theory with high school choir classes which I then applied to improving my guitar skills.

jaymarsch 02-19-2020 12:01 PM

I started with guitar and then learned to play the fiddle for a bit and then back to guitar. Took a foray into clawhammer banjo and then back to the guitar. I seem to remember that there was some harmonica back in the day, too! :)

Best,
Jayne

mawmow 02-19-2020 12:04 PM

At school we had fisrt session with flute, then guitar.
Never played flute again.

Ceabeceabe 02-19-2020 12:05 PM

Started lessons on guitar and clarinet at the same time, then dropped clarinet for the most part and picked up sax and trumpet. Then dropped sax and took trumpet and guitar lessons while playing both in a variety of amateur bands. Then dropped trumpet, sticking with guitar and for about 3 years also took singing lessons. Man I am old.

BallisticSquid 02-19-2020 12:08 PM

Guitar has been my one and only instrument for the past 30+ years. Seeing how my kids learning piano, clarinet, and viola I see how learning one instrument helps with others. I wish I had that opportunity myself as a kid.

D-utim 02-19-2020 12:21 PM

The Recorder!

JayBee1404 02-19-2020 12:22 PM

Never had any lessons. Completely self-taught.