The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Another noise complaint = Need headphone recommendations (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481071)

sandspike15 08-28-2017 12:20 AM

Another noise complaint = Need headphone recommendations

It turns out that my 100W amp wasn't a good idea for my apartment- at least that's what my neighbors (and the cops) are telling me.

Need recommendations on a decent set of headphones that can handle the signal range. My bose noise cancellers crap out at too low a volume level.

Not looking to kill my ears- or the bank- think $300 max, and less than that if possible for decent quality and comfort?

YamahaGuy 08-28-2017 03:53 AM

I've had good results with my $50 JVC XX over the ears. They handle the bass well and get loud enough to satisfy my not so sensitive ear drums.

My open back AKG K240s sound great, but don't do loud as well.

In ear monitors, like my Shure SE215s or MEE Pro6 aren't bad either with the right tips in.

Playing back electric guitar is different than playing back recorded music or music from the radio--the dynamics and frequency range are way different. Chances are, the guitar signal is not compressed, so don't rely on listening to music through them as an indicator of how well headphones will work for listening to your electric guitar.

Best of luck.

Bob Womack 08-28-2017 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YamahaGuy (Post 5458346)
My open back AKG K240s sound great, but don't do loud as well.

Um, uh, if you are listening so loud that the K240s can't hack it, you are likely suffering hearing damage.

Bob

Gutch 08-28-2017 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Womack (Post 5458379)
Um, uh, if you are listening so loud that the K240s can't hack it, you are likely suffering hearing damage.

Bob

+1 On Bob's comments re: K240s. Those are some solid quality headphones.

Another option is the Beyerdynamic DT770. Very comfortable and sound great.

wrathfuldeity 08-28-2017 08:54 AM

Yup, AKG 240's...got 10 years on a used pair and still working very well.

Scotso 08-28-2017 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandspike15 (Post 5458319)
It turns out that my 100W amp wasn't a good idea for my apartment- at least that's what my neighbors (and the cops) are telling me.

Need recommendations on a decent set of headphones that can handle the signal range. My bose noise cancellers crap out at too low a volume level.

Not looking to kill my ears- or the bank- think $300 max, and less than that if possible for decent quality and comfort?

Ya...100 watts will honk the devil next door off.

I might have a different rec than many. I think very few amps have great sounds coming out of their headphone jack. I do not know what kind of amp you have, but Blackstars 1w and Katana 50w are both great for headphones.

I tend to like on ear phones. I am a fan of Grado and they have several models below $100 that sound great. Also Audio Technica sound good to me in the below $100 category. Spend the rest of the money saved on cheaper headphones on a good amp for those headphones.

Paleolith54 08-28-2017 01:13 PM

Quote:

What amp do you have? Does it actually have a headphone jack, or are you perhaps using headphones in another jack? It just seems odd that the phones are being overdriven by the amp.

HesNot 08-28-2017 02:48 PM

I have a pair of Sennheiser Momentums that I like quite a bit - I use them with a Firehawk FX for quiet practice and they sound great with that and with music.

My son has Audio Technica M40x that are a really nice sounding set of cans and below $100

Steve DeRosa 08-28-2017 03:25 PM

Quote:

It turns out that my 100W amp wasn't a good idea for my apartment - at least that's what my neighbors (and the cops) are telling me.

Need recommendations on a decent set of headphones that can handle the signal range...think $300 max...

https://www.harborfreight.com/indust...ffs-60792.html

One set for each of your neighbors should do it... :cool:

sandspike15 08-28-2017 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa (Post 5458964)
https://www.harborfreight.com/indust...ffs-60792.html

One set for each of your neighbors should do it... :cool:

I love this^^^...

Current amp is a 2015 Line6 AMPLIFi 150. Has a headphone out. I don't know if maybe the adapter I have (to go from the 1/4" to the 3.5mm) is causing the clipping?

Ultimately, I'm not in love with the AMPLIFi anyway. Seemed like a great idea at the time, but (other than a few good tone recreations) it's pretty typical digital sounding. No Kemper here.

May go to a nice low wattage tube amp (HT-1R maybe?) and still use some phones when the day turns to night...

Steve DeRosa 08-28-2017 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandspike15 (Post 5459001)
...Current amp is a 2015 Line6 AMPLIFi 150...Seemed like a great idea at the time, but (other than a few good tone recreations) it's pretty typical digital sounding...May go to a nice low wattage tube amp...

Bought the (distant) ancestor Flextone Plus 1x12" in 1999, same results...

Went back to analog (mostly tube), after using the Line 6 maybe a dozen times in the next 3-4 years, and never looked back...

Snagged a Bugera V5 Infinium for $127 brand-new/in-the-box/full warranty earlier this year - hit the right combination of a sale, a 15% off coupon, a bit of old-fashioned haggling, and nobody else in the store...

Got a headphone out and an attenuator that'll take it down to 0.1W...

The 5W setting is great for '50s-style class-A clean tones - plenty of headroom/not a lot of volume...

'Nuff said...

TheChicagoTodd 08-28-2017 06:23 PM

Quote:

I love this^^^...

Current amp is a 2015 Line6 AMPLIFi 150. Has a headphone out. I don't know if maybe the adapter I have (to go from the 1/4" to the 3.5mm) is causing the clipping?

Ultimately, I'm not in love with the AMPLIFi anyway. Seemed like a great idea at the time, but (other than a few good tone recreations) it's pretty typical digital sounding. No Kemper here.

May go to a nice low wattage tube amp (HT-1R maybe?) and still use some phones when the day turns to night...

If your budget for headphones was a Max of $300 you can get a katana amplifier for about that price..... I think they are pretty excellent amplifiers. I can't speak for the combo amps but I hear that they are just as good I have the 100 watt head. The beauty of the 100w head is that you could hook it up to cabinets and totally rock out.... if you are not in your apt. Otherwise you can kick it down to a half a watt, you play through the built-in 4 speaker. If you have any of the katana series in a guitar store near you I highly encourage you to try it I think you will be impressed with the tone at low volume.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

YamahaGuy 08-28-2017 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Womack (Post 5458379)

Bob

The 240s work well and hack it (and I do actually have 10% and 30% hearing loss in my ears from birth). I meant to say I can get higher spl from the JVC, likely due to the over the ear, closed back design.

moon 08-28-2017 07:00 PM

Quote:

A reactive load & convolution cab sim can capture a very good quality line-level signal from a tube amp of any size.

My own low-volume set up is a home-made reactive load -> RME Multiface -> computer running Two Notes Wall of Sound (with some Ownhammer IRs) -> hi-fi amp and either speakers or headphones.

I think the (closed back) Sony MDR V6 / 7506 are good value and will get the job done.

muscmp 08-29-2017 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moon (Post 5459177)

I think the (closed back) Sony MDR V6 / 7506 are good value and will get the job done.

i use the sony 7506 and think they are great. also have sennheiser hd280 and they are fine for a while but not for long periods.

play music!