The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   New Kostal Build - OMC Koa/German Spruce (nearing the finish line) (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540693)

SprintBob 01-07-2021 05:41 PM

An update. Jason got delayed in November with the shipment of ebony finger boards getting delayed in customs due to a paperwork issue. I think we’ve lost about 6 weeks. Last update from Jason last week is that he was building the necks and hoped to send the necks and bodies out for spray the 2nd or 3rd week of this month. I’m thinking the guitar will be ready at the end of February.

Sorry for no pics. Jason warned me at the beginning of the build he has gotten away from sharing a lot of pics of the build.

Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

CoolerKing 01-11-2021 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SprintBob (Post 6598355)
An update. Jason got delayed in November with the shipment of ebony finger boards getting delayed in customs due to a paperwork issue. I think we’ve lost about 6 weeks. Last update from Jason last week is that he was building the necks and hoped to send the necks and bodies out for spray the 2nd or 3rd week of this month. I’m thinking the guitar will be ready at the end of February.

Sorry for no pics. Jason warned me at the beginning of the build he has gotten away from sharing a lot of pics of the build.

Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Yes, I think our threads will be short. But the only photos I really care about are the finished product, at least for me! :) Still looking forward to seeing this Koa under finish.

SprintBob 01-11-2021 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoolerKing (Post 6601692)
Yes, I think our threads will be short. But the only photos I really care about are the finished product, at least for me! :) Still looking forward to seeing this Koa under finish.

I’m dying to see how the rosette turned out on mine. I gave him “free license” to do what he does best.

SprintBob 01-13-2021 06:57 AM

Might be down the road a bit further. Jason and a Japanese spade chisel had an argument and the chisel won (see his Facebook page). He’s back in action but probably at a reduced work load for a little while. Could have been worse. Heal well my friend!

TomB'sox 01-13-2021 08:51 AM

Oh boy, that does not sound good. Ouch

Dustinfurlow 01-13-2021 10:04 AM

Looked intense....he definitely got lucky. Looking forward to seeing this beauty finished up!

jaymarsch 01-14-2021 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SprintBob (Post 6518704)
Back is cut out and braced and ready for gluing to the rim. Here's a pic of my back with it's batch siblings, an 00 that will have a Cambodian Rosewood back and sides (on the left) and an MDW that will have Cocobolo back and sides (center).

https://i.imgur.com/FsuNv6F.jpg

Moving along.

Three gorgeous looking backs there! Bob, your guitar is shaping up beautifully. Very exciting.

Best,
Jayne

SprintBob 01-17-2021 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaymarsch (Post 6604395)
Three gorgeous looking backs there! Bob, your guitar is shaping up beautifully. Very exciting.

Best,
Jayne

Thanks Jayne, I think it’s going to come out really nice.

Looks like Jason is back to 100% in his shop and got started on the neck of my guitar this week (box is finished and ready for spraying). Hoping no more than another 4-6 weeks and we’ll see a finished guitar.

SprintBob 02-04-2021 11:46 AM

Update. Spoke to Jason a couple of days ago. His hand is still healing so he can't start carving necks yet. It's very frustrating to him that he has to sit still for this! The body is built and the neck is attached (Jason carves the neck with it attached to the body).

Here's a recent pic. Mine is on the left and I'm stoked what he did with the end graft. The dots are mosaics of bronze and copper. We're going to add an ebony end pin for my NeckUp to attach to. Hopefully it will be finished late next month or early April.

https://i.imgur.com/Fr4xFs4.jpg

jaymarsch 02-04-2021 12:26 PM

Thanks for the updates. Aesthetics (which are stunning here) aside, I have played a number of German spruce/Koa guitars and found it to be a wonderful combination and I would imagine especially in Jason's capable hands (continued hope for full recovery). I look forward to hearing it at the finish line.

Best,
Jayne

TomB'sox 02-04-2021 12:49 PM

Looking fantastic Bob, I love your end graft too, really beautiful!

Vonzipper 02-09-2021 05:31 PM

SprintBob,

Did you get a wedge, or did you discuss this option with Jason? Interested because I don’t see this option on many OMs.

Thanks,

SprintBob 02-09-2021 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vonzipper (Post 6630644)
SprintBob,

Did you get a wedge, or did you discuss this option with Jason? Interested because I don’t see this option on many OMs.

Thanks,

Yes, Jason recommended the wedge for this build.

Guitars44me 02-15-2021 10:36 AM

Good!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SprintBob (Post 6630849)
Yes, Jason recommended the wedge for this build.

I am so sold on the Wedge! Together with the comfort bevels they can make a BIG axe feel much smaller.

That is a stunning pic of the three bodies together. Drooling here...

Salud

Paul

SprintBob 02-15-2021 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitars44me (Post 6636533)
I am so sold on the Wedge! Together with the comfort bevels they can make a BIG axe feel much smaller.

That is a stunning pic of the three bodies together. Drooling here...

Salud

Paul

Thanks Paul.