The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Larry Pattis “Signature Chord” (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180091)

15 Man 03-23-2010 08:16 AM

Larry Pattis “Signature Chord”

Most great artists have an identifiable “signature sound”. Laurence Juber does; so do El McMeen, Leo Kottke, Earl Klugh, and boat load of other players I can think of; both acoustic and electric. Larry Pattis, however, as well as having a signature sound also has a “signature chord”; at least I think so. I’ve been listening to all three of his CD’s quite a bit lately. That chord would be D Major when he’s using a DADGAD tuning. I don’t know exactly what it is; but there’s something unique about the sound he gets with it and it doesn’t seem to matter what guitar he’s using. Whatever he’s doing, I love that sound! Maybe it's just the way my ears here it; but somehow I don't think so.

Anyone else have any thought about this?

Taylorplayer 03-23-2010 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 15 Man (Post 2169871)
Most great artists have an identifiable “signature sound”. Laurence Juber does; so do El McMeen, Leo Kottke, Earl Klugh, and boat load of other players I can think of; both acoustic and electric. Larry Pattis, however, also has a “signature chord”; at least I think so. I’ve been listening to all three of his CD’s quite a bit lately. That chord would be D Major when he’s using a DADGAD tuning. I don’t know exactly what it is; but there’s something unique about the sound he gets with it and it doesn’t seem to matter what guitar he’s using. Whatever he’s doing, I love that sound! Maybe it's just the way my ears here it; but somehow I don't think so.

Anyone else have any thought about this?

Larry Pattis does post here often, and generously shares his thoughts, ideas, and knowledge. Why not ask him about it?

Just a thought...

T/P

rick-slo 03-23-2010 11:24 AM

Some say you can recognize right away certain guitar players by their playing technique.
Quadruple that for recognizing established composers by their compositions. Double that
again for composer/players.

15 Man 03-23-2010 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taylorplayer (Post 2170065)
Larry Pattis does post here often, and generously shares his thoughts, ideas, and knowledge. Why not ask him about it?

Just a thought...

T/P

Hi TP!

I know that Larry is a forum member and also posts here. I've talked to him; and he's a really nice guy! However, my question wasn't for him; it was for everyone else. Maybe I should rephrase the question.
Do other people hear the same thing that I do?

15 Man 03-23-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick-slo (Post 2170078)
Some say you can recognize right away certain guitar players by their playing technique.
Quadruple that for recognizing established composers by their compositions. Double that
again for composer/players.

I agree and Larry fits that description as well.