The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Running Multi Input Mixer into Fishman Loudbox Artist then to PA (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569817)

fiveoneseven 01-19-2020 07:22 PM

Running Multi Input Mixer into Fishman Loudbox Artist then to PA

I love the sound when running my Taylor and vocals into my Fishman Loudbox Artist bi-amp.

Gear: Taylor 517, Shure 58SM, Yamaha MG16XU Mixer, Fishman Loudbox Artist, JBL PRX812w (PA Speaker).

Here's what I want to do:

Run 3 vocals and 3 guitars into my Yamaha MG16XU mixer.

Set all my gain, compression, levels, etc. in the mixer for each input.

Have all my vocals set to full pan Left, and the guitars set to full pan Right.

Take my main monitor stereo out R (guitars) from the mixer to input 1 on the Fishman.

Take my main monitor stereo out L (vocals) from the mixer to input 2 on the Fishman.

Note: For some reason, I'm thinking even if you run inputs at all L or all R...the stereo outputs of the mixer may plays both channels on each output.

Leave the master volume off or at 0 on the Fishman.

From the Fishman, take the Mix DI Out (which is after all the FX are applied to each channel), and run that to main input on the JBL PA speaker.

Was also thinking maybe it would be easier just to run vocals into one mixer and guitars into another mixer.

Let me know your thoughts when you have a chance,

Thx.

Chipotle 01-19-2020 08:05 PM

I'm very confused. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

If the Artist volume is all the way down, what is its purpose in this setup? The Yamaha mixer already has EQ and FX. You should be able to run from the mixer right into the JBL speaker.

fiveoneseven 01-19-2020 08:37 PM

I hear ya. I just like the vocal FX I have on input 2 and the guitar sound from Input 1 on the Fishman. It’s not a lot, but it sounds good. I don’t think the FX on the Yamaha sound good at all. We’re just talking basic reverb and things like that.

The FX Mix DI Out from the back of the Fishman is a line out with all the FX applied. The volume of the amp itself has no impact of the volume of the signal going out.

I just want everyone to have the Fishman FX’s without buying 3 amps.

I probably didn’t explain it too well. I’m going to try and set everything up on Tuesday to test out.

Thx.

Chipotle 01-19-2020 09:05 PM

Your original post lists one guitar and one mic, but you have two more people playing with you, correct?

What you outline should work. If you pan mixer channels hard left or right, they should only show up in that output. No need to have another mixer to complicate things ever further. As-is you'll need be careful of the gain structure as you still have the input gain added between mixer and speaker. And I'd only use one set of EQ (mixer or amp) and leave the other flat.

You're just using the Fishman as a very large, heavy reverb unit, in a weird place in the signal chain. But sure, it can work.

Chipotle 01-20-2020 12:38 PM

On further thought, if you're really just using the Fishman for the reverb, get a XLR-to-unbalanced-1/4" adapter. Take an Aux Out from the mixer, run it into the amp, then amp DI mix back into an unused channel on the board (since the MG16XU doesn't seem to have a dedicated aux return).

That will let you at least control the reverb from the mixer like a normal effects unit, using the Aux as the send and the spare channel for the return. This will allow you to have a different amount of reverb for each mic/instrument if you want, and overall reverb level control right on the mixer with no need to touch the amp.

The amp is still just a big, heavy reverb unit but you have better control.

fiveoneseven 01-24-2020 07:44 PM

So...I plugged two guitars into the mixer, and then into the Fishman....sounds fine. I actually emailed Fishman, and they said the only issue might be that you could clip the signal if it's too much coming in...but I'm able to adjust that in the mixer.

I also ended up getting the Fishman ToneDEQ so that I could use the Fishman Artist as my monitor and amp.

sometimes in the end...it all works out.

j

fiveoneseven 01-24-2020 07:47 PM

Tomorrow, I'm going to run a mandolin, violin, and two Taylors into the Fishman....so that will be the true test.

fiveoneseven 07-06-2021 08:06 PM

Shaking my head...

Almost ashamed of this post…but maybe it’s important to give an update and go full circle in case it helps anyone else.

1. Buy the right mixer for the job. Don’t try and out smart your equipment….just makes it harder.
2. Don’t try and fix or form everyone else’s sound…just use whatever FX boxes or EQ for your instrument/voice.
3. Others can form their own sound to what they like and then just let them plug in like everyone else does. If it’s that important to them…they’ll buy the gear.

So at the end of the day, I bought a SoundCraft Signature 16 mixer to cover all of the inputs, plus it has good on board FX if anyone needs them. And then I just run my acoustic into a Fishman ToneDec to add some delay.

j