The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   A raging rant about clueless "musicians" (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562176)

fazool 10-29-2019 05:23 AM

A raging rant about clueless "musicians"

Background: a co-worker is a pro drummer and looking to get back into playing so we've been talking to folks about getting a group together.

These are actual conversation I had with various folks:

Female lead singer. Her statement "music is my juice - I live for it". So I listened to a couple Youtube videos her band posted. Literally the worst singer I've ever heard. I felt like Simon Cowell at a bad AGT audition where he has to break it to someone that they are delusional and can't sing at all. I didn't say that, obviously. She said she can't get any gigs because the music scene here is really corrupt and the local booking agents have everything locked up.

Band looking for another guitarist. They want to play corporate events, lawn fetes and community days. I ask for a sample song list. They want to play Nine Inch Nails, Korn and Metallica.

Male-female "classic rock" duo. They want to play hard partying music and so want to step up to Christopher Cross and America.

Guy starting a One-Hit-Wonder cover band. Sounded interesting so I asked which songs he wants to cover (like 50's, 80's, all of it?) . He sends me a snarky reply to go look up what "one hit wonder means". I explain that I know what it is and, in fact, play a few myself. I was wondering which specific songs you are working on. He replies " the usual: Diana Ross, The Bangles, Journey, Frank Sinatra."

Guy wants to play 80's new wave dance songs. Insists on sticking with his current gigs in biker bars.

Band advertises for musicians. Posted "we are not going to be playing all that common music. We want to play what WE like and when the audience sees US having fun, then they will have fun seeing us have fun."

Talked to a guy about playing 80's classic rock. Says he loves that music, but hates Prince, Journey, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, etc. I asked what he loves playing and he gives me his list of 80's songs ......all from 1979-1980.

It goes on, and on.........

I know it's tough making a go at being a musician

Finding "normal" musicians feels like speed dating in Alice's Wonderland.

catdaddy 10-29-2019 06:56 AM

Yipes! It would appear it's time to check for hallucinogens in the water supply.

Guest 33123 10-29-2019 07:15 AM

This is why I don't play in bands anymore.

Mr. Jelly 10-29-2019 07:36 AM

This is the real world of modern musicians. And once you find a musical connection you start in dealing with personalities and the different levels of skill and talent. After that you hope they deal with life in a similar way as you. Are they on time, money issues, they don't show up at all with no call or bring friends and family with them and they have personality issues it goes on and on.

KevWind 10-29-2019 07:40 AM

Well musicians are actually humans first :D

Steve DeRosa 10-29-2019 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevWind (Post 6198145)
Well musicians are actually humans first...

Been in this game since 1962 - and quite frankly, I'm not so sure... :confused:

RustyAxe 10-29-2019 07:58 AM

:D. Got a smile out of this. I auditioned and was chosen to play bass for a band playing “country and southern rock”. Two short rehearsals. Second gig the BL calls out four Neil Diamond tunes in a row (none were rehearsed, but no problem other than I hate pop music generally). I quit on the way home. ;)

KevWind 10-29-2019 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa (Post 6198148)
Been in this game since 1962 - and quite frankly, I'm not so sure... :confused:

Well according to Agent K, Elvis did not die he just went home :D

Mbroady 10-29-2019 08:10 AM

“Confidence is the prize given to the mediocre”
Robert Hughes

PorkPieGuy 10-29-2019 08:11 AM

This is one of those you-can't-make-this-stuff-up things, and I believe every word of it.

Musicians are the quirkiest bunch out there.

rokdog49 10-29-2019 08:22 AM

I understand your rant and I share your feelings.
It’s certainly frustrating. KevWind said it best.
Good luck, you’ll need all you can get.

Earl49 10-29-2019 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevWind (Post 6198145)
Well musicians are actually humans first :D

And unlike the general population (which would be bad enough) also burdened with a creative side. That makes it all much worse in terms of flakiness.

RP 10-29-2019 11:15 AM

The OP goes to one of my core beliefs that perception generally trumps reality...

RedJoker 10-29-2019 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fazool (Post 6198043)

Band advertises for musicians. Posted "we are not going to be playing all that common music. We want to play what WE like and when the audience sees US having fun, then they will have fun seeing us have fun."

I actually kinda agree with this one. Now, I also realize I won't get many gigs with this plan, but I'm OK with that. I'd rather play one or two gigs that I enjoy rather than a handful of gigs that I don't.

Bluside 10-29-2019 11:33 AM

Hold on, let me get my banjo.