The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   What is the D-28 of the carbon fiber world? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425896)

Bluside 04-11-2016 05:24 AM

What is the D-28 of the carbon fiber world?

It's hard to argue that the Martin D-28 is an iconic guitar. Although, it may not be for everyone, it is the most copied guitar out there and does most things (not all) pretty well.

In your opinion, what brand and model in the CF world deserves that status?

Edit...does not have to be a dreadnought.

Doubleneck 04-11-2016 05:51 AM

If your question is, is there a D28 type guitar in the carbon world it would be that Rainsong DR1000, or the CA Legacy. Both Dred copies with the CA's goal to sound like a wood Martin. If your question is is there a carbon model that has become iconic like the D28, not sure CF guitars have been around long enough for that. Rainsong WS1000 or the JM1000 I think have been around long enough to maybe be thought of that way. CF allows for pushing the envelope so we are still in the innovative stages hard to know what will really be looked at as iconic.

To me the Emerald Doubleneck is in the iconic class but not for the reasons you ascribe to the D28. I just don't think it will ever be reproduced by any other builder and created a instrument only CF could produce.

sirwhale 04-11-2016 08:22 AM

Too many icons...

I would say the guitars you hear the most about around here are:

Rainsong Shorty
Emerald x20
Blackbird Lucky 13

Earl49 04-11-2016 08:27 AM

My guess is Rainsong WS-1000. It pretty much "does most things" musically. There have probably been more of those produced than any other brand or model in the CF world. But we are at the point in time where the type has only recently been invented - kinda like naming the D-28 as an icon in 1935 or so.

Bluside 04-11-2016 08:37 AM

Some very good answers. Yes, I think we are at the front of the CF wave right now.

Maybe I should have posted this in the General section. (Although it probably would have come back here.) It would be interesting to ask this question to someone not too familiar with carbon guitars and see what is the first one that comes to their mind.

Acousticado 04-11-2016 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluside (Post 4896813)
Some very good answers. Yes, I think we are at the front of the CF wave right now.

Maybe I should have posted this in the General section. (Although it probably would have come back here.) It would be interesting to ask this question to someone not too familiar with carbon guitars and see what is the first one that comes to their mind.

The thread would likely get locked in short order.

Bluside 04-11-2016 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acousticado (Post 4896934)
The thread would likely get locked in short order.

That's funny. You're probably right.

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales 04-11-2016 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluside (Post 4896664)
It's hard to argue that the Martin D-28 is an iconic guitar. Although, it may not be for everyone, it is the most copied guitar out there and does most things (not all) pretty well.

Easy, the Rainsong WS1000N2.

Doubleneck 04-11-2016 06:34 PM

Think you would have to include the WS1000N1

AZLiberty 04-11-2016 07:33 PM

Most versatile and readily available (relatively speaking) would be the Rainsong WS1000.

I guess that would make it more of the D-35 of the CF world than the D-28 though. ;)

If you said to me pick one CF guitar to play everything on, it would be a Rainsong WS1000, maybe a WS1005 which is the same body but I've never played one.

Now if you want to go to a bluegrass jam and beat the Martin an Guild players into submission then the choice is the DR1000.

Finger Stylish 04-12-2016 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluside (Post 4896664)

A lift from my Google search,
"The "Dreadnought" is a type of acoustic guitar body developed by guitar manufacturer C.F. Martin & Company. The Dreadnought style has since been copied by other guitar manufacturers and is now a common style of guitar body."

and since you qualified your question with D-28, I cannot move away from the Dreadnought. Since I own a H DR1000, that's my answer. If I owned a CA Legacy, that would most likely be my answer. Love my Rainsong.

SpruceTop 04-12-2016 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubleneck (Post 4897583)

+1, being that a large number of RainSong WS1000N1 guitars were sold prior to the introduction of the N2 neck.

I currently have two Classic Series RainSong WS1000N1 axes but have owned one other, also two RainSong DR1000N1, and a RainSong JM3000N1 12-string. I've owned the following Concert Series guitars: a RainSong CO-WS1000N2 and a RainSong CO-DR1000N2. I guess we're all supposed to be wowed by the CO Concert Series guitars with their N2 necks but I've found I like the clarity of tone and the feel of the N1 neck of the pre-N2-neck Classic Series better. I've yet to play or own a RainSong Black Ice Series guitar but from what I've read they sound similar to the Classic Series.

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales 04-12-2016 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubleneck (Post 4897583)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpruceTop (Post 4898038)
+1, being that a large number of RainSong WS1000N1 guitars were sold prior to the introduction of the N2 neck...

And D-28's were built without and adjustable truss until 1986. But since "D-28" covers all versions built since the 30's, I'll amend my answer and say WS-1000 to include all versions of the Rainsong WS. ;)

carterjackson2 04-27-2016 07:36 AM

I have a pre-Peavey Composite Acoustics vintage voiced Legacy dread, and it comes closer to a vintage D-28 than any other non-wood instrument I have played. A bargain in the used market. Play one before you buy anything else.

martingitdave 04-27-2016 08:35 AM

Being completely ignorant on the topic, does the Rainson WS1000 N2 come without the "barn door" preamp?

Also, I'm a bit surprised at the price. I understand that workmaship in CF is very high, but I would have expected the cost of entry to be much lower for a quality guitar.

Perhaps that is why they aren't more popular? The cost of the CF equivalent to the iconic stature of the D-28, costs more than a D-28. I guess many would opt for the D-28.

I think if I played in less hospitable climates, or did many outdoor shows, I might be more inclined to give one of these a try.

I kind of wish there was a used one available locally to take a flyer on. Or, better yet, a buddy with one. ;-)

I'm doing a few shows and festivals this summer, and I could see one coming in handy.