The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Amp stands for electrics? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525598)

BoneDigger 10-20-2018 11:32 AM

Amp stands for electrics?

I have read that placing an amp on a stand, facing more towards you gives you a better feel for the amps true sound, versus having it playing toward your feet (on the floor). Others say it takes away some bass and that amps were made to be placed on the floor in order to get their best tone.

How do you guys feel about amp stands, and especially for home or home studio use?

Todd

Jaden 10-20-2018 01:30 PM

As a general rule I think it’s a good idea to have it off the floor for home use and pointing right at ones head to hear detail that would be missed if on the floor. It certainly worked to improve my appreciation for the BJ III I had. Volume was low most of the time.

Mooh 10-20-2018 01:34 PM

I like mine up off the floor and angled towards me a bit, or the combo on top of the extension cab (not plugged in) gets me part way there.

Experiment to find out what you prefer. It may take a while.

clintj 10-20-2018 09:07 PM

Having it on a stand will decouple it from the floor, which will trim and tighten up the bass. Stands and tilt back legs are very useful on stage, IMO. You can hear the amp better, and it helps keep the sound guy from asking you to turn down as much because it's not pointed at him any more.

Howard Emerson 10-21-2018 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoneDigger (Post 5868130)
I have read that placing an amp on a stand, facing more towards you gives you a better feel for the amps true sound, versus having it playing toward your feet (on the floor). Others say it takes away some base and that amps were made to be placed on the floor in order to get their best tone.

How do you guys feel about amp stands, and especially for home or home studio use?

Todd

Todd,
If you just think of all the times you've seen expensive stereo speakers on stands, or studio monitors hung from the ceiling or on stands......

I can understand why they used to mic the riser that John Bonham's drums were on, but.....

Lean it back, and enjoy it for your ears.

HE

KevWind 10-21-2018 06:46 AM

I have and prefer a stand for my two combo amps (particularly for recording ) Which also slants it upward
As someone mentioned it will decouple it from the floor which should yield a tighter, if somewhat less pronounced bass response.

muscmp 10-21-2018 11:11 AM

i think it depends upon the environment first of all. playing a gig on stage vs. playing in a small carpeted room.

i put a sweetwater catalog under my amps so that they are decoupled from the carpeted floor, and it/they are facing me.

on a stage, i like to have the amp behind me raised so i can hear it better and give it better projection.

play music!

Steve DeRosa 10-21-2018 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoneDigger (Post 5868130)
I have read that placing an amp on a stand, facing more towards you, gives you a better feel for the amps true sound...

Quote:

Originally Posted by clintj (Post 5868571)
Having it on a stand will decouple it from the floor, which will trim and tighten up the bass...very useful on stage, IMO. You can hear the amp better...

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscmp (Post 5868924)
...on a stage, i like to have the amp behind me raised so i can hear it better and give it better projection.

Yamaha Man 10-21-2018 05:14 PM

I use an amp stand because it puts the controls at my fingertips, I like that.

anodyne 10-21-2018 08:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I really dig my MicroStack ... a bit overkill for the house though lol :guitar:

TjthePhD 10-21-2018 08:41 PM

My amplifier sits on the same milk crates that were "acquired" for this purpose back in the early 1980s ... :eek:

Song 10-21-2018 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anodyne (Post 5869304)
I really dig my MicroStack ... a bit overkill for the house though lol :guitar:

Your extension speaker makes a good stand. Or a desk.

https://images2.imgbox.com/d8/4c/QTLcn2Ce_o.jpg

guitararmy 10-22-2018 12:20 PM

If you don't have a stand (even a folding chair will do) you can tilt your amp back and get some of the same benefits. I have a pair of old metal printer stands from the tractor feed paper days that work well for that...

Jerry D 10-22-2018 02:07 PM

No, amp doesn't stand for electrics, it stands for amplifier. :D

muscmp 10-22-2018 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry D (Post 5869830)
No, amp doesn't stand for electrics, it stands for amplifier. :D

whew, i know i'll sleep better tonight!:D

play music!