The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   J. kinnaird oversized Slope Dread 12c build. My #6 with John! (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628170)

inc0herent 11-26-2021 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitars44me (Post 6855593)
Attachment 65087Attachment 65088

Teaser of the rosette being squashed! Back strip inlaid. Braz and fiddleback mahogany.

More soon according to JK

Happy Saturday night to all.

Unamplified Road house gig for me on top of Mt. Laguna. Log cabin in the pines at 6K ft altitude, about 60 miles east of San Diego. John’s Big Guns get the job done!

Playing for the new owners at a place I have played a LOT over the years. First gig there since Covid! Woohoo.

Cheers

Paul

That Myrtle is epic and I love that rosette, good job fellas. Also, cograts on the gig - you're back baby!

Guitars44me 11-27-2021 11:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for checking in, incOherent! We should get together again and make a racket….

As for the gig, it was a blast and They said I will hear from them about more eventually.

Braces in …. Woohoo

Paul Attachment 65822

Jamiejoon 11-28-2021 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird (Post 6865248)
Well happily that’s exactly what I ordered for your case.

Thanks John!! Hope you had a very restful and happy Thanksgiving. :)

inc0herent 11-28-2021 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitars44me (Post 6865792)
Thanks for checking in, incOherent! We should get together again and make a racket….

As for the gig, it was a blast and They said I will hear from them about more eventually.

Braces in …. Woohoo

Paul Attachment 65822

Si Senor! We will have a few new boss axes to frighten birds and squirrels with, ha!

Guitars44me 12-09-2021 09:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Seth, the birds and squirrels will flock to enjoy our serenade! Haha

John has the top on and says:

“I'm building this backwards from the way I normally do. Its an attempt to make the adjustable neck more easily done. More in the genre of classical construction. “

He is always improvising and constantly improving, at least as far as I can tell!Attachment 66375

Guitars44me 12-31-2021 11:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 67429

The back has joined the party…. Now for New Years Binding! Haha

Actually hoping John takes some time off with his lovely wife Barb…

A splendid New Year to ALL

Paul

Guitars44me 01-09-2022 05:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Neck is laid up. Spanish Cedar, Maple, Zircote maple SC…. Should be feather light with the CF D Tube inside. It weighs less than the wood it replaces.

Everyone stay well and play on

Paul Attachment 67945

Rapdog 01-10-2022 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitars44me (Post 6875673)
Hey Seth, the birds and squirrels will flock to enjoy our serenade! Haha

John has the top on and says:

“I'm building this backwards from the way I normally do. Its an attempt to make the adjustable neck more easily done. More in the genre of classical construction. “

He is always improvising and constantly improving, at least as far as I can tell!Attachment 66375

What does this type of bracing change in the tone of the guitar? I assume it stiffens the top and makes it more treble dominant but please school me if you know. Thanks.

Guitars44me 01-10-2022 09:55 AM

Bracing

Good question rapdog. Do you mean the carbon Fiber struts? They support the top and allow John to brace it more lightly, without worry about it folding in on itself over time.

This allows the ENTIRE top to join the music making. Most upper bouts don’t do much singing, as the structural bracing impedes sound production.

As for the backwards construction with the back going on last, it allowed John to finesse the adjustable neck better. I do not believe that will affect tone.

John, please correct me if I have not put this well!

I can tell you that the two other instruments JK has built me with his adjustable neck sound just as fab as his others without the widget.

Everyone stay vigilant and well

Paul

SuperB23 01-10-2022 10:46 AM

Coming together nicely Paul!! I'm excited for you!

j. Kinnaird 01-10-2022 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rapdog (Post 6901980)
What does this type of bracing change in the tone of the guitar? I assume it stiffens the top and makes it more treble dominant but please school me if you know. Thanks.

My tops are rather stiff just around the bridge area but rather thin and flexible around the periphery. The stiffness is friendly to the trebles and the larger flexibility is friendly to the bass notes. Think speaker construction and you will get an idea of where my bracing pattern finds inspiration. I also like symmetry. I don’t really believe in the uncoupling of bass from treble sides. It’s all hands on deck for the bass notes. What I find is the bass notes are strong and resonant without being boomy (is that a word). I want them to have a crispness that allows their note to me clearly defined. The trebles seem to take care of themselves with this design.

Having said all that, bracing patterns are not really as important as how you voice the pattern that you have chosen.

TomB'sox 01-11-2022 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird (Post 6902592)
My tops are rather stiff just around the bridge area but rather thin and flexible around the periphery. The stiffness is friendly to the trebles and the larger flexibility is friendly to the bass notes. Think speaker construction and you will get an idea of where my bracing pattern finds inspiration. I also like symmetry. I don’t really believe in the uncoupling of bass from treble sides. It’s all hands on deck for the bass notes. What I find is the bass notes are strong and resonant without being boomy (is that a word). I want them to have a crispness that allows their note to me clearly defined. The trebles seem to take care of themselves with this design.

Having said all that, bracing patterns are not really as important as how you voice the pattern that you have chosen.

Seems to me, this is the magic of the build of which I do not understand, how much to take off and where. Must take years or building to feel confident in that.

Guitars44me 01-21-2022 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB'sox (Post 6903437)
Seems to me, this is the magic of the build of which I do not understand, how much to take off and where. Must take years or building to feel confident in that.

I wager this is why so many factory instruments are slightly (or more) overbuilt…

Meanwhile, John found this burl in his yard! I have requested he use it for top purfling.
Attachment 68524And maybe headstock/backstrap and whatever else he feels will be sweet.

Guitars44me 01-22-2022 11:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
John sent a couple pics of the burl top purfling with the flame mahogany fine line surrounds…
I LIKE this a lot!Attachment 68558Attachment 68559

Everyone have a FUN Saturday

Paul

Nemoman 01-22-2022 12:45 PM

Looking good--that mahogany sets the burl off nicely and pops against the myrtle!