The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Oh what a difference!!! (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511537)

RP 05-24-2018 05:23 PM

Oh what a difference!!!

I'd purchased a MIM Butterscotch Standard Telecaster and used an Amazon Gift Card to purchase a set of noiseless vintage pickups. Just got it back from my tech, and WOW, what an improvement on the stock pickups....

3notes 05-24-2018 07:46 PM

Can you tell us more.?? Just an overall cleaner sound.?? Or more.??....

RP 05-25-2018 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3notes (Post 5738098)
Can you tell us more.?? Just an overall cleaner sound.?? Or more.??....

I'm not good at putting sound into words, but I'll give it a try. Obviously the 60 cycle hum is gone, but the tone itself seems, well, thicker and richer. It's probably like the difference between an Andrew Wyeth painted in watercolors on a pizza box vs the same painting in egg tempera on a canvas with a nice frame...

KevWind 05-25-2018 06:46 AM

Hey great it is nice when anticipation actually proves to work well , congrats

Steve DeRosa 05-25-2018 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RP (Post 5738333)
I'm not good at putting sound into words, but I'll give it a try...the tone itself seems, well, thicker and richer. It's probably like the difference between an Andrew Wyeth painted in watercolors on a pizza box vs the same painting in egg tempera on a canvas with a nice frame...

We get it, RP - kinda like the difference between plugging your great-sounding guitar into an original '64 Twin Reverb with JAN tubes, and punching up the "Twin" setting on a modeling rig... :sick:

M Sarad 05-25-2018 11:37 AM

I just had a friend’s original black face Princeton Reverb serviced for the first time since he got it New in the 60s. Although he switched to bass after we met in 1969, he kept it and let me use it while we were playing in college. It went into a closet until I convinced him that as an owner of a Tele, he needed to get that amp working.
$283 dollars later, all the Princeton needed was a new Reverb tank, three pronged plug, vintage correct grill cloth, and a broken solder joint redone. The original tubes and caps were all intact.
He plugged in his American made Tele and the pickup buzz is annoying him while the sound of the amp is otherwise joyful.

Tell me more about the pickup choice.

Thanks,

Matt

DukeX 05-25-2018 12:58 PM

Congrats, RP. A pickup swap/upgrade can make a good guitar great.

jwguitar 05-27-2018 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RP (Post 5737987)
I'd purchased a MIM Butterscotch Standard Telecaster and used an Amazon Gift Card to purchase a set of noiseless vintage pickups. Just got it back from my tech, and WOW, what an improvement on the stock pickups....

I know those noiseless pickups aren't active but that is really why I kind of prefer active pickups is because they are silent and produce the cleanest tone I have ever heard. I have never used the Fender noiseless but I have heard they make a huge difference as opposed to the stock pickups.

Dru Edwards 05-28-2018 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeX (Post 5738694)
Congrats, RP. A pickup swap/upgrade can make a good guitar great.

+1, I was going to say the same thing.

Sounds like a great move, RP. Enjoy.