The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   "smells like teen spirit" (Nirvana) fingerstyle (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495591)

guitarquango 01-07-2018 04:54 AM

"smells like teen spirit" (Nirvana) fingerstyle
 
Hi folks,

after all my recordings of easy-listening and happy tunes i just recorded a coverversion of an old song from Nirvana today:

"smells like teen spirit"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilvkmc3Hk2M

It was just a first idea to arrange an easy coverversion of this great composition. So please don't kill me for it ... ;-)

Greetz & have a nice sunday,

Jimmy

New mastered version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tLKEbHMZRU

delaorden9 01-07-2018 06:51 AM

Hey guitarquango, what a nice job, I reallly like it. The recording quality is beyond YT average...... nice tone of that guitar. I would kick a vox with your arrangement ( I like to sing) specially because I am basically a strummer, but appreciate your rendition. :up:

polarred21 01-07-2018 08:04 PM

That was awesome. :up:

jessupe 01-07-2018 08:34 PM

like the tempo change, nice

guitarquango 01-08-2018 04:02 AM

Thank you so much for your kind words delaorden9, polarred21 & jessupe.
As i recorded this tune i wasn't sure if it's not to simple. The original is one of the most important compositions ever and i'm so happy that someone likes my version... :-) Thanks!!

Greetz & all the best,

Jimmy

Basalt Beach 01-11-2018 10:00 PM

Awesome! i remember hearing it the first time like it was yesterday, and you did a fantastic job mastering it as an acoustic solo piece! My better half was listening across the room and started humming as you played. I suspect this will be added to our learn to play list now!

guitarquango 01-13-2018 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basalt Beach (Post 5599774)
Awesome! i remember hearing it the first time like it was yesterday, and you did a fantastic job mastering it as an acoustic solo piece! My better half was listening across the room and started humming as you played. I suspect this will be added to our learn to play list now!

Thank you so much my friend!! And special greetings to your "better half" ;-)

All the best, J.

JulienC 01-16-2018 01:34 PM

It's a very sweet arrangement! I like it.

mystfingerstyle 01-19-2018 12:48 PM

Great job!
 
Love your relaxed version! It really gives the song a new dimension.

guitarquango 01-23-2018 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mystfingerstyle (Post 5608112)
Love your relaxed version! It really gives the song a new dimension.

Thank you so much for your wonderful compliment. :-)

Greetz, j.

guitarquango 04-15-2019 02:46 AM

Hi folks,

here is a new mastered version of my arrangement from last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tLKEbHMZRU

Hope you like it & lot of greetings,

Jimmy :-)

sportycliff 04-15-2019 07:39 AM

Really dig it!
Great job!

jdmulli 04-15-2019 08:06 AM

Awesome!!!

jmat 04-15-2019 08:48 AM

nice Job Jimmy! Publish the arrangement!

started with 1 04-15-2019 08:48 AM

really fun.

raysachs 04-15-2019 09:12 AM

Songs like this and several other Nirvana songs were generally recorded and performed over such a hard rocked out background that I think a lot of people didn't realize how incredible a lot of Cobain's melodies were. A rendition like this shows that perfectly. Even when he performed them acoustically, his vocals had such a hard edge to them that I think the melodies still got lost for a lot of folks, but just doing a finger style arrangement is great for these tunes. He really was a pretty amazing songwriter in his short life - too bad his demons couldn't have let up and let him explore his gift for a lot longer...

-Ray

rokdog49 04-15-2019 09:38 AM

That was pretty cool.
You made a song I'm not that fond of much better.:)

MrEd 04-15-2019 09:46 AM

Very well crafted Jimmy. I really enjoyed it.

Mike

Pura Vida 04-15-2019 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raysachs (Post 6037008)
Songs like this and several other Nirvana songs were generally recorded and performed over such a hard rocked out background that I think a lot of people didn't realize how incredible a lot of Cobain's melodies were. A rendition like this shows that perfectly. Even when he performed them acoustically, his vocals had such a hard edge to them that I think the melodies still got lost for a lot of folks, but just doing a finger style arrangement is great for these tunes. He really was a pretty amazing songwriter in his short life - too bad his demons couldn't have let up and let him explore his gift for a lot longer...

-Ray

Couldn't have said it any better than this.

guitarquango, nice cover of this iconic song.

Glennwillow 04-15-2019 12:43 PM

Cool job on this Jimmy!

Nirvana came from Aberdeen and environs where I live. Kind of cool to hear your arrangement coming from across the Atlantic Ocean from a group of kids I saw and heard around here, I am thinking, about 30 years ago.

This is well done Jimmy! Very nice listen for me!

- Glenn

raysachs 04-15-2019 01:05 PM

. . . . . . . . . .

moore-fiend 04-15-2019 04:33 PM

That was awesome!!

MF

The Kid! 04-16-2019 01:18 AM

I love it!

guitarquango 04-17-2019 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportycliff (Post 6036895)
Really dig it!
Great job!

Thanks a lot man!!

Greetings, Jimmy

guitarquango 04-17-2019 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmat (Post 6036977)
nice Job Jimmy! Publish the arrangement!

Thank you so much! I'll think about it... ;-)

Greetz, Jimmy

guitarquango 04-17-2019 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raysachs (Post 6037008)
Songs like this and several other Nirvana songs were generally recorded and performed over such a hard rocked out background that I think a lot of people didn't realize how incredible a lot of Cobain's melodies were. A rendition like this shows that perfectly. Even when he performed them acoustically, his vocals had such a hard edge to them that I think the melodies still got lost for a lot of folks, but just doing a finger style arrangement is great for these tunes. He really was a pretty amazing songwriter in his short life - too bad his demons couldn't have let up and let him explore his gift for a lot longer...

-Ray

Thank you so much for your kind words Ray!!

I LOVE this song and for me Cobain was one of the best songwriters of his generation.

Greetings & all the best from Hamburg,

Jimmy

guitarquango 04-17-2019 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rokdog49 (Post 6037047)
That was pretty cool.
You made a song I'm not that fond of much better.:)

Thank you so much my friend.

Greetings, Jimmy

guitarquango 04-17-2019 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrEd (Post 6037053)
Very well crafted Jimmy. I really enjoyed it.

Mike

Thank you very much Mike!

Greetz & all the best, Jimmy :-)

guitarquango 04-17-2019 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pura Vida (Post 6037154)
Couldn't have said it any better than this.

guitarquango, nice cover of this iconic song.

Thanks man!

Greetz, Jimmy :-)

guitarquango 04-17-2019 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glennwillow (Post 6037188)
Cool job on this Jimmy!

Nirvana came from Aberdeen and environs where I live. Kind of cool to hear your arrangement coming from across the Atlantic Ocean from a group of kids I saw and heard around here, I am thinking, about 30 years ago.

This is well done Jimmy! Very nice listen for me!

- Glenn

Thanks my friend! Glad that you like it Glenn.

Greetings, Jimmy


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, The Acoustic Guitar Forum

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=