The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Recorded Ryan Nightingale - Added Outboard Effects (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=625247)

Rick Shepherd 09-05-2021 02:10 PM

Recorded Ryan Nightingale - Added Outboard Effects

Hi,

A few years ago I went to great lengths to try to figure out how to add hardware effects to my recordings after-the-fact. Now I have a different recording interface, the Universal Audio Apollo Twin X. It took me a couple of of hours to figure it out. Hey, maybe I have improved my skills over the years!

Original Recording Chain: I recorded this with my Ryan Nightingale Grand Soloist -> Gefell M300 matched pair -> Avalon AD2022 Mic Preamp -> Universal Audio AD2192 AD/DA Converter -> Apolo Twin X -> Macbook Pro With Logic Pro X.

Outboard Effects Signal Chain: Apollo Twin X interface -> line outputs to Lexicon PCM92 -> PCM92 outputs into Apollo Twin X line inputs -> Macbook Pro using Logic Pro X

Basically, I just love the lush sound of higher end hardware effects. Here is an example of what it sounds like:

Recording With Hardware Effects Added

Note: My B string nut slot needs fixing, and you may hear a slight buzz from it.

Best Regards!

Rick

Glennwillow 09-06-2021 11:35 AM

Your recording sounds lovely, Rick! Really nice!

- Glenn

SprintBob 09-07-2021 05:58 AM

Rick,

That recording is wonderful. Your recording chain is impressive given the quality of your mics, mic preamp, and AD/DA converter going in to the Apollo Twin. Is the UA converter used in lieu of the onboard converter(s) on the Apollo Twin?

For the outboard effects chain, are the Lexicon effects applied during tracking or do you use it for mixing via the inputs/outputs you list below (total rookie question).

Again, always enjoy listening to your recordings. They are all so well done.

Cheers,

Bob

KevWind 09-07-2021 06:44 AM

:up::up::up:

Rick Shepherd 09-07-2021 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SprintBob (Post 6803784)
Rick,

That recording is wonderful. Your recording chain is impressive given the quality of your mics, mic preamp, and AD/DA converter going in to the Apollo Twin. Is the UA converter used in lieu of the onboard converter(s) on the Apollo Twin?

For the outboard effects chain, are the Lexicon effects applied during tracking or do you use it for mixing via the inputs/outputs you list below (total rookie question).

Again, always enjoy listening to your recordings. They are all so well done.

Cheers,

Bob

Hi Bob,

Yes, I use the UA 2192 for conversion instead of the Apollo Twin X converters. I recorded the raw track without effects first, then went back and added Lexicon PCM 92 effects after. Honestly, I went through a lazy period of not using hardware effects, and it took some effort to hook everything up right again, this time with everything patched properly ready to record.

Thanks for the comments!

Rick

alohachris 09-08-2021 10:57 PM

PM'ed Ya, Rickster!

Aloha,

I PM'ed you Rick.

alohachris

MakingMusic 09-14-2021 12:55 PM

The recording is beautiful, Rick. A really nice job and your playing is great, too. Did you write that piece?

rick-slo 09-14-2021 06:20 PM

Sounds good. I have the PCM Native Reverb Plug-in Bundle. Curious how that would compare to the hardware reverb. If you have the recording less the reverb you added it might be interesting to experiment.

AcousticDreams 09-14-2021 08:44 PM

Lovely sounding reverb on your guitar. That Lexicon sounds so nice.
There are so many discussions about hardware versus plug ins. While I can not yet afford a hardware Reverb...I certainly give my vote to its effect on your recording. Very natural and yet opens it up.
And super smooth playing. Wonderful.

Rick Shepherd 09-15-2021 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakingMusic (Post 6809231)
The recording is beautiful, Rick. A really nice job and your playing is great, too. Did you write that piece?

Hi Barry,
It was a song written by Lance Allen, called "On the Horizon".

Rick

MakingMusic 09-17-2021 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd (Post 6810327)
Hi Barry,
It was a song written by Lance Allen, called "On the Horizon".

Rick

I don't know Lance Allen but just played one of his albums on Spotify. He's a good guitarist, as are you. You covered "On the Horizon" quite well. I might learn it myself. Thanks, Rick.