The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Using a CAPO on your Acoustic Bass Guitar (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647256)

AfterViewer 05-26-2022 03:48 PM

Using a CAPO on your Acoustic Bass Guitar

Anyone else here like to use a capo on full size acoustic basses? :D

cliff_the_stiff 05-26-2022 03:50 PM

I’ve never had any need for a capo while playing bass.

AfterViewer 05-26-2022 03:52 PM

OK, I take that as a "no". ;)

Bob from Brooklyn 05-26-2022 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cliff_the_stiff (Post 7009197)

I will second his 'no'.

cliff_the_stiff 05-26-2022 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfterViewer (Post 7009198)
OK, I take that as a "no". ;)

I’m sorry if that came across snarky or rude. was not intended so.

AfterViewer 05-26-2022 04:01 PM

OK. Food for thought. I am not surprised that the use of a capo would be unlikely, even though I use one exclusively on my bass. (second fret only).

Brent Hahn 05-26-2022 05:03 PM

I never really thought about it. My acoustic bass is both long-scale and fretless. Just now I popped on a capo and it worked fine. Is the idea here to capo up to make the open strings higher, or is it to tune to standard EADG but with a shorter scale length?

Steve DeRosa 05-26-2022 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cliff_the_stiff (Post 7009197)

IME if you're really playing bass you're using moveable fingerings, and since the only time I use a capo is to achieve the sonic texture of open strings (almost never used by bass players) there's really no need...

I'm with Cliff...

AfterViewer 05-26-2022 06:13 PM

Hey,Brent. I don't know if anyone else uses a capo on a bass. My reasoning is that some styles of music (World) and modern classic soundtracking in general do not frequent the lowest registers of the 88 key grand piano. Blues, Rock, Reggae, Jazz, Soul/Neo, Bluegrass and country western and other genres use the lower register of the bass guitar and would be missing something if they didn't.
The F# second fret sets your harmonics to create a different vibe... even though you still have the same notes and bass chord structure. Just Like using the F# (second fret capo) on a 6-string acoustic guitar (steel or nylon) for Spanish Classical or Moroccan music, for instance. Much like the flavoring of sound harmonics the 6-string can produce in a way that differs from standard tuning. Most piano music I compose is produced on a much shorter scale (workstation). I would be a very infrequent visitor to the lower keys of an 88-key grand. * I use is a wide heavy- duty elastic strap bar capo (Bill Russell 12 string capo) that seems to be made of a compound (greyish-white) that snugs down on your bass strings with no distortion. My strings are heavy round-wound stainless Elixir's so I am not holding back on string bite/dynamics. I also keep a standard-tuned bass on hand for everything else. I put both through a Roland Cube Bass modeling amp for FX and Clean.

Rudy4 05-26-2022 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfterViewer (Post 7009194)

I had a couple of gigs I was obligated to do during a time of recuperating from a pulverized collarbone injury. I capoed my 34" fretless at the second "fret" position, lowered the pitch a full step and played the gigs. It was a revelation for me and I ended up building myself a 30" scale length fretless and a 30" scale length fretted P bass. I love them both, and won't be going back to a long scale bass.

No need for a capo now!

https://i.imgur.com/m7VuMJ6.jpg

Wade Hampton 05-26-2022 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfterViewer (Post 7009194)

Are you talking about acoustic bass guitars or the bass viol used in jazz, classical and bluegrass music?

whm

AfterViewer 05-26-2022 06:40 PM

Heh-heh. Yeah there is that stretchless comfort zone on the shorter necks. Nice arsenal in pic, Rudy4!

AfterViewer 05-26-2022 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wade Hampton (Post 7009287)
Are you talking about acoustic bass guitars or the bass viol used in jazz, classical and bluegrass music?

whm

Four-string bass guitars.

columbia 05-26-2022 06:44 PM

I mean I really, really don't like acoustic bass guitars, but even if I did I don't think I would use a capo on it.

I think the uke basses (if a 3/4 bass isn't feasible) are much better for accompanying acoustic music.

AfterViewer 05-26-2022 06:48 PM

My other go-to bass is a bass uke.