The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Takamine acoustics (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193462)

folkman2 09-03-2010 07:15 AM

Takamine acoustics

Hi All,
I've noticed over the years that a lot of folks use Takamine acoustics (Eagles come to mind - I saw them a few months ago in Foxboro MA) especially live. Why is that? Is it the pick-up system or are they just really nice guitars? Obviously I don't know much about them. I've never played one.
Also, I'm partial to Jumbo body styles and I am not a fan of cut-aways on acoustics. I see on the Takamine web site that almost all of their Jumdo guitars have cutaways. I think I saw only one that didn't and that one only came in a black finish. I have nothing against black guitars but I'm just wondering why the other models only come in a cut-away.
Anybody know if they have non-cut-away models?
Thanks,
John

Ilovetaylors 09-03-2010 07:27 AM

I brought one because for it's price it had the best sounding guitar plugged in.....

and it sounded okay without.

RevGeo 09-03-2010 07:33 AM

To me, Takamine guitars are like old Peavey amps - They are a good solid workhorse instrument that get the job done. Nothing really fancy about them, just good playing, good sounding guitars that will do the job.
I don't have one right now, but if I was going back on the road and looking for a gig-worthy acoustic/electric, a Tak would be on my short list.

Rev George

garywj 09-03-2010 09:32 AM

Takamine = Big bang for the buck. Every one I own I first liked the look, then liked the way it played, and finally liked the price.

guitargabor 09-03-2010 09:43 AM

I've had some experience with them.Excellent pre amps.

I would recommend the higher end ones made in Japan.Those are truly first class instuments.

Have not been impressed with their "G" series.

brian a. 09-03-2010 10:04 AM

folkman2,

Many touring pros use Takamines because of the consistent plug-and-play nature of the guitars. They are not overly expensive, while they take-a-licking-and-keep-on-ticking. The company also sponsors artist to use their guitars.

Takamine has or has had a few non-cutaway jumbo models. Search both the active and inactive categories for some models. In slightly smaller bodies they offer the Nex and OM models. Both without cutaways.

NewMartinFan 09-03-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garywj (Post 2335816)
Takamine = Big bang for the buck. Every one I own I first liked the look, then liked the way it played, and finally liked the price.

+1 for this opinion. Takamine makes a good guitar for a great price that is designed to be played plugged in.

Aden 09-03-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian a. (Post 2335846)
Takamine has or has had a few non-cutaway jumbo models. Search both the active and inactive categories for some models.

+1 here, I picked up an 82' F360 S recently... Sweetest guitar I've had! Beautifully matured sound, it's a Martin D28 lawsuit model and people think it's a martin by look and sound! Anyway, just my 2p :)

Lacks Focus 09-03-2010 02:41 PM

I had the ply version of their D-28 copy back in the mid '70s and it was a heck of a guitar for the price point, even with that laminated top. After getting it, I finally realized what those Martin look-alikes were in all the Eagles' onstage photos.

I always assumed they used them because they were good sounding, well built guitars that weren't so expensive you felt they needed to be babied when touring. But I guess without asking Glenn Frey himself, we may never know.

guitargeak99 09-03-2010 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitargabor (Post 2335828)
I would recommend the higher end ones made in Japan.Those sre truly first class instuments.

Exactly. Their higher end guitars are made in Japan. These guitars just don't the credit they deserve.

sneaky 09-03-2010 05:44 PM

my 1963 Takamine is a wonderful nylon string, sounds great and is a real beauty to boot.

erivel 09-04-2010 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by folkman2 (Post 2335705)
Hi All,
I've noticed over the years that a lot of folks use Takamine acoustics (Eagles come to mind - I saw them a few months ago in Foxboro MA) especially live. Why is that? Is it the pick-up system or are they just really nice guitars? Obviously I don't know much about them. I've never played one.
Also, I'm partial to Jumbo body styles and I am not a fan of cut-aways on acoustics. I see on the Takamine web site that almost all of their Jumdo guitars have cutaways. I think I saw only one that didn't and that one only came in a black finish. I have nothing against black guitars but I'm just wondering why the other models only come in a cut-away.
Anybody know if they have non-cut-away models?
Thanks,
John

I just received a Takamine EF241S this week, the black jumbo you were referring to. Looks a bit different than the one pictured on the Takamine website (different bridge and added pickguard). It's a fantastic guitar for the price! I do wish they would produce more non-cutaways too. Would love to get my hands on the discontinued NP-15.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4154/...c0b0ed65_b.jpg

lossforgain 09-07-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilfan855 (Post 2336495)
Would love to get my hands on the discontinued NP-15.

An NP-15c was my first pro level acoustic electric in the 90s. I loved that guitar and played it hard. These days I don't think I'd like it as much because of the wood combo (cedar/mahogany), since I'm still primarily a strummer. But I'm happy to have a lot of fond memories of it. If I ever see one for sale I'll certainly check it out though...

marcus20VT 09-07-2010 11:52 AM

I have just sold a Takamine AN10 all solid wood guitar MIJ.
To be honest, I really didn't get on with it. It was comfortable and had a simplistic beauty to it, but for the money it costs I think you can do far better.
I certainly do not agree that they are good value on the basis of this guitar.
I believe that things go in cycles - you use to get hundreds of Ovations played on stage - now it seems you get hundreds of Taks.
I have heard their pre-amp is very good, but have not any experience of it.
If I work out how - I'll try and attach a picture of my old AN10.

Cue Zephyr 09-07-2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garywj (Post 2335816)

Definitely considering the TF430SS now.