The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Touched By Light (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547787)

TBman 05-25-2019 08:14 PM

Touched By Light

This is not a melody driven piece. It's a short freestyle composition that just evolved over a few hours. I started it late last night. I tried a recording in my computer/music room last night with other mics I have through my Focusrite and then I tried with the Zoom and its built in mics and in both cases I wasn't happy with the results. So today I recorded it a few times with my AT2035 pair and in between the lawnmowers and planes overhead I got it done.

I'm experimenting with eq'ing and reverb so I may have a little too much 'verb. I might cut back on that and replace the mp3.

Initially I was using a reference file with Ozone 8 to eq the tune and it was coming out hot like I wanted but the room "noise" was getting multiplied by a lot. I recorded with external mics and a Zoom H5 and I had the gain too low for the mic distance. I had good success with settings at approx 4.5 with the mics in close in the past, but for this I moved the mics back a bit and used a gain of 5 which didn't really work out because I ended up playing too softly.

So all I ended up doing was to normalize and match the L/R gain roughly, and do a little edit for noise and fade out in Rx 7 Elements. I then did a stereo field expansion and added reverb using Audition and that's that. What I learned from this is that I can't just blindly apply the same eq methods to every tune. The circumstances and what sounds good have to dictate what I do (not that I'm inferring this is good, pleasant, maybe, but good.... :D )

Like I said, don't expect to hum along to this, but hopefully you'll find it relaxing to listen to. I'd rather compose things that I find pleasant and relaxing instead of trying to be someone I'm not. I'm not a professional, not Paul Simon or Tommy E. This is it and I enjoy doing this sort of composition.

If I stumble upon a melody in any of my tunes, believe me, its totally by accident :D

Sometimes I'll tap my foot and get a decent beat going and compose to that, but that's not this time :)

Touched By Light

Dustinfurlow 05-27-2019 01:41 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed that, man. Capped off my evening in a great way! :)

ishtar 05-27-2019 04:37 AM

I love it! I have no advice for your technical complications. My skills recording and playing are not as fine. Your efforts may not really satisfy you, but I think you’ve certainly added some beauty to the universe with your ‘Journey’. Thank you!

TBman 05-28-2019 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow (Post 6071568)
I thoroughly enjoyed that, man. Capped off my evening in a great way! :)

Thanks Dustin! :)

TBman 05-29-2019 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishtar (Post 6071601)
I love it! I have no advice for your technical complications. My skills recording and playing are not as fine. Your efforts may not really satisfy you, but I think you’ve certainly added some beauty to the universe with your ‘Journey’. Thank you!

Thanks! I appreciate you listening and commenting. :)

started with 1 05-30-2019 09:04 AM

Nice job. I enjoyed it.

Glennwillow 05-30-2019 12:05 PM

Nice, Barry!

After reading your description of your recording evolution and then listening to the final mixdown, I can hear some of the things you described. Kind of cool being included in your learning process.

I find that I learn something new with each recording project. Sounds like you do, too. :) Nice piece!

- Glenn

TBman 05-30-2019 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by started with 1 (Post 6074162)
Nice job. I enjoyed it.

Thanks S1! :)

TBman 05-31-2019 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glennwillow (Post 6074299)
Nice, Barry!

After reading your description of your recording evolution and then listening to the final mixdown, I can hear some of the things you described. Kind of cool being included in your learning process.

I find that I learn something new with each recording project. Sounds like you do, too. :) Nice piece!

- Glenn

Thanks Glenn! As long as I don't get Microphone Acquisition Syndrome I'll be fine :D

SteveA 06-01-2019 04:58 PM

You know this would be really cool as a meditation piece. You would need to expand it to a minimum of 10 minutes....Seriously, very relaxing. I listen to this stuff all day...Great job

guitarquango 06-02-2019 01:02 AM

What a soulful tune. I love the mood.

Greetings, Jimmy

TBman 06-02-2019 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveA (Post 6076219)
You know this would be really cool as a meditation piece. You would need to expand it to a minimum of 10 minutes....Seriously, very relaxing. I listen to this stuff all day...Great job

Thanks for listening and commenting Steve. It's greatly appreciated :)

TBman 06-04-2019 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarquango (Post 6076446)
What a soulful tune. I love the mood.

Greetings, Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy! :)