The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Summertime (Gershwin) (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252576)

Gerhard Gschossmann 05-23-2012 01:07 PM

Summertime (Gershwin)

Hi,
I am new to this forum and found "show and tell", where other guitar players show their playing. Thatīs very interesting for me.

Allthough I am no professional player, I did compose some pieces and I also do some arrangements of jazz standards for solo guitar.
Here is my version of Gershwinīs summertime - I hope you like it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt8Du..._order&list=UL

Many greetings from Germany
Gerhard

Hockgow 05-23-2012 02:28 PM

I really enjoyed it. Well done

stevejazzx 05-23-2012 02:40 PM

I enjoyed that a lot, great playing - will now steal your ideas for my arrangement!:)

mesa 05-23-2012 09:18 PM

I liked it very much, Gerhard. Very nice playing.....Welcome to AGF!

ljguitar 05-23-2012 10:10 PM

Hi Gerhard...

First of all, Hello and Welcome to the Forum!

Wow what a wonderful arrangement!

How did you go about arranging it?

Kerbie 05-24-2012 04:47 AM

That's great, Gerhard! I really enjoyed it and hope you will post some more. My favorite Gershwin tune. Thanks for sharing.

Gerhard Gschossmann 05-24-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljguitar (Post 3050594)
Hi Gerhard...

First of all, Hello and Welcome to the Forum!

Wow what a wonderful arrangement!

How did you go about arranging it?

Hi,
sometimes it is quite easy for me to find an entry to arrange a song. In other times it takes me a lot of trying.... With Summertime after a couple of efforts I finally found a piano score, that brought me to the first 2 chords of the intro (no straight chords but a kind mixing the harmony ... and that was my entry for this piece, the rest I found out in a couple of hours ....

Many greetings
Gerhard

pf400 05-25-2012 09:23 AM

I just love the bluesy vibe...nice going and I would indeed classify your arrangement and performance as "professional". Mind if I ask you what the 4** primary chords for the main verse ? **Correct me if I'm wrong.

Fun quote from Tommy Emmanuel last week here...." I've received a lot of requests during the intermission, but I'll just keep playing anyway" !

VegasGeorge 05-25-2012 09:50 AM

Oh, SO nice! If someday I could play just a little bit like you, I'd be very happy. Great job!

Paikon 05-25-2012 02:39 PM

wow cool!!!...but i think the basses are a bit too loud

Bob1131 05-25-2012 07:27 PM

Excellent arrangement and performance!! I enjoyed listening from start to finish!

ljguitar 05-26-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggemg (Post 3051363)
Hi,
sometimes it is quite easy for me to find an entry to arrange a song. In other times it takes me a lot of trying.... With Summertime after a couple of efforts I finally found a piano score, that brought me to the first 2 chords of the intro (no straight chords but a kind mixing the harmony ... and that was my entry for this piece, the rest I found out in a couple of hours ....

Many greetings
Gerhard

Hi Gerhard...
Thanks for the insight into your process.

I am playing this for my wife and she called it Sultry, and Gutsy, and suggested I learn it or something like it for when I'm doing solo gigs (I am in an acoustic duo).

Thought you'd think her comments appropriate...

I don't find the bass overbearing in the least...

Gerhard Gschossmann 05-26-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljguitar (Post 3053307)
Hi Gerhard...
Thanks for the insight into your process.

I am playing this for my wife and she called it Sultry, and Gutsy, and suggested I learn it or something like it for when I'm doing solo gigs (I am in an acoustic duo).

Thought you'd think her comments appropriate...

I don't find the bass overbearing in the least...

Hi Larry,
seems like your wife liked my playing....
And yes, for me, it is totally different to play with another guitarist or with a band. Because most of the time, I donīt have other music friends araound me, I tried to play it all my own... and learned and developed a kind of style like classical guitar players. When playing with a band,I have to reduce my playing or better should play other things, that fits to the sound of the band. Thatīs the reason, that sometimes I think, this are two different kind of instruments.... meaning I have to practice the other side, what I miss now, when I am concentrated on solo playing....

Many greetings from Germany
Gerhard

Gerhard Gschossmann 05-26-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pf400 (Post 3052337)
I just love the bluesy vibe...nice going and I would indeed classify your arrangement and performance as "professional". Mind if I ask you what the 4** primary chords for the main verse ? **Correct me if I'm wrong.

Fun quote from Tommy Emmanuel last week here...." I've received a lot of requests during the intermission, but I'll just keep playing anyway" !

Hi Neil,
I am not quite sure, what you mean with the 4** chords - or if you just joke about what looks like lot of stuff..... but it "simply" is mixing chords an melody of a song, sometimes including a bass line....
The main chords are: Em6 / B7 / Am / F#m7-5 / B7
The interesting thing - in my opinion - is, that the upper tones move up two half-tones, but the bass changes from E to B !! - not to F# !!
Looking at the upper tones from Em6 that is e-g-c#. If you play an E-Bass, its Em6, if you play an A-Bass it becomes A7 - that is, what I called the sound of "mixing the harmonies"....

Many greetings
Gerhard

Steve Berger 05-26-2012 07:11 PM

Hi Gerhard - I'm very impressed with your arrangement and performance of this great old song. You have wonderful touch and technique and your chord choices are very cool. I've just discovered your music here on the AGF and I am looking forward to hearing your other song posts.