The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Are you converted? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=479331)

Stratcat77 08-10-2017 12:05 PM

Are you converted?

I see a lot of guys on here who appear to be purist acoustic guys who may have been strictly acoustic players the entire time they've played guitar. I also see some who appear to still play electric quite a bit also.

About 5 years ago, I made the switch from being nearly 100% an electric player to a 100% acoustic player. Never dreamed I'd be happy just playing acoustic, but I really have fallen in love with it and don't miss firing up my electrics for a number of reasons:
  • weight and complexity of set up
  • endless search for the holy grail of tone and as a result
  • a never ending GAS issue with amps and pedals
  • the late nights that come with band gigs
  • the trailer full of gear that comes with band gigs
  • I've really fallen in love with everything about my Taylors

So I'm curious, how many of you would consider yourself a convert, meaning you were at one time totally focused on playing electric and now find yourself totally into just playing acoustic?

Kerbie 08-10-2017 12:07 PM

No, I've enjoyed playing electrics, but I've always preferred acoustics. Just makes me a diehard, I guess... :D

George Henry 08-10-2017 12:11 PM

I've been all acoustic since 1977 or so. Bye bye Strat and Gretsch Country Club. Although both my Breedlove and Gallagher have pickups, I don't use them and I sold my amp.

Jambi 08-10-2017 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stratcat77 (Post 5439731)
I see a lot of guys on here who appear to be purist acoustic guys who may have been strictly acoustic players the entire time they've played guitar. I also see some who appear to still play electric quite a bit also.

About 5 years ago, I made the switch from being nearly 100% an electric player to a 100% acoustic player. Never dreamed I'd be happy just playing acoustic, but I really have fallen in love with it and don't miss firing up my electrics for a number of reasons:
  • weight and complexity of set up
  • endless search for the holy grail of tone and as a result
  • a never ending GAS issue with amps and pedals
  • the late nights that come with band gigs
  • the trailer full of gear that comes with band gigs
  • I've really fallen in love with everything about my Taylors

So I'm curious, how many of you would consider yourself a convert, meaning you were at one time totally focused on playing electric and now find yourself totally into just playing acoustic?

My story is similar to yours. For many years I thought acoustics were 'grandpa guitars' (Metalocalypse reference) and were only suitable to the occasional ballad. I quick playing all together for a few years until I stumbled onto the Mike Dawes/Andy McKee/Erik Mongrain scene. The idea of percussion intermingled with the guitar sparked a keen interest and I quickly became obsessed with the idea of a complete, full sounding piece of music played on a single guitar.

Now that I've gotten better at the style I've come to find it easy to overdo and now I'm redoubling my efforts on subtle percussion and fundamentals of acoustic, like finger patterns. Every bit is incredibly rewarding as I had reached the place in electric that I was happy with and began to stagnate.

Br1ck 08-10-2017 12:17 PM

I have way too many electric guitars as I had a building phase with partscasters. I just think you need a band to really use them. I got out my tweed champ the other day. Too loud.

Mostly I've played electric bass.

So it's pretty much acoustic now. Always had one.

KevWind 08-10-2017 12:17 PM

More like reconverted.... I started acoustic in 64 dabbled with electric a bit off and on 66 -69.
Then went entirely acoustic. Just this last fall got back in electric also, enjoy both, probably for the differences. :guitar:

Guest4562 08-10-2017 12:19 PM

Depends on what my main gig happens to be at any moment. Right now it's acoustic, although I play with a rock band twice a year for charities. So, I keep my hand in both and never really was all one way or the other.

Glennwillow 08-10-2017 12:20 PM

Hi Stratcat,

I started out as an acoustic player and developed my skills oriented towards the acoustic guitar. Somewhere in my early 30s I bought an electric guitar, but just doodled with it for about 7 or 8 years until I started a music business and needed the electric guitar for a variety of sounds and styles. Then I bought more electric equipment including a few other electric guitars.

Once I moved away from the music business in my mid-40s, I needed my electric gear way less and went back mostly to playing acoustic. But when I do a multi-track project, I often find that I want an electric guitar in the mix.

So I have kept my electric gear and use it occasionally. If I sold the electric gear off, there would be times I would miss it, but I could probably function without it. I like having the option available, I have the room for the extra equipment, I am not desperate for the money right now, so... that's my story!!! :lol:

- Glenn

fitness1 08-10-2017 12:21 PM

Haven't owned an electric for more than a month since '82 when I bought my first good acoustic. Every few years I get the itch, then it passes pretty quickly.

Earl49 08-10-2017 12:25 PM

I own one electric guitar (a Taylor T5) that mostly gets used for hand rehab after some injury when I need something easier to play. I also own 14 acoustic guitars, most of which get played regularly (at least once a month).

Never really got into playing the electric guitar -- I think of it as a different instrument altogether -- but enjoy listening to it.

Bob from Brooklyn 08-10-2017 12:40 PM

I've always played both. Lately it's been more acoustic but I'm armed and loaded when the muse to go electric strikes me. :)

FrankHudson 08-10-2017 12:42 PM

No, not converted, though I love acoustic guitar and first played an acoustic.

Electric guitar and acoustic guitar: to a great extent, different instruments.

They share a fretboard, but then a harpsicord, a pipe organ, some accordions and a high end keyboard synth share a keyboard.

I don't feel like I have to choose, anymore than I have to choose between electric bass, dulcimer, keyboards, etc.

markrj 08-10-2017 12:46 PM

Been acoustic since the start. I dabbled in electric guitar. Bought a 72 Fender Mustang for $75 a few years back. Profited nicely from that one. lol I actually still own an electric guitar and bass. I hardly ever play them.

Tico 08-10-2017 12:49 PM

I played only acoustic for over 50 years.
Last year I bought a Gibson ES-335 and I am loving it!!!!

Granted, it doesn't hurt a bit that the 335 is one of the holy grail electrics.

Stratcat77 08-10-2017 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earl49 (Post 5439756)
-- I think of it as a different instrument altogether -- but enjoy listening to it.

It really is. Having been almost entirely electric for 35 years before switching teams, I can say that it used to drive me nuts to hear some guys who were primarily acoustic players trying to play electric... often painful. It's like organ vs piano - TOTALLY different approach. You do not strum a distorted electric guitar!?!!? I played with a guy who did - ugh. horrible sound.

That said, there are probably some pure acoustic guys who may hear me play acoustic and say, "man, you can tell he's an electric player"?!?!